Howard Shore's An Unexpected Journey (Hobbit Part 1)

Jay

Nonsense. My natural curiosity and film music fan obsession would never allow me to leave such things lying around untouched. Even if they lay by the wayside I would pick them up and play them in 2.0 stereo on my DVD player and have done so.

So its confirmed that this is the full score? I find it rather strange that the whole score would be out as the first release...

And does that mean we won't get a gorgeous Complete Recordings set? (since there are doubts that we'll even get EEs) :(

But isn't it still kind of awesome at the same time to get the complete score as the first CD release? :)

The DVD audio might be one thing we are missing but I honestly have played those CR DVDs once each.

I've removed my CD DVDs from the rubber nubs precisely once: to make a HDD backup.

It's almost surreal that we're basically getting the 'Complete Recordings' even before the film comes out. And how awesome will that be when watching it - to not have to worry about whether that amazing cue you just heard is on that single disc :)

I'm surprised that the regular edition is 2 discs as well though - you'd think Shore might abridge it more to 1 disc for the mainstream audience. It will be interesting to see how much he cut to make the regular edition.

BTW, why the suggestion of buying both versions? I would imagine the 'unextended' tracks are just microedited to omit material Shore felt was less important or repetitive.

I can't imagine the OST contains every note of music heard in the film. I expect these CDs were locked before the recording sessions were finished. Probably around 2 weeks ago.

Heck, PJ could ask for a rewrite of a cue tomorrow, it could be recorded Monday, and put into the film mix on Tuesday. There's still plenty of time to go before the NZ premiere on Nov 28th.

I don't see why that would cause a problem. If Shore has decided on the structure of the album, then there's surely no reason the master has to have been locked even now. It would only affect the track times, and even in the worst case, we've seen plenty of tracklists change just before release.

Plus, RotK is the only one of the previous films that I recall having an 'up to the minute' recording schedule. I believe most sessions just take place over 2-3 days, with maybe the odd pickup, and that's the end of it?

Yeah the difference in price is striking. Amazon.co.uk has the regular for £10, and Deluxe for £22 - WTF?

I guess they know what they're doing, but a single disc regular set, and 2-disc complete set seems much more logical. I can imagine some confused buyers as well. Imagine trying to explain to a casual music fan what a 'microedit' is.

Maybe more expensive/time consuming to do the actual editing to edit down to 1 disc? Clutching at straws for reasoning here...

(However, don't let these musings dampen the enthusiasm for the full release - hell yeah!)

So its confirmed that this is the full score? I find it rather strange that the whole score would be out as the first release...

And does that mean we won't get a gorgeous Complete Recordings set? (since there are doubts that we'll even get EEs) :(

But isn't it still kind of awesome at the same time to get the complete score as the first CD release? :)

It certainly is. But I just find it awfully suspicious....almost too good to be true...

And I want my 5.1 audio disk :P

The product description on Amazon says that the SE will be a "2 CD hardcover digibook", which might warrant some of the cost, the packaging being fancier than on the regular edition with longer liner notes plus there is the bonus music and extended pieces. I agree that the 10$ more for the Special Edition seems strangely high but it is a special edition after all and as Koray says it should be thought as one of the premium catalogue releases. Also it is obvious they want to keep the regular release in regular price range for the casual fans but offer generously 2 CDs of music instead of one, which I think is quite classy. Die hard fans will just have to pay a little more for the fuller experience.

I'll probably stick with the ost presentation at least initially. If I REALLY like what I hear during the movie I'll upgrade. I haven't felt an expanded score was essential since Avatar.

When it comes to Middle Earth music Shore has my complete trust that he delivers so I won't hesitate to buy the Special Edition. If and that is a remote if the regular edition has anything extra in comparison with the special edition I might consider getting it.

The DVD audio might be one thing we are missing but I honestly have played those CR DVDs once each.

I've removed my CD DVDs from the rubber nubs precisely once: to make a HDD backup.

