What Is The Last Film You Watched? (Older Films)

Mr. Breathmask

1 hour ago, Stefancos said:

You might actually really like it. Its far more comic book like and pulpy than the uber serious and "profound" The Dark Knight. Batman finally has a hoverplane!

Except it's unintentionally so. So it mostly feels misguided.

Blood Diamond, huh? Rather boring in the beginning, but as it progressed, I started liking it more and more, huh? Ending was very sad, and even though I'm a supporter of 'film score should illustrate images', I wish they would stop putting wailing female solos with African things during dramatic passages , huh? I don't like those, huh?

Airport, 1970

yes ripe for parody even then and a film that left Burt Lancaster exasperated anyone would watch it never mind be nominated for Oscars but it's a guilty pleasure viewing. From Newman's main theme (and score generally, the emergency landing is a favourite of mine), to Lancaster, Martin, Bisset, Hayes et al down to the priest doing a quick cross of the chest before slapping the hysterical idiot as the plane comes in to crash-land.

But, honourable mention goes to last to the late George Kennedy. Joe Patroni should've had his own TV series. Pre-empting MacGuyver.

10 hours ago, Stefancos said:

In TGP's mind you did. He's a Religious Nolan Fanatic!

Though it was refreshing that we could talk Batman without the usual interference of the Nolanites. I guess they are getting tired of the repetition here.

Pinocchio

Watched this for my film class. I watched this like and infinity times as a little kid, but I haven't seen it since I was like five, so it was almost like watching it for the first time. Pretty good. Didn't change my life or anything

Nausicaa of the Valley of the Winds

I went with my roommate to see this because the international cinema program was showing it on film, and I'd only seen it once. The first time I saw it, I wasn't really paying attention (and I think I had to leave early), so this was a good chance to actually watch it. I really really like this film. The visual storytelling is awesome. My roommate brought up a really good point about how WWII affected how Japan views the apocalypse differently than it did the West. I definitely realized there was a difference, even if I don't know exactly what it was. 

1 hour ago, Hawmy said:

Pinocchio

Watched this for my film class. I watched this like and infinity times as a little kid, but I haven't seen it since I was like five, so it was almost like watching it for the first time. Pretty good. Didn't change my life or anything

It's The Hero's Journey ... again!

Yes, she did fine with what she was given, but the script is just so stupid.  The first, I dunno, 10-15 minutes were pretty good, though.

Titanic

I've been watching it over the course of several nights since I take pills that put me to sleep. I would have to say that it's my favorite movie. It's part of a trilogy of my top movies that occasionally swap places, which also includes Batman Returns and E.T.

I was watching the Blu-ray for the first time. Pretty awesome. Even on my Sony Trinitron which was manufactured not long after the movie was originally released, it looks stunning. Makes me want to call bullshit on HDTVs. I probably won't watch the 2005 special edition again, but I'll keep it for the superior packaging.

10 Cloverfield Lane. It was actually quite entertaining. Bit ridiculous but solid performances really help to sell it. The score is mixed really loud in this, probably even bit too overBearing (see what I did there?) at times. But hey, at least it does something.

What I love most about this film is that it proves that you don't need huge budgets to really make a great entertaining blockbuster. 

Karol

13 minutes ago, Quintus said:

Oh it's a little portable. I'm guessing you're having to make do with it mate. I'd been thinking you were doing a Drax, and owning one as your big main screen just to be "trendy". 

You mean, I never told you the tale? I had a 34" FD Trinitron WEGA from the noughties. It even had an HDMI input. After I had a mental breakdown and went to the other side of country, the contents of my room were removed. In the case of the WEGA, it was discarded due to its enormous size and complete lack of portability. It was carelessly dumped into the garage on a dolly (But then, who could blame them when it's so massive and heavy? I hired guys to get it up to the second floor!) and eventually picked up on big trash day. When I returned to California, I immediately began searching Craigslist for a new Trinitron. I saw this one and immediately fell in love. It looks just like the models featured in the 1998 Godzilla! I even picked it up from the neighborhood where they filmed E.T. I knew it was meant for me.

19 hours ago, Jay said:

Yes, she did fine with what she was given, but the script is just so stupid.  The first, I dunno, 10-15 minutes were pretty good, though.

Towards the end when she's morphed into some sort of supercomputer made of black jelly ... fucking hell. Terrible.  

Terrible!  Such a stupid movie that just got stupider as it went, with the ending being the worst part of the whole movie.  I can't believe they want to make a sequel!  ScarJo should stear clear of the Lucy "franchise" and focuse on Ghost in the Shell and Black Widow movies :up:

6 minutes ago, Jay said:

I can't believe they want to make a sequel! 

Rotten Tomatoes: 67%

Metacritic: 61/100

IMDb: 6.4/10

I know, I'm shocked as well. I don't know what people see in it.

serendipity-movie.jpg (792×456)

Serendipity

Watched this over the holidays.  A small classic from 2001, with a silly plot but really nice performances by John Cusack, Kate Beckinsale, Jeremy Piven, Eugene Levy, and Molly Shannon make it entirely watchable.   Nice wintry imagery in New York City doesn't hurt either, Silvestri scored it, but I don't remember anything about the score.

Tinker Tailor Soldier Spy - not having seen the acclaimed BBC adaptation or read the book I can't compare, but the overall consensus seemed to be that this does a good job of fitting the novel into a 2-hour movie. It's certainly absorbing, and has a stellar British cast.    

Very much the flipside to the likes of Bond in its portrayal of the intelligence business, and one would reckon a good deal closer to the truth of same.