Howard Shore's The Desolation Of Smaug (Hobbit Part 2)

gkgyver

Btw this is what Doug Adams said on his blog about the CD release and speculation on the information on Amazon:

Important to note that nothing has been formally announced. These are merely placeholders on Amazon. Press releases will clarify in time.

Which is just what I expected really.

'Clarify'? I hope they're not going to claim it's the complete score again.

I would guess that they're more than just simply place holders when Amazon have prices up for them. Doug would have to say that though. Surely we can't be too far away from some kind of announcement?

I would guess that they're more than just simply place holders when Amazon have prices up for them. Doug would have to say that though. Surely we can't be too far away from some kind of announcement?

And the prices or product information on Amazon do not tend to change? ;)

Btw this is what Doug Adams said on his blog about the CD release and speculation on the information on Amazon:

Important to note that nothing has been formally announced. These are merely placeholders on Amazon. Press releases will clarify in time.

Which is just what I expected really.

'Clarify'? I hope they're not going to claim it's the complete score again.

I think a minuscule amount of the people who bought the album actually noted this or took offence but yes it would be better if they did not make untrue hyperbolic statements like that in the future. And perhaps that was the complete score of the film at some point, "Contains the complete score from the rough cut version of the film shown to the composer in June!" ;)

im sure eveyone noticed the CD did not contain the 'real' eagles music.....

:lol: So true! Every single comment on the A Good Omen videos on Youtube, Amazon reviews of the CD, etc. mention the fact that the film version wasn't included on the CD. There are people giving the product just one star because of that single fact (other also mentioning the fact that the "Dwarves song" doesn't appear many times on the album).

Actually that is true and it is the most noticeable difference and shows that people took notice and were expecting the Nature's Reclamation ending to be on the CD ( a fair assumption and expectation really). People are becoming aware of these things in film music. Good. Also the sense of entitlement is closing on hard core film music fans. Good.

And sadly they didn't sing the Dwarves song at every opporturnity. Plan 9 could have done awesome quick paced action settings where the whole gang would sing while they run from the goblins in the Goblin Town. A barber shop quartet at Rivendell, a rock ballad in the Trollshaws. Possibilities are endless (and wasted sadly).

More Conrad Pope comments!

Scott ask...

Would love to see one of his sketches one day. Are they like JW's sketches? 7-8 lines short score?

Conrad Pope says...

I can't comment on anything I'm working on, Scott- I hope you understand, and what I'm about to write pertains in no way to my current work or the people I'm presently working with or for. It's merely a "rumination" about composers' "sketches" from someone who's work a long time, on many different films as an orchestrator. I'm often asked about JW's sketches, so here goes: JW's sketches AREN't sketches per se--- they are what the Germans refer to as a particell --- a short SCORE. The only composers who come close or equal that, whom I've worked for, are Jerry Goldsmith, Don Davis and William Ross-and, whose sketches I've seen: Bruce Broughton.

In addition to being composers, these gentleman are and were "students" of the craft as well as original, thoughtful orchestrators/arrangers in their own right-- besides being composers! Their kind of "sketch" has dynamics, articulations and is reasonably complete and "orchestrally" conceived--- properly notated durations for the choirs, for the tempi they've chosen, etc.etc., "conductorly savvy", etc. That said, most writers today provide an mp3 and a MIDI sequence---- and call themselves "John Williams" because, after all, isn't THAT the music, isn't it all there ( if you've heard the "sequence"? No, sadly.) A well written short score is a novel, a letter which--- through the individual use of notation - can reveal an artistic soul. That many don't appreciate the coordination of the hand, eye and ear is an ever increasing problem today-- because, frankly, these skills are less relevant in today's music production mill.

As one of my teachers replied to me when I said "Boy, writing music is hard", he said: "Writing music isn't hard, COMPOSING music is hard". I know my rambling this doesn't answer your question directly--- as I can't, but I hope it offer my view into-so called "sketching"--- which everyone does. No matter how you sketch, you always reveal the composer- and musician- you are. JW is "ne plus ultra".

Someone should point out to this Scott fella that, if he wants to see Howard Shore sketches so badly, there is a book out there by a guy called Adams. Doug Adams.

Plan 9 could have done awesome quick paced action settings where the whole gang would sing while they run from the goblins in the Goblin Town.

Is it bad that I thought that was a cool idea?

More Conrad Pope comments!

Scott ask...

Would love to see one of his sketches one day. Are they like JW's sketches? 7-8 lines short score?

Conrad Pope says...