It's almost surreal that we're basically getting the 'Complete Recordings' even before the film comes out. And how awesome will that be when watching it - to not have to worry about whether that amazing cue you just heard is on that single disc :)

I'm surprised that the regular edition is 2 discs as well though - you'd think Shore might abridge it more to 1 disc for the mainstream audience. It will be interesting to see how much he cut to make the regular edition.

BTW, why the suggestion of buying both versions? I would imagine the 'unextended' tracks are just microedited to omit material Shore felt was less important or repetitive.

I guess Shore wanted to give even the most casual fan an extended soundtrack experience this time with the price of a single CD. And I really hope that the unextended regular OST tracks are just that, only microedited for listening experience.

As suggested before in this thread the four bonus tracks are likely alternate or unused cues, early demos or perhaps pieces specifically conceived for the album itself.

I can't imagine the OST contains every note of music heard in the film. I expect these CDs were locked before the recording sessions were finished. Probably around 2 weeks ago.

Heck, PJ could ask for a rewrite of a cue tomorrow, it could be recorded Monday, and put into the film mix on Tuesday. There's still plenty of time to go before the NZ premiere on Nov 28th.

I don't see why that would cause a problem. If Shore has decided on the structure of the album, then there's surely no reason the master has to have been locked even now. It would only affect the track times, and even in the worst case, we've seen plenty of tracklists change just before release.

Plus, RotK is the only one of the previous films that I recall having an 'up to the minute' recording schedule. I believe most sessions just take place over 2-3 days, with maybe the odd pickup, and that's the end of it?

I think FotR sessions took about a month and started in September and ended in October. We have to take in consideration that there were also no ambitious plans of releasing the soundtrack with such extensive treatment for LotR music on the first go so there was no preparation for such a production. With planning I see no reason why the final and finished music for the film couldn't not have been prepared for CD release, even if there were pick-ups.

“Song of the Lonely Mountain”

Music by

NEIL FINN

DAVID DONALDSON

STEVE ROCHE

JANET RODDICK

DAVID LONG

Lyrics by

NEIL FINN

Performed and Produced by

NEIL FINN

(from http://warnerbros201...?film=thehobbit)

Steve Roche, Janet Roddick and David Donaldson are better known as Plan 9, who contributed most of the source music in the LOTR trilogy.

Flaming Red Hair was sort of nice for the main bit you hear under the fireworks, but it soon tires on me. Didn't include it in my set.

Passing of the Elves on the other hand is wonderful - I'd welcome anything in that style.

---

Edit - wrong Finn. I'm sure this one will be good.

Wow that sounds awful. I hope he won't be singing the song himself or he has had some singing lessons before that.

I know, you should not record songs if you can't sing. ;)

His style of crooning didn't sound good to me that's all. Perhaps his vocal talents are more multifaceted than that Narnia song can reveal.

“Song of the Lonely Mountain”

Music by

NEIL FINN

DAVID DONALDSON

STEVE ROCHE

JANET RODDICK

DAVID LONG

Lyrics by

NEIL FINN

Performed and Produced by

NEIL FINN

(from http://warnerbros201...?film=thehobbit)

Steve Roche, Janet Roddick and David Donaldson are better known as Plan 9, who contributed most of the source music in the LOTR trilogy.

Nice work!

Amazon.co.uk has the regular for £10, and Deluxe for £22

cool... about 10 euros cheaper than on CDON. I'll definitely be getting it from amazon then...

Passing of the Elves on the other hand is wonderful - I'd welcome anything in that style.

hear, hear!

Has anyone noticed the SE cover looks like the Narnia SE cover or FOTR Complete Recordings?

That has not escaped my notice. Once parts II and III are out in the same way, they will look stunning sharing the same shelf with the Complete Recordings. I suspect they are attempting to sort of match that style.

cool... about 10 euros cheaper than on CDON. I'll definitely be getting it from amazon then...

Something tells me the price will drop slightly before December. It usually does.

Karol

Something tells me the price will drop slightly before December. It usually does.

Karol

Strange, it just raised by £2.

Although Amazon.com has it for $22, which is about 1/3 less than us. What's the excuse this time?

As much as it seems wrong to pay so much, we are basically buying a CR.

