What Is The Last Film You Watched? (Older Films)

Mr. Breathmask

What's wrong with An Unexpected Journey outside the film?

It felt too much like deja vu for the most part and the new material didn't engage me on an emotional level.

Lee - who liked the fighting mechs at the end of District 9 and appreciated that he could actually make out what was going on compared to other fighting robot movies.

I agree with AUJ. Taken on it's own it's a very good score. But on an emotional level, themes, action it just is a tad below the 3 LOTR scores. And it isn't have enough of an own identity to counter that. (how can it, considering the film is a retread of FOTR?)

Yeah but those movies can do with scores like this, GRAVITY would have been much richer with a more thoughtful musical approach.

I liked most of Gravity's score. It did a nice job of doubling for the non existing sound effects and building atmosphere. But the finale is just too much with its run of the mill modern Hollywood heroic bombast. As far as I recall, it's good up to the point where the choir comes in.

RED 2

The first clearly didn't need a sequel, and it shows. Most of the returning cast (especially John Malkovich) do try to compensate for the regurgitated cliches, and they don't do much with the new actors. But there's scattered scenes that hint at a better film -- like Helen Mirren pulling double duty as a sniper while on a romantic picnic is hilarious.

This is like the fifth film in a row where Bruce Willis shows up for the paycheck -- and he's noticeably bored throughout. Maybe he should do a McConaughey and go for quality than quantity.

district 9 was a tale of two movies, the first half was very good the second half was not. I did make me never want to visit south africa,

elysium is the movie that had a bad Jodie Foster performance. it should be banned

Goodbye, Mr. Chips (1969)

220px-ChipsPoster.JPG

What a wonderful discovery for me. I liked it a lot and I did not expect to shed some tears by viewing a musical!

Then you have to watch Fiddler on the Roof.

I have this one on DVD :-) Want to see Tom Sawyer next... The trilogy will be complete I guess!

Where have you been, living under a rock? It just broke box office records for November openings but I thought the original was waaaaaay better.

I hope you don't shyly tell us you have seen HUNGER GAMES 2 before GRAVITY?

Disappointed to hear Quints reaction, I've only heard good things about the movie and was hoping it'd be true.

Children of Paradise

It's still one of the most underrated classics out there. Marcel Carne neatly and expertly weaves the intertwining loves of Garance, their lives and the heart of the city within the expanse of a theater. And there's just a quiet, understated, and magnetic charge whenever Arletty is on screen... that's how her presence enlivens the film. And the mime sequences are still funny and poignant.

And another facet of why the film works so well, it feels both simple and elegantly complex at the same time. Just amazing.

0ZnwvTO.jpg

Load of rubbish didn't live up to the hype.

the load of rubbish is your reaction to the superior sequel

You saw it in the cinema?

Yes, avant-premiere at 22.30. A terrible experience. Too many people ... and they all stuff themselves with candy and snacks. Also, why do people feel the need to talk each time there is no dialog? Very annoying.

Alex

0ZnwvTO.jpg

Load of rubbish didn't live up to the hype.

the load of rubbish is your reaction to the superior sequel

Heh heh... I actually thought this was just some spoof poster made by someone online somewhere, it amused me. But then after posting it here last night I realised it was an ACTUAL REAL movie! Gawd lawd.

I wouldn't call it a "load of rubbish' but what made me connect to the first film wasn't there in the second one. In the end, I was entertained, but somehow not satisfied. And the film definitely has some bad moments or not so good ideas.

Alex

Almost everyone here didn't care about the first Hunger Games movie. I was one of the few who praised it.

I'm pretty sure I'll like this one too

I praised it too, its a good film. Just a bit too long though imo. Could comfortably lose twenty minutes or so and be a much tighter film.

As a visceral experience it is great.

If you go into unnecessary and redundant character development... well, that's where the problems start.

But the spactacle is so nice to watch anyway, that even Bullcok's awful nasal voice penetrating the soundtrack for most of the running time didn't spoil the spectacle.

Karol

Hunger Games Catching Fire. It can seem a bit long at times and a few corny moments, but on the whole it kept me emotionally involved the whole time and was very faithful to the book, and the acting was top notch by everyone. I'd see it again

Hamlet_1996_poster.jpg

Fucking brilliant, left me exhausted by the end in a good way. Excellent directing and performances all around, specially the Charlton Heston cameo. Brought me to tears! Billy Cristal totally stole his scene; and of course Branagh and the rest of the leads are brilliant too. Was particularly impressed with Winslet, truly terrific performance.

Also, being a Shakespeare fan and my two favorite works of him being Hamlet and King Lear, I absolutely adored seeing the most-complete version out there -at least that I'm aware of. There was a lot of stuff that I didn't remember from my previous reads. Now I'm interested in re-reading it and watching the Olivier version to compare.

I always find it amazing how much I identify with Hamlet's character. Can't tell exactly why...

The only down-side was some of the too rushed editing. I got that this movie was going for a really agressive editing, but in some instances I wish they would have let the movie breath a little more. But I guess they felt it was already too long and didn't want to extend it any further. But four or five more minutes to a four hour movie wouldn't hurt.

9.5/10