I can't comment on anything I'm working on, Scott- I hope you understand, and what I'm about to write pertains in no way to my current work or the people I'm presently working with or for. It's merely a "rumination" about composers' "sketches" from someone who's work a long time, on many different films as an orchestrator. I'm often asked about JW's sketches, so here goes: JW's sketches AREN't sketches per se--- they are what the Germans refer to as a particell --- a short SCORE. The only composers who come close or equal that, whom I've worked for, are Jerry Goldsmith, Don Davis and William Ross-and, whose sketches I've seen: Bruce Broughton.

In addition to being composers, these gentleman are and were "students" of the craft as well as original, thoughtful orchestrators/arrangers in their own right-- besides being composers! Their kind of "sketch" has dynamics, articulations and is reasonably complete and "orchestrally" conceived--- properly notated durations for the choirs, for the tempi they've chosen, etc.etc., "conductorly savvy", etc. That said, most writers today provide an mp3 and a MIDI sequence---- and call themselves "John Williams" because, after all, isn't THAT the music, isn't it all there ( if you've heard the "sequence"? No, sadly.) A well written short score is a novel, a letter which--- through the individual use of notation - can reveal an artistic soul. That many don't appreciate the coordination of the hand, eye and ear is an ever increasing problem today-- because, frankly, these skills are less relevant in today's music production mill.

As one of my teachers replied to me when I said "Boy, writing music is hard", he said: "Writing music isn't hard, COMPOSING music is hard". I know my rambling this doesn't answer your question directly--- as I can't, but I hope it offer my view into-so called "sketching"--- which everyone does. No matter how you sketch, you always reveal the composer- and musician- you are. JW is "ne plus ultra".

Makes me proud to be a sketchy kind of guy.

Plan 9 could have done awesome quick paced action settings where the whole gang would sing while they run from the goblins in the Goblin Town.

Yes! Shame on you! Naughty Faleel! Naughty!

I would actually like to hear an all male choir rendition of the full Tolkien song with the Plan 9 melody. That would be cool.

I would actually like to hear an all male choir rendition of the full Tolkien song with the Plan 9 melody. That would be cool.

I'd love to hear a full blown out Khuzdul version when the Company joins the Battle Of Five Armies.

OK now we need to send PJ a lot of e-mails and demand that he will give that as direction to Shore for scoring the battle. I am sure Howard will appreciate our gesture of robbing him the chance to use some of his own themes in there. :P

I'd love to hear a full blown out Khuzdul version when the Company joins the Battle Of Five Armies.

Bingo. It has to happen surely, once that wall comes down? Could be one of the great musical moments of all six films.

I just thought it would be kinda Tolkien, seeing as how they sing it quite a bit in the book IIRC.

I just thought it would be kinda Tolkien, seeing as how they sing it quite a bit in the book IIRC.

They sing the song once at the beginning and later at Erebor paraphrase it for a few stanzas. So it is not so extensively used in the end.

Ah, the 1960's BBC version has polluted my memory, I thought that they sang it before they set out from Hobbiton, when entering mirkwood etc.

Ah, the 1960's BBC version has polluted my memory, I thought that they sang it before they set out from Hobbiton, when entering mirkwood etc.

Tolkien never uses the lyrics of the initial song heard at Bag End again but he does use the same rhyme and rhythm and the same theme of the Dwarven song in the novel 3 times. At Bag End, at Beorn's house and finally at Erebor. It of course makes sense not to repeat the original piece but rather extend the poetry with new stanzas.

Hmm...I think those would be a bit too blown up. I don't think the theme meshes well in the "For Frodo" or "Khazad-dum" setting. Unlike the Fellowship theme, this melody doesn't work as well in an action setting. It becomes all too exhausting, all too fast. Even in some of the action variations in Goblintown, it felt like we were hearing the same thing again.

The Plan 9 melody works best in the 'big journey' kind of setting, as heard in cues in "The World is Ahead". In many ways, the melody reflects a kind of solemn folk/diagetic song- like structure. Thus it works really well in conveying majesty or grandeur, but put in a large scale action setting, it'll just sound too forced.

As long as the Song/Piece is worked with by Shore, and the piece doesn't have all sorts of super-modern mixing techniques (Phasers, Bass Enhancement, Autotune etc.) I don't have any objections towards any artist

Bieber???

If the melody, the harmonisation, the orchestration is by Shore, the text by Boyens and Walsh, and Bieber only lends the voice, I'm perfectly content.

I would even accept Leonard Nimoy.