LINCOLN, RISE OF THE GUARDIANS on Cinematic Sound Radio

Erik Woods

UPDATE: October 26, 2012

THIS JUST IN #19

featuring LINCOLN and RISE OF THE GUARDIANS

On our first new and recent CD releases program of the year… I know, we are almost at the end of the year… we have a massive 3 hour plus program lined up for you that could go down as one of the very best episodes of Cineamtic Sound ever produced based on the musical selections alone. Every single score that you will hear is dynamite!

We open the program with the radio premiere of music from Steven Spileberg’s new film LINCOLN featuring music by John Williams. You will also hear music from RISE OF THE GUARDIANS and ARGO – both scores composed by Alexandre Desplat. Also scheduled is music from CLOUD ATLAS by Tom Tykwer, Reinhold Heil and Johnny Klimek, LO IMPOSIBLE (THE IMPOSSIBLE) by Fernando Velazquez, THUNDERCATS by Kevin Kliesch, GREEN LANTERN: THE ANIMATED SERIES by Frederik Wiedmann and FRANKENWEENIE by Danny Elfman.

During the course of the program you will also hear short selections from FOR GREATER GLORY: THE TRUE STORY OF CRISTIADA by James Horner, PARADE’S END by Dirk Brosse, TROUBLE WITH THE CURVE by Marco Beltrami, THE PIRATES! BAND OF MISFITS by Theodore Shapiro and PARANOMAN by Jon Brion.

By the way, if you were wondering where THIS JUST IN #18 is, I’m still editing it! It was supposed to premiere the same time as this program but I got a bit behind. THIS JUST IN #18 will be a 2012 new and recent CD releases round-up program. Stay tuned…

http://www.cinematic...his-just-in-19/

Visit www.cinematicsound.net to hear more shows. Follow us on Facebook at www.facebook.com/cinematicsoundand on Twitter at https://twitter.com/cinsoundradio

Enjoy!

-Erik-

Looks like a great line-up Erik. I can't wait to listen to the show later this evening! :)

That's because they were suites, not actual cues from the album.

And you really weren't kidding Erik, that's got to be one of your best "This Just In" segments! Loved it.

Lincoln and Rise of the Guardians sound great.

What i hear is fantastic! Didn't know i would say that about Desplat ;).

I say that as a very vocal critic of his Potter scores (mainly the subpar DH1). This is a whole other face and a fabulous work judging on those 20 minutes of previewed tracks.

Lincoln also is an astonishing achievement though still a class below the War Horse mastery. It seems to be a beautiful score with lots of warmth and nobility. Then there are the fun period piece tracks i especially enjoyed. They show originality and creativity on Williams part.

Thanks, Erik!! Sounds great!

Could someone tell me which tracks those were? Just curious.

Off the top of the show "The People's House,"

First suite - The American Process, Freedom's Call, Elegy, Remembering Willie.

Second suite - Appomattox, April 9, 1865, The Peterson House and Finale, 'With Malice Toward None.'

Hope that helps?

-Erik-

By the way thanks Erik for the show.

Was Rise of the Guardians really composed by the same man as the last two Potter scores? It sounds so much better, so far above the Desplat Potter efforts! ;)

Was Rise of the Guardians really composed by the same man as the last two Potter scores? It sounds so much better, so far above the Desplat Potter efforts! ;)

I know!

Desplat was given a TON of freedom on Rise where as he was under a ton of pressure from the director and producers on Harry Potter. Desplat was pretty much given full creative control musically on Rise and now we really know what Desplat is capable of doing when there is NOTHING holding him back.

-Erik-

Thanks, Erik!! Sounds great!

Could someone tell me which tracks those were? Just curious.

Off the top of the show "The People's House,"

First suite - The American Process, Freedom's Call, Elegy, Remembering Willie.

Second suite - Appomattox, April 9, 1865, The Peterson House and Finale, 'With Malice Toward None.'

Hope that helps?

-Erik-

Thanks! :D

Desplat was given a TON of freedom on Rise whereas he was under a ton of pressure from the director and producers on Harry Potter. Desplat was pretty much given full creative control musically on Rise and now we really know what Desplat is capable of doing when there is NOTHING holding him back.

Ye-- no.

I'll grant that he did seem a bit constricted with the final HP film (especially with how his music was chopped up), but I'm a staunch supporter of his work on Part 1. I think his work on Rise of the Guardians is just as good as Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows: Part 1.

Desplat was given a TON of freedom on Rise whereas he was under a ton of pressure from the director and producers on Harry Potter. Desplat was pretty much given full creative control musically on Rise and now we really know what Desplat is capable of doing when there is NOTHING holding him back.

Ye-- no.

I'll grant that he did seem a bit constricted with the final HP film (especially with how his music was chopped up), but I'm a staunch supporter of his work on Part 1. I think his work on Rise of the Guardians is just as good as Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows: Part 1.

Umm... yeah. What I said is true. I just so happened to have a nice chat with one of Desplat's orchestrators the other day and he relayed that info to me.

-Erik-

Desplat was pretty much given full creative control musically on Rise and now we really know what Desplat is capable of doing when there is NOTHING holding him back.

