BloodBoal

That's not entirely the point of 48fps, though.

I'm not going to go all the way to Raleigh just to see Hobbit in HFR 3D. I know Peter Jackson used 48 fps to make the 3D imagery more smoother, immersive and easier on the eyes... but unless the HFR showings get rave reviews, the regular 3D show will do just fine.

Besides, if I did, it'd be odd seeing the previews for Star Trek: Into Darkness, Man of Steel and Pacific Rim in 24 fps 3D, then the main feature in 48 fps 3D.

The black and white version of the Mist is wonderful, but it was an option provided by the director.

Black and White movies are colorized so dumb fks who think black and white is old and unwatchable will be pacified.

It looks like many theaters have HFR 3D, and/or IMAX 3D, but not many have both. Here's the listing of IMAX HFR 3D showings (including some international theaters):

http://www.imax.com/community/blog/peter-jacksons-the-hobbit-an-unexpected-journey-will-be-shown-in-high-frame-rate-3d-in-select-imax-theatres/

In March 2011, director James Cameron announced plans to film his next Avatar-type 3D feature in a digital version of Showscan. Cameron has been pushing for movie theaters to adopt higher frame-rates to maintain the 3D effect during scenes involving high-speed motion (like explosions.) At 24 frames per second the 3D effect breaks down, while at 48 or 60 frames per second it is maintained. 60 frames per second is difficult to achieve with conventional film because of the stress on the medium itself; recording 60 frames per second using a digital camera is commonplace. Cameron and Trumbull have been friends for years, and it appears that Trumbull's contribution to a heightened theater experience may finally see its day, thanks to the influence of powerful directors like Cameron and Peter Jackson nearly 30 years after its invention.

The black and white version of the Mist is wonderful, but it was an option provided by the director.

It's actually Darabont's definitive version of the film. He wanted to do it in black and white for the theatrical release but the studio wouldn't let him.

It's actually Darabont's definitive version of the film. He wanted to do it in black and white for the theatrical release but the studio wouldn't let him.

Right, just like the latest BluRay version of Return of the Jedi is Lucas' definitive version of the film. He wanted to do it with Hayden Christensen as a ghost for the theatrical release, but the studio wouldn't let them use a baby in diapers.

I don't know why I feel that way, but this is a film I couldn't care less!

The Lord of the Rings trilogy (and its music) was enough for me, and i I don't feel I want to expand on that universe with a new film and new music in the same vein.

That said, I am not sure whether I will see it even in Bluray!

The scathing review from Comingsoon.net which Joey linked to in the other thread is very clear about how they feel the tech badly damages the overall experience of the viewing, making it damn near impossible to concentrate on the movie's merits in their own right.

Anyone else having a rethink about how they are seeing it?

Nope, I was always planning on seeing it in good ole 2D for my first showing. I'll try the gimmicky presentations after I've already seen the movie once

Anyone else having a rethink about how they are seeing it?

I don't rethink based on the opinions of strangers.

I'll be there at the midnight showing, putting my faith and money in the hands of PJ once more and trust his 48fps and 3D technology!

From what I read, my guess is that the 48 fps are unfriendly to the techniques in this film. Suddenly, we're going to see things like how they really are. Make up becomes obvious, sets become fake sets, CGI landscapes and lighting looks more like what it is, etc... Thus, to make it really awesome in 48 fps, they would have to use more realistic make up or more unnoticeable, more real locations and real light, more carefully constructed sets, more careful cinematography, and double their time on CGI or minimize it if necessary... and they probably worked on it like before. There's going to be a learning curve. Ironically, it seems to me that 48 fps might benefit more for the time being films smaller in scope that don't have to recreate worlds that don't exist.

Hmm, I've been trying to stay away from all the review buzz...but judging from what I've read in this thread, it seems like the Hobbit isn't faring too well with critics.

Be that as it may, I don't want to know anymore about how much people thought this film sucked! I'm still trying to go into the theatre with no preconceived notion of the film's quality. And I intend to watch this in 48 fps as I have faith that it will be the awesome, fun experience (ridden with all sorts of typical anti-Tolkien flaws of course)!

I don't think there would be something wrong with many of the Dwarves being interchangeable. They're fun because there's a bunch of them. They can act like a collective character. That said, they're likely to be less interchangeable than in the book. We can even tell them apart.

Cringy jokes won't really be a problem, since there are quite a few in LotR already and they never exactly destroyed the experience. Nah, I'm only concerned about bloat and pacing. I still believe the film will have the all important pathos and soul which are the most important things of all for me.

But if that bloat is indeed very evident then it's just a shame the film will be one I'm unlikely to revisit indefinitely, like LotR.