The Christopher Young Appreciation Thread

• 3 weeks later...

Just listened to this. Great stuff! This is the type of scoring I love the most from Young, and I hope they do release the full thing sometime. It would also be great if there was a way to watch the movie with Young's score in it but I don't know if there's any plans on that.

Leave it to Christopher Young, the master of "delicious darkness", to conjure up this vast and operatic landscape for a horror film. Very impressive! Did it engage me much? Perhaps not. Especially that descending, two-half-note motif becomes a bit grating to my sensitive ears, but that may speak more to my general predisposition these days than the quality of the music. I had also hoped for a few calmer moments in the suite, but they are presumably elsewhere in the score. Either way, hoping for a recording and release down the line, like everyone else, so that I can get a better understanding of the whole thing.

17 hours ago, thestat said:

This is so good - just brilliant, brilliant work from a master of gothic composition. The theme has been stuck in my head for days.

Wow yes, I had only just got round to listening to it... definitely need to have a release of the whole thing. Surely one must be on the way?!

• 2 months later...

Jon Broxton wrote a review of a yet to be officially released score from Young.

From the description by Broxton this sounds like the Young horror score I've been waiting for for years!

It hopefully will be released later this year by one of the specialty labels.

https://moviemusicuk.us/2024/01/16/the-piper-christopher-young/

2 minutes ago, JNHFan2000 said:

Jon Broxton wrote a review of a yet to be officially released score from Young.

From the description by Broxton this sounds like the Young horror score I've been waiting for for years!

It hopefully will be released later this year by one of the specialty labels.

https://moviemusicuk.us/2024/01/16/the-piper-christopher-young/

I can confirm that it's brilliant

-Erik-

Broxton couldn't be bothered to review All the Light and The Ballad of Songbirds & Snakes, but he sure did write a long and detailed review for a score that no one except his pals among film music critics will be able to hear.

edit: I see now that he completely ignored Migration as well. 

Anyway, I hope this does get releaed. I remember back in 2014 I was very excited to hear The Monkey King, only managed to do it a loooooooooong time after film music critics did.

Young's scores, both for Nosferatu and Piper need to be released right now. What is his management doing? Their big client has released/performed 2 massive orchestral scores, and they are not getting them released, JFC?

I like the first three tracks - concerto adaptations of the score. The suite from the score itself doesn't do that much for me. Hopefully, it will be released in due time. You can always rely on Young for providing a melodic approach to horror films (or "delicious darkness", as I like to call it).

I'm more anxious to hear his NOSFERATU work.

4 hours ago, Edmilson said:

Broxton couldn't be bothered to review All the Light and The Ballad of Songbirds & Snakes, but he sure did write a long and detailed review for a score that no one except his pals among film music critics will be able to hear.

:sarcasm:

4 hours ago, Edmilson said:

Anyway, I hope this does get releaed. I remember back in 2014 I was very excited to hear The Monkey King, only managed to do it a loooooooooong time after film music critics did.

Gee, I wonder who helped get The Monkey King released.  That's right... film music critics who gave the score much-needed promotion on their web sites/podcasts. Only after seeing/hearing those positive reviews and interest  in the score was it deemed important enough to release to the public... BOTH original score AND the sequel.

-Erik-

Dudes - you are just film music fans like the rest of us and you write blog posts on film scores you like. Get a bit of a perspective. Perhaps use your bloggos to get some fan base momentum if you really are in the business of getting composers' work released instead of dropping silly-arse hints about the supposedly priviledged content that some social media managers have decided to dropped your way.

• 4 weeks later...

11 hours ago, Tom Guernsey said:

Cool, even if it's a bit of a shame it can't be financed any other way, but hopefully it'll raise enough money to see a release!