This is so great. I preordered both versions. Going to be a long month+ wait...

I must have listened to that Misty Mountains section from the trailer 50+ times.

why people complain about the higher price of the SE?

You have a nicer package, liner notes and a lot of bonus tracks, as richard Penna mentioned it's like buying a CR. Which were more expensive. And if you have in mind they done have a DVD-A, it is a shorter 2CD score and that, the price is perfect for a 2cd set....

At the moment Amazon UK sells the regular soundtrack album for 9 £ and the Special Edition for 24,56£. That is quite a difference.

At the moment Amazon UK sells the regular soundtrack album for 9 £ and the Special Edition for 24,56£. That is quite a difference.

The difference is large enough to consider just sticking with the OST...oh wait, no it isn't!

Here is the Special Edition track list, where you can see the extended versions of cues plus the extra tracks at the end of the second disc. Also Doug Adams' liner notes as he mentioned in this thread will be more deluxe than on the regular edition.

DISC 1:

1. My Dear Frodo

2. Old Friends (Extended Version)

3. An Unexpected Party (Extended Version)

4. Blunt the Knives performed by The Dwarf Cast (Exclusive Special Edition track)

5. Axe or Sword?

6. Misty Mountains performed by Richard Armitage and The Dwarf Cast

7. The Adventure Begins

8. The World is Ahead

9. An Ancient Enemy

10. Radagast the Brown (Extended Version)

11. The Trollshaws (Exclusive Special Edition track)

12. Roast Mutton (Extended Version)

13. A Troll-hoard

14. The Hill of Sorcery

15. Warg-scouts

DISC 2:

1. The Hidden Valley

2. Moon Runes (Extended Version)

3. The Defiler

4. The White Council (Extended Version)

5. Over Hill

6. A Thunder Battle

7. Under Hill

8. Riddles in the Dark

9. Brass Buttons

10. Out of the Frying-Pan

11. A Good Omen

12. Song of the Lonely Mountain (Extended Version) performed by Neil Finn

13. Dreaming of Bag End

EXCLUSIVE BONUS TRACKS:

14. A Very Respectable Hobbit

15. Erebor

16. The Dwarf Lords

17. The Edge of the Wild

The difference is large enough to consider just sticking with the OST...oh wait, no it isn't!

You got that damn straight!

Hey thanks for the heads up Alice! Obviously I have to ponder a bit more where to get this release. The difference in the price can be as much as 10 € depending on the retailer.

How much is that in Euro?

About 17 € for the regular and and 26€ for the Special Edition.

Here in Belgium the regular edition is €20 and the special edition is €25.

I don't know about the Netherlands... It doesn't yet seem to be available there.

Hey thanks for the heads up Alice! Obviously I have to ponder a bit more where to get this release. The difference in the price can be as much as 10 € depending on the retailer.

yeah, me too. in the meantime, it's fun to look for the best prices. speaking of which, found it here for 189 kr and €20, £15 . free shipping too!

I'm sure the CDON price will drop though. they usually have the best prices.

Cheers for the link Incanus, it's appreciated.

For my money there definitely ISN'T enough extra music there to justify the fifteen pounds added expense right now. However, if the score is GREAT (as I suspect it will be) and those track times are significantly extended then I'll no doubt make the splash further down the line. But a blind buy? No. Movie first.

The prices are fluctuating quite a bit but I think all will settle closer to the release date.

But I have to say when it comes to Howard Shore and Middle Earth music, I trust him to deliver as assuredly as John Williams with his scores, which means an instant buy for me.

Cheers for the link Incanus, it's appreciated.

For my money there definitely ISN'T enough extra music there to justify the fifteen pounds added expense right now. However, if the score is GREAT (as I suspect it will be) and those track times are significantly extended then I'll no doubt make the splash further down the line. But a blind buy? No. Movie first.

i dont understand...

you dont want to pay 10-12 buck more now, but you will in the future. So it will be OST 10 bucks plut SE 22 bucks.

And lets face it, it's Shore and Middle Earth... even if one does not want to it buy blind, it will be very difficult not to like it.

So it's better to invest in the SE now...