Are there now more LotR/Tolkien fans in residence at JWFan than there are John Williams fans?

Quintus

Are there now more LotR fans in residence at JWFan than there are John Williams fans?  

35 members have voted

1. 1. Are there now more LotR fans in residence at JWFan than there are John Williams fans?

• Yes, it certainly seems that way. I'm sick of it.
    • No, in reality John Williams talk still dominates the board
    • The road goes ever on and on, down from the door where it began

I like Howard Shore's music, but not more than some other things in the medium. He's no god of film music to me.

The films I'm ambivalent towards and the books I've read about 15 years ago. With the exception of The Hobbit that I gave up on after 2 pages.

Karol

I came to this forum out of a love for John. It seems this board can, should, and does also serve as a general forum for those of us who share that one common trait to talk about anything else. Particularly when the ground for discussion on the man himself isn't very fertile.

My self loathing knows no bounds as I am a horrible Tolkien fan and an equally big Williams fan (double necrophilia case as publicist would put it). Have I betrayed my maestro John Williams? Is there a chance for penance for me? What should I do? :folder:

That's the real shit nowadays (it really doesn't sound too bad!)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lRGcKjy2gl0

At first I was like, hey this sounds pretty decent actually; and then around the halfway mark it suddenly turned into, I dunno something from The Crystal Maze, and it all went a bit shit. What a shame.

You know what would be great? A biopic on Tolkien with Williams in the lead role and doing the score!

Where would threads about that movie go? The John Williams section? The General Discussion section? Even LeBlanc wouldn't be able to tell us where it should go!

CRITICAL ERROR! CRITICAL ERROR! DOES NOT COMPUTE! FORUM SELF-DESTRUCTION PROTOCOL ENGAGED!

I like LotR/Hobbit films and the music normally.

I see the film once and enjoy it and find some cues of the score pretty good.

But not to the degree of some people here

That's the real shit nowadays (it really doesn't sound too bad!)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lRGcKjy2gl0

At first I was like, hey this sounds pretty decent actually; and then around the halfway mark it suddenly turned into, I dunno something from The Crystal Maze, and it all went a bit shit. What a shame.

Tyler pretty much took Balfe's excellent work and layered in lots and lots of bland drums. It's great in the game.

Reading through the occasional thread in the Williams section, especially the heavy theoretical stuff, I feel like discovering a box full of oddities in my grandma's attic. Lots of ornamented stuff, some interesting and shiny things, some odd memories ... Nice to look at, but ultimately nothing you would keep because you realise it's the past, and you don't need it for memories to stay.

Can't agree about the theoretical stuff as therein lies one of the key sources of inexhaustible fascination and enjoyment from music, no matter its age... unless of course you don't go in for analysis of music, which I can sympathize if not identify with.

As for the rest, I'm sorry to say I agree. And even when there's an actual current score to discuss, the thread is dominated by disappointment and griping. Oh well. 2015 will be here soon and things will pick up.