John Powell's How To Train Your Dragon 2

Jay

That Jónsi track is pretty cookie cutter Jónsi solo material (with the exception of the main HTTYD theme weaved in there), but it's still good.

There's something about Powell's thematic writing that reminds me of Randy Edelman.

This movie is going to destroy me....

I was expecting to love the whole thing, and I ADORE it, but I'm surprised at how much I ended up loving For the Dancing and the Dreaming. It's a song in an animated movie, but it's not Broadway-style. I dunno, somehow it feels so honest, so sincere... It's beautiful.

This movie is going to destroy me....

I was expecting to love the whole thing, and I ADORE it, but I'm surprised at how much I ended up loving For the Dancing and the Dreaming. It's a song in an animated movie, but it's not Broadway-style. I dunno, somehow it feels so honest, so sincere... It's beautiful.

The For the Dancing and the Dreaming melody reminds me a bit of Patrick Doyle's The Brave, specifically Noble Maiden Fair.

Oh yeah Kung Fu Panda 2 was really fun too. But I thought that came before Mars Needs Mom. Haven't heard anything from him for the past 2 to 3 years. I was wondering what was up with him...

Good to see Powell being back in form. I think the last good I heard from him was Mars Needs Mom.

I'd say it might be among his best.

Karol

Good to see Powell being back in form. I think the last good I heard from him was Mars Needs Mom.

Karol

Sounds like I'd better check it out then! :D

Oh yeah Kung Fu Panda 2 was really fun too. But I thought that came before Mars Needs Mom. Haven't heard anything from him for the past 2 to 3 years. I was wondering what was up with him...

He went on hiatus.

Karol

Sounds like I'd better check it out then! :D

Just a word of caution: it's not great because every single idea is original. It's great because Powell develops and uses them in a more adult and coherent way.

:music:How To Train Your Dragon 2

Karol

This score has some of the most exultantly exuberant pages I have come across in a film score in a long time. And I do not mean the sheer volume of the music, which is quite massive here but the sheer genuine energy, enthusiasm and joy are so palpable it brings a big smile on your face.

I thought you gate pre-order price guarantee on Amazon. That means you'll get it at the lowest price Amazon is offering it between placing your order and the release date.

Karol

That's not what I was worried about. I had placed an order for the first three Led Zeppelin album deluxe versions with free shipping, because it's more than $35. My next order for The Lion King deluxe with HTTYD2 didn't qualify.

It doesn't matter. I cancelled both orders and created a single order, saving a whole five bucks on shipping. Boom.

Anyway, the second full listen indeed confirms Powell has indeed been able to put a more mature spin on the material from first film. His writing sounds more coherent and assured - probably less and less MV-like and more symphonic. That's a really good thing and definitely helps to sell the story presenting older versions of the same characters. At first it might sound like a slightly better orchestrated rehash of that score, mostly because those themes are still pretty much a driving force behind the film - at least two distinctive themes. But there's some new interesting thematic material in there as well. Choral bits are stronger than he usually does it. Better mastering/mixing job helps, too. A winner.

Karol - looking forward to the third one!

Yea, the choral work in this score is what really impressed me. It's so varied, he employs all kinds of different choral ideas!

Anyway, the second full listen indeed confirms Powell has indeed been able to put a more mature spin on the material from first film. His writing sounds more coherent and assured - probably less and less MV-like and more symphonic. That's a really good thing and definitely helps to sell the story presenting older versions of the same characters. At first it might sound like a slightly better orchestrated rehash of that score, mostly because those themes are still pretty much a driving force behind the film - at least two distinctive themes. But there's some new interesting thematic material in there as well. Choral bits are stronger than he usually does it. Better mastering/mixing job helps, too. A winner.

Karol - looking forward to the third one!

Pretty much sums up my thoughts as well. A winner indeed.

Just re-listened to the whole thing last night and was blown-away. The complexity in Powell's writing is exquisite and still very accessible, the moments of counterpoint are so subtle that if you don't pay attention you'll miss them. The second half of Hiccup Confronts Drago is delicious: It starts with those very agressive bag-pipes making you think the rythm will go with them, and when the percussion starts playing over it, the rythm changes and takes you in a completely unexpected direction. And on top of that, the original danger theme! I don't know if it's a case of polyrythmic writing or something similar, but I think I've never heard Powell do something similar. It's an absolute killer of a passage. In fact, most of the new material concerning Drago feels so fresh -at least for Powell- and his theme could become a new classic among bad-guys theme. When it goes with the marching timpani, it feels like it could be the next Imperial March. I especially adore how Powell hints at the theme on a very soft flute in Valka's Dragon Sanctuary. It's great.

I cannot recommend it enough. For all those people complaining about Godzilla and Maleficent not having strong themes, listen to this. It's exactly what you're looking for, but still with a lot of freshness.

I've been humming what I guess is a theme for Toothless since I first heard the score.

But the 'For the Dancing and the Dreaming' theme and Hiccup's Mom's theme are also really memorable. Stoick's Ship is a beautiful cue.

I cannot recommend it enough. For all those people complaining about Godzilla and Maleficent not having strong themes, listen to this.

we'll see

Edit:alright after listening to a few tracks I see this is going to be even more of a chore to get through than Maleficient and Godzilla. Powell sound like orchestral RCP to me

I don't know. I think I may have bought the original album from Amazon back when it came out, and that's the reason Auto-Rip linked to it. I did in fact buy the sequel score, so I anticipate the link being fixed in a week or so.

For a film score, it's really very good.

But that is the problem I have with most scores these days, that they sound like film scores. I miss the times when a movie had music that stands on its own.

Well this is depressing....

Debois added that he's currently working on the storyline for the third installment of the franchise. Composer John Powell will not, however, join for the third-act since he will be taking a sabbatical to relax and speng more time with his teenager.

http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/behind-screen/how-train-your-dragon-2-710238

Hope it's just a mistake on the article's part.

For a film score, it's really very good.

But that is the problem I have with most scores these days, that they sound like film scores. I miss the times when a movie had music that stands on its own.

So you've already seen the film then?

The score isn't always focused and there are a few moments in the middle where Powell will switch between themes several times in rapid succession -- this does instantly remind me that the music is meant to accompany a frenetic and perhaps equally unfocused action sequence. That said, the score on the whole is magnificent. It's not just great film music, it's great music period. And aside from the example I just gave, I disagree that How to Train Your Dragon 2 inherently sounds like a film score. It's much better than that! It sounds like my favorite album of any genre to come out this year!

HTTYD2 flows quite nicely, there's a lot of action but there's a lot of soft, quiet moments too. It's probably one of his most consistent works to this day.

Powell fanboy!

Actually, HTTYD is the only Powell CD I own. Though I have HTTYD2 pre-ordered.

Well this is depressing....

Debois added that he's currently working on the storyline for the third installment of the franchise. Composer John Powell will not, however, join for the third-act since he will be taking a sabbatical to relax and speng more time with his teenager.

http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/behind-screen/how-train-your-dragon-2-710238

Hope it's just a mistake on the article's part.

http://collider.com/how-to-train-your-dragon-2-john-powell-interview/

Apparently this interview indicates the opposite.