JFK vs. Nixon vs. Lincoln

Sandor

Three movies about former US presidents scored by John Williams.

Which is your favorite?

My personal favorite of the three is Lincoln. The score has really started to grow on me and I think "With Malice Toward None" is simply one of the most beautiful themes John Williams has ever written.

However; the single greatest track from these three scores comes from JFK.

That has got to be 'Arlington', one of the most underrated pieces of music Williams wrote.

http://youtu.be/Ay_aLktkecE

• Replies 43
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I agree: Malice Towards None is just wonderful. It's a piece of music that , quite rightly, speaks of kindness rather than nobility or similar. There's something humble being expressed in the piece; it's not grandiose. Can you see here how the written word is once again proving relatively ineffective in describing what a piece of music accomplishes. ? :) ( Samuel Beckett was right: language is just kind of redundant at a certain point. )

Based on the title of this thread, I though we were going to have to start a politics sub-forum. :)

As for the music, I confess I've only heard each of these scores only once while watching the films.

Damn, still havent listened to Lincoln.

JFK is not a presidential score though, not like the other two.

I'm gonna watch Lincoln this week. Still haven't seen (or heard) Nixon.

Can't believe you've never heard this track:

Karol

You know, during the Rivendell White Council scenes in The Hobbit, they were discussing Middle-Eath politics quite a bit...shouldn't that music be included in this poll?

It's williams at the height of his powers. How do you beat that? Plus, the music was written independently from the images. This music is not a slave. It's free. No concessions. How else could he have written 'The Motorcade'?!

I actually haven't had the chance to listen to JFK completely, but I own both Lincoln and Nixon. I have to say that Lincoln takes it for me. Nixon is definitely interesting, but part of the opening cut on the OST resembles Duel of the Fates in harmony, even though I know the latter was created later. It's hard for me to not think of it.

Plus, the music was written independently from the images. This music is not a slave. It's free. No concessions.

The same could be said about Trent Reznor for The Girl With the Dragon Tattoo! People seemed to love that one.

Plus, the music was written independently from the images. This music is not a slave. It's free. No concessions.

The same could be said about Trent Reznor for The Girl With the Dragon Tattoo! People seemed to love that one.

I don't know what the deal is with Trent Reznor and The Girl With The Dragon Tattoo but I think you are missing the point. With JFK, I remember hearing a Williams I didn't know before. It wasn't symphonic action music that followed the events on the screen. I heard something new, especially in the way he wrote the tense music. If he had scored it as usual, the music, or at least a part of it, might have been very different. If I was a director and Williams was writing the score for my movie, I would almost feel inclined to say to him: Just start writing the music, Johnny, let's worry about the film later.

Didn't he write some parts for Close Encounters Of The Third Kind without having seen the film either?

Alex

When John talks about scoring Tintin, he states that he had to write music without seeing anything, and that it was the first time he had ever done so. I'm not sure how loosely "first time" can be taken, but....

When John talks about scoring Tintin, he states that he had to write music without seeing anything, and that it was the first time he had ever done so. I'm not sure how loosely "first time" can be taken, but....

Very loosely. There's a large chunk of War of the Worlds he was scoring blind because the footage wasn't finished.

I don't know what the deal is with Trent Reznor and The Girl With The Dragon Tattoo but I think you are missing the point. With JFK, I remember hearing a Williams I didn't know before. It wasn't symphonic action music that followed the events on the screen. I heard something new, especially in the way he wrote the tense music. If he had scored it as usual, the music, or at least a part of it, might have been very different. If I was a director and Williams was writing the score for my movie, I would almost feel inclined to say to him: Just start writing the music, Johnny, let's worry about the film later.

Didn't he write some parts for Close Encounters Of The Third Kind without having seen the film either?

Alex

I take it you prefer his non-film music for some reason?

I don't get why threads like this one of Lee's Sammath Nar thread aren't polls

You are all messed up ;)

I don't get why threads like this one or Lee's "Journey To The Grey Havens / Saying Goodbye" thread aren't polls

Fixed!

Lincoln as a whole, JFK for the best main theme.

The main theme from JFK (not counting the developed version in "Arlington) is IMO the least good of the three scores. I much prefer the other elements of the score.

I don't get why threads like this one or Lee's Grey Havens thread aren't polls

Exactly!

I don't get why threads like this one or Lee's Grey Havens thread aren't polls

I thought everybody hated polls...

Only polls by Josh

You're still alive?

Damn, still havent listened to Lincoln.

JFK is not a presidential score though, not like the other two.

True, but I do think it is very much linked to the man himself. I think it also would ve been perfctly fitting for "The Kennedy's".

JFK. Although as it has been pointed out it does not have the president in sole focus. Williams does convey a lot of what he felt about him in his music though, the whole feel of the era and of the tradegy of his death reflected in the music besides all the skull duggery, mystery and suspence. Despite this rather stark dichotomy the music works amazingly well on the album and almost hypnotically in the film.

That said both Nixon and Lincoln are two extremely fine scores from polar opposites of the spectrum. The other is a highly psychological and turbulent piece steeped in grandiose Mahlerian darkness and the other approaches its subject matter in a highly positive light, in part almost hagiographically, and through the American musical vernacular of the times filtered through Williams' own voice but Williams still keeps reins on the score and stops everything from becoming too grand or obtrusive (especially in the film).

Have you seen Lincoln yet, Incanus? Is it a good film for a guy not so familiar with the American history?

( Next week I'm playing some Bruckner with HPO and planned also to see some movies, probably can find all the major films in TennisPalatsi?)

For the topic I would answer Lincoln. But I also love the two other presidential scores, three totally different but brilliant scores. That is John Williams.

Have you seen Lincoln yet, Incanus? Is it a good film for a guy not so familiar with the American history?

( Next week I'm playing some Bruckner with HPO and planned also to see some movies, probably can find all the major films in TennisPalatsi?)

For the topic I would answer Lincoln. But I also love the two other presidential scores, three totally different but brilliant scores. That is John Williams.

Yes I have seen the film and I have to say that you don't have to be well versed in American history of the Civil War period to watch this film as they pretty much explain the situation of the film from the start. If you are not interested in American history, then this film with all its political machination and deliberation might feel longwinded but I personally found it worth watching. You should be able to catch it at Tennispalatsi.

As you said Pasi three very different but great scores.

Not seen "Lincoln"? I haven't even bought the c.d., yet, as HMV (the ONLY music shop where I live!) has not stocked it!!!! I do not have a e-account of any kind, so I'll have to wait.

Of the remaining two, "JFK" romps away with the prize, although "The 1960s: The Turbuent Years", and "1968: The Comeback" are both great.

I can't imagine "Lincoln" being better than "JFK", which imo, is the single best thing JW has done in over 20 years.