Howard Shore's The Desolation Of Smaug (Hobbit Part 2)

gkgyver

Am I missing something? It doesn't say that Pope is himself conducting, simply that every day is filled with work on the score. He could just as easily be referring to Shore and the project as a whole.

Either way, as long as he's a decent conductor it shouldn't really matter too much. Shore still wrote the music, just like Williams still wrote Jurassic Park.

Sigh.Lots of scared and clingy fanboy whining here!

People really seem to want this core to suck! they are bracing for it and are looking for clues.

The LOTR threads on this forum have become insufferable.

We should have had them on a separate forum.

It's not whining that the score will suck, it's a healthy dose of caution, given that AUJ basically had two different scores.

Honestly, the edits and tracking doesn't bother me much. it's not bad! Nothing like the SW prequels.

Can we just split these threads off to HSFan and be done with it?

This entire subforum exists because Joe was annoyed by Tolkien threads. This IS HSfan.

Sigh.Lots of scared and clingy fanboy whining here!

People really seem to want this core to suck! they are bracing for it and are looking for clues.

The LOTR threads on this forum have become insufferable.

We should have had them on a separate forum.

As have the Starwars threads filled with pessimists and prequel bashers. I know how you must feel :)

Perhaps the aleatoric stuff doesn't quite suit the NZSO?

I'm not a massive fan of that kind of stuff (that's like the music for the watcher, similar styles are used in the action parts of the troll scene?).

Yup, and its featured in several other places in LotR and The Hobbit (ex. the music for Gandalf the White's first reveal). I love those moments!

I can't see this on his FB page. Any follow up comments?

Second that.

Also, he mentions that the NZSO is a young orchestra - they played the Moria music over ten years ago! I get maybe he means it isn't hundreds of years ago, but it comes across to like they're a newly formed band who are doing this recording and aren't having a chance to shine (meaning the hobbit music won't shine!). Maybe Pope is playing it down so it wows everyone, or maybe I'm reading into this too much because I'm so excited.

Well the NZSO doesn't the kind of workout or have the kind of experience that the LPO does, nor has it worked in the film score setting as consistently as the other bigger orchestras have seen. There's still a lot of sides of music they haven't been exposed to, and that's probably why Pope calls them a "young" group.

It's on his fb page. You just have be one of his friends to see it. It's in response to another comment.

Do you know Pope or does he accept film score fans as friends?

Anyone care to share if he's posted any additional comments since that?

He added me as a friend on facebook a year ago or more...I cant remember...there's a lot of film music composers on facebook... Even Hans Zimmer...

And no, he doesnt comment nothing more about TH.

I think that Shore may have decided that distancing himslef from Peter jackson was better for his health (high levels of frustration). So he wrote the music of the 1st edit Jackson gave him.

I think Pope may be orchestrating, conducting and possibly doing late rescores-adaptations (due to PJ changes). He did that on 'The Wolfman'.

NO wayyyyyyyyyyyyyyyy, that's TOTAL speculation on all counts

Shore clearly wrote music for multiple different cuts of the movie, there are many cues that match the final cut exactly.

Shore clearly wrote music for multiple different cuts of the movie, there are many cues that match the final cut exactly.

Since noone has listened to DOS yet :P (Pope did not work in AUJ, man!)

But yes, it is my personal speculation/guess.

Still, Shore was giving a lecture in North America while Pope is doing whatever he is going with the NZNO in New Zealand.

I think that Shore may have decided that distancing himslef from Peter jackson was better for his health (high levels of frustration). So he wrote the music of the 1st edit Jackson gave him.

I think Pope may be orchestrating, conducting and possibly doing late rescores-adaptations (due to PJ changes). He did that on 'The Wolfman'.

Eh, no.

Still, Shore was giving a lecture in North America while Pope is doing whatever he is going with the NZNO in New Zealand.

And Shore can only compose music in Nez Zealand because ...?

It's not whining that the score will suck, it's a healthy dose of caution, given that AUJ basically had two different scores.

But it's not as worse as the infamous Legend debacle/fiasco/mess...

Don't know why fanboys get so agitated...

tumblr_mazikhAZJI1qgyyx7o1_400.gif

Conrad Pope new facebook entry...

A lovely, personal portrait of the gentle man who is the composer of, and force behind, the epic music to the Lord of the Ring trilogy and the Hobbit films. Thanks to JoAnn Kane Music Service for sharing.

http://www.sloatsburgvillage.com/2013/09/30/howard-shores-music-magic/

And he says in a comment:

Yes I mention the Ring scores simply because that's what everyone knows--- HS has done every kind of film--- from Mrs. Doubtfire to Silence of the Lambs to The Game to all the big epic stuff ( and managed to invent a "new" sound for epic films as well-- no small feat!) All that, and he stlll uses a pencil! Maybe the pencil isn't obsolete yet!

Best-C-

Pope trashed Shore and his Hobbit scores, then everybody went crazy on JWFAN and suddenly, he posts a new comment saying Shore is one of the best composers in the world? What a hypocrite! Unless a big Shore fan (Adams??) threatened to stab him if he didn't write something nice about Shore...

The world of film music revolves around JWFan.

Eh, no.

And Shore can only compose music in Nez Zealand because ...?

he can write music where he wants. I'm just saying what i said, because people are even doubting Shore is NOT conducting. And if shore is not conducting, and a small tinker needs to be done late in the game, maybe Pope rescores the part. "Adapts" I mean, for the new cut of the footage.

Im not saying Pope is going to write new themes or any material. (Plan9 can be tasked with that... :P )

But these film scores (and after king kong) have some odd facts that seem to imply that Jackson and Shore are not as close as they were during LOTR. It looks clear to me that shore is a little disilusioned with these films, just in the same vein Williams seem to have put less effort in doing AOTC and ROTS after the TPM fiasco.

Kinda sad that we're all worried discussing about Howard Shore's fragile health while good ol' JW's running around the country conducting orchestra's and scoring The Book Thief.

Shore was doing all the last minute tinkering during the very stressful production schedule of ROTK and AUJ, all the way in London. The location is irrelevant.

As for this rumour of Jackson and Shore falling out, I think it's been quite exaggerated. I don't think there's any genuine animosity between the two, just that Jackson seems to have more flawed ideas on the music that he's keen on enforcing.

As for Pope writing/adjusting new music material later in the process, I doubt that'll happen. Shore will write all the music.

Kinda sad that we're all worried discussing about Howard Shore's fragile health while good ol' JW's running around the country conducting orchestra's and scoring The Book Thief.

Is shore ill?

Shore was doing all the last minute tinkering during the very stressful production schedule of ROTK and AUJ, all the way in London. The location is irrelevant.

But was he in London doing all that work, didnt he?

It seems now he is not in NZ during the recording sessions (or part of them).

The Pope went on the Shore, and it became a Hill.

Benny Hill?

Btw this is what Doug Adams said on his blog about the CD release and speculation on the information on Amazon:

Important to note that nothing has been formally announced. These are merely placeholders on Amazon. Press releases will clarify in time.

Which is just what I expected really.