Actually I just watched this video by Brandon Sanderson, one of the most successful fantasy authors these days. He finished The Wheel of Time series at the request of Robert Jordan's widow. He did a kickstarter for some extra books he wrote during the pandemic that raised $41 million, breaking almost every Kickstarter record ever including a first 24-hour record of $15 Mill. I remember watching the donated amount number going up like the spinning of a Vegas slot machine!

This may not be the case for film scores, but Brandon says it's actually far simpler to use a Kickstarter for his publishing needs. He still has his contracts with traditional publishers for his larger fantasy series. He is kind of his own industry, and having the fan base to raise $41 million in a few weeks probably doesn't hurt!

With the recent Goldsmith Kickstarters, this could be the start of a new trend that makes it perhaps easier and more likely for our niche market to get some more goodies. 

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Can anyone recommend any good drama scores besides Murder in the First, The Shipping News, Creation and Something the Lord made?

21 minutes ago, filmmusic said:

Can anyone recommend any good drama scores besides Murder in the First, The Shipping News, Creation and Something the Lord made?

SWEET NOVEMBER and AN UNFINISHED LIFE. 

Also, on Cinema Septet, AMERICAN HARVEST, LAST FLIGHT OUT and SPARKLE ROAD.

17 minutes ago, Jurassic Shark said:

I don't understand. This is not by Christopher Young. Or you thought you were in another thread?

It's just JS being cheeky. I know he likes that score, but I have no idea what he means. It doesn't really sound Young-ian.

6 minutes ago, Thor said:

AN UNFINISHED LIFE

I see this is a rejected score. How it compares to the actual used score by Lurie? Do you know? Better or worse?

Just now, filmmusic said:

I see this is a rejected score. How it compares tot he actual used score by Lurie? Do you know? Better or worse?

Much better. Lurie's isn't too bad, but can't compare. Also, I'm kinda boycotting Lurie these days, due to issues that are forbidden to talk about here.

10 minutes ago, filmmusic said:

I don't understand. This is not by Christopher Young. Or you thought you were in another thread?

Exactly, I didn't pay attention to the thread title. 

Oh, that was my 12000th post.

34 minutes ago, filmmusic said:

I really love Judicial Consent (which is *mostly* drama, musically... there's one cue that's more suspense). Nobody ever seems to mention it but me, but it's really lovely. Maybe Intrada will revisit and expand their original album some day?

Yavar

Actually, I'm not real familair with his horror scores. I think I listened to parts of a few and thought "too scary!" I'll explore more one day when I have more courage.

But I have some favorites. Number one being The Tower, released by Intrada about 100 years ago with a bonus initial release of The Core as a gift from Chris, namely the last track Coeur Hanté - Haunted Heart. It's a total gem. I love The Core too. And some of the dramatic scores listed above. 

The Big Kahuna is another faviorite. And The Man Who Knew Too Little - I only have the main theme from one of Varese's anniversary sets.

More dramatic goodness: An Unfinished Life Piano Sketches and To Spain With Love, a concept album, and sorry, but I edited out all the non-musical elements - musicians commenting or laughing if memory serves. I don't need that^

10 hours ago, filmmusic said:

Definitely check out The Hurricane, The Black Tulip, Max & Helen, Haunted Summer and Flowers In The Attic!  Hush, The Gift and Killing Season are all wonderful thriller scores with some beautiful cues and sections in them too if you are considering broadening your scope.

10 hours ago, Jack Warner said:

Definitely check out The Hurricane, The Black Tulip, Max & Helen, Haunted Summer and Flowers In The Attic!  Hush, The Gift and Killing Season are all wonderful thriller scores with some beautiful cues and sections in them too if you are considering broadening your scope.

FLOWERS IN THE ATTIC is horror, as are some of the other titles on your list, but yes, I agree, very nice score that has very little horror about it. Sounds like a drama score.

1 hour ago, Thor said:

FLOWERS IN THE ATTIC is horror...

Interesting. I just read the book and it wasn't really a horror book but rather weird family drama. Did they make a horror movie out of it? I guess, it's possible.