Except we already knew this from the ton of other great scores he has written ;)

His Potter ones just suck :P

They really unchained Desplat in the Rise of the Guardians, which sounds absolutely terrific from these selections. Desplat's unique voice tackling the fantasy animation with such unabashed glee is a joy to hear, his orchestrations really shining here (I should say as usual) and he finally adds that extra ounce of oomph into his music, which really raises it in my eyes. Another soundtrack to be added on my shopping list.

Yes he is kept in his Frech home on a very short leash so he can't induce film music related euphoria just on any random passer-by. That would be irresponsible.

Re-confirms my theory that the HP7 producers/director actively went out of their way to stop Williams from returning, lest they end up with a score that would be "politically incorrect" to chop up and change as they saw fit, if it didn't fit into their narrow vision for the film's score.

I think you grossly overestimate the role either filmmusic or John Williams play in the whole POTTER-scheme. There is no Opus-Dei conspiracy at work here, just a few unanswered phone calls between agents.

This leads more and more to the conclusion that David Yates is the big one to blame for all that went wrong with the scores of Half Blood Prince, DH1 and DH2. I can't believe that David Heyman who openly loved John Williams and made sure that Columbus got him and Cuaron had to take him botched up those scores.

At least Desplat and Conrad Pope managed to put in all the Williams material into DH2. This at least restored some of the musical continuity which was more or less missing from HBP and DH1.

I think you grossly overestimate the role either filmmusic or John Williams play in the whole POTTER-scheme. There is no Opus-Dei conspiracy at work here, just a few unanswered phone calls between agents.

Filmmusic always plays a big role in our minds. Why else should we post on a filmmusic forum if we didn't think that?

I tranlate: because filmmusic plays a big role in your mind, there was indeed a conspiracy to hinder Williams from returning to the Potter franchise?

But we've been through that before, i just don't think communication between the two of us is a very bright idea.

I tranlate: because filmmusic plays a big role in your mind, there was indeed a conspiracy to hinder Williams from returning to the Potter franchise?

But we've been through that before, i just don't think communication between the two of us is a very bright idea.

My god, don't be like a resentful girl. Disagreements are nothing unusual on a message board. I frankly don't care if you want to communicate or not, i just tell my opinion. It doesn't matter if someone likes it or not. If you don't have a thick enough skin to bare disagreements you should grow one fast ;).

Wow! I'm near the beginning of the third part right now, and this episode has been amazing! OMG. So many scores I wanna look into now, even ones I didn't think I would have an interest in, but thanks to your show, now I do! Some truly beautiful music, and funny enough, (I know I will be stoned to death for saying this), Williams music for Lincoln in the episode was probably the least interesting to me! And I'm a huge Williams fan more than any other composer. So it's nice to be able to expand my taste into others for once and gain something new. Which I'm sure was the intent of this all along. :D Anyway, thanks!

Was Rise of the Guardians really composed by the same man as the last two Potter scores? It sounds so much better, so far above the Desplat Potter efforts! wink.png

I know!

Desplat was given a TON of freedom on Rise where as he was under a ton of pressure from the director and producers on Harry Potter. Desplat was pretty much given full creative control musically on Rise and now we really know what Desplat is capable of doing when there is NOTHING holding him back.

-Erik-

True.But this could be said about many others as well.

There were not conspiracies at any level, of course. As it was reported, Williams was available to return for the very last episode of the Potter franchise, but apparently he asked to record the score in LA as a condition of sorts. Since the production company was an all-British affair (tax-shelter matters play a role in these things, I guess) they weren't able to arrange a deal, hence things didn't work out.

I know!

-Erik-

So why does it often sound a lot like Cutthroat Island? :sarcasm:

BTW Great show as usual, Erik.

Because Desplat seems to have wanted to employ that style of lush and adventurous orchestral writing for the movie.

There were not conspiracies at any level, of course. As it was reported, Williams was available to return for the very last episode of the Potter franchise, but apparently he asked to record the score in LA as a condition of sorts. Since the production company was an all-British affair (tax-shelter matters play a role in these things, I guess) they weren't able to arrange a deal, hence things didn't work out.

I remember the story Yates came out with was Williams needed to see a cut earlier than would have been possible. Really, I think the bottom line is they hired Desplat for Part 1, liked him, and wanted to stick with him. There was no obligation to bring back Williams, except for the imaginary one concocted by fans.

Because Desplat seems to have wanted to employ that style of lush and adventurous orchestral writing for the movie.

But they're different genres! No, this can't be!!!

Rise of the Guardians doesn't sound like Cutthroat Island at all to me

It's not. Cutthroat Island is far better.

After listening to Guardians again, the novelty's worn off. It's still a very good Desplat score, but I don't find new things to appreciate about the score like I did with Deathly Hallows Part 1.

Maybe it plays far better in the movie than it does on CD.

I actually was very moved by william's score the most. The alexander desplate new score sounds pretty good and with energy but non of the theamitic material moved me. I always change my mind when I watch the film it was made for though but over all, I feel his best is still harry potter.

• 10 years later...