Do you rewind your favorite section over and over again, like a deranged maniac?

BLUMENKOHL

My co-worker is a lightweight film score fan, which is nice. I rode in his car to lunch today, and we listened to the HTTYD2 CD. The Bewilderbeast track came up, fun energetic track, and near the end all of a sudden he starts pressing rewind and rewind and rewind and rewind and rewind over and over again. I heard the fanfare statement from 5:24-5:30 in that track about 6 times. Budda-budda-bum...budda-budda-bum...etc. *scratch rewind sound* and rinse and repeat.

SIX TIMES! I finally asked him if he could just let it play. And he replied "Sorry man, I really get lost in some of these moments sometimes." He basically listens to music with his finger on the rewind key, occasionally listening to the same 10 or 15 second section for 30 minutes...sometimes more.

As someone who prefers to listen to an album from beginning to end, without pausing and stopping and rewinding, I thought he was nuts. We got back to the office still talking about it, and it turns out this is more common than I thought, especially with the younger digital aged people.

I wonder if it's why looping lines in music and arpeggios are so popular.

It just blows my mind. The beauty of that short burst of fanfare in the Battle of the Bewilderbeast track is its briskness, and contrast with what's around it. Playing it on loop for 30 minutes robs it of any specialness.

But who am I to judge how you listen to music?

So how do you listen to music? Like a normal person or a deranged maniac?

I get nutty sometimes. It's usually a really specific detail that catches my ear - the way a bass or inner voice moves through different harmonies, the curvature/shape of a melody - and it's just immensely satisfying to me in some impossible-to-describe musical/logical/spiritual? way and I replay it endlessly.

Most recently: the bass line from 4:56 to 5:01 in this...

...and in this, 0:37 to 0:45, and the celli from 2:50 to 3:00.

https://soundcloud.com/ericwhitacre/a-boy-and-a-girl-string

Of course as you say it's better in context, but I like to appreciate just those single moments too.

Yep, I used to be and still can be a CHRONIC rewinder, during both score listens and all-time favourite movie watches. Six times is average ;)

I remember rewinding parts of Weathertop about 10 times, back in the day.

He, he...no, I never do nor have I ever done this.

I listen to albums from start to finish (unless there are external factors interupting me). It's the whole journey that's the thing for me, letting the highlight tracks come naturally within. I'm more a 'concept album' lover than a 'cue lover'. That's true even for compilation albums.

Yes, I'm another chronic re-winder (or fast-forwarder in some cases). Comes from having a short attention span, I suppose. I rarely even listen to entire albums. I end being distracted by something else, and the music becomes a wallpaper, which I never like. I prefer short bursts of intense concentration.

Put me with the deranged maniacs. Not anything close to 30 minutes unless I'm really in a zone, but things are always catching my ear and I'll definitely run through them at least a few times. I'd get way too antsy letting all that good stuff simply fly by everytime. For me, that's the whole point of having entertainment at my fingertips. Nothing beats live performances or a theater experience, but the one thing they don't provide that portable media does is the opportunity to really savor the details.

Sometimes it's performance stuff that really satisfies, even unintentional things like the way a person's voice sounds in their upper register. Other times it's a matter of picking apart the composition. Not in an academic sense, necessarily, but like Pilgrim said, just zeroing in and enjoying those intricacies for their own sake. Especially with Williams, there's always so much going on in every measure not to stop and take notice.

And like Quint, I'll do this with movies too. I'm definitely the guy who will play a joke until it stops being funny (and then a couple more times after that.) Or a particularly ingenious bit of staging might catch my eye and I'll rewind that bit over and over until I've noticed when the camera started moving, how it was motivated by a particular action, how it guided my eye to different parts of the frame etc. I find that stuff fascinating. Even if I'm going through it the first time, sometimes I can't help but notice something and focus on it for a bit. Going through an entire film or album more than once is reserved exclusively for my very favorites and even then I have to be in the mood. It's a special thing for me, maybe a handful of times a year I'll reach back to an old favorite and play the whole thing.

I hasten to add this is all only when I'm enjoying stuff on my own. I can't imagine making someone else listen to the same few bars of music in the car, or watch the same shot over and over again during movie night...

I was recently given a blu ray/dvd/cd rewinder. It's been used a lot lately.

It's How to Train Your Dragon 2.

Speaking of which, I find myself rewinding the passage starting at 1:53 all the time:

And this version of Godzilla theme at 3:40.

The marching Godzilla at 1:59 (removed from the film, if I remember correctly):

The the section starting at 3:10 (although it often includes the chorus before that as well):

The start of this track (up until 2:27):

Karol

Yes, I'm another chronic re-winder (or fast-forwarder in some cases). Comes from having a short attention span, I suppose. I rarely even listen to entire albums. I end being distracted by something else, and the music becomes a wallpaper, which I never like. I prefer short bursts of intense concentration.

This.

As I mentioned in another thread, I'm a 'compositional highlights' person, and if I come across a moment of pure awesomeness, I'll be playing it over and over for minutes. The album experience goes out the window at that point.

I might have done this years ago when I had a CD player that could reverse more effortlessly. But these days I just let it play from start to finish. If I listen to something too much, I develop an aversion to it.

Count me as one of the maniacs. Some passages/moments are just so brilliant that I want to relive it as much as possible. I'll post examples once I get home.

I can understand repeating cues over and over, but specific time stamps? Ya'll crazy.

Well I tend to repeat the cue as a whole more often, but sometimes I'll just forward/rewing to the time stamp I want specifically.

I just stand up, tell musicians to stop the nonsense and start playing the good parts.

Speaking of which, my 40-minute non-chronological edit of Beethoven's ninth is much better than the whole thing - no boring underscore. I decided to compile an 4-minute suite of Ode to Joy that opens the programme, so that listeners don't get bored by the time we get to it. Ludwig had no idea what he was doing when composing this one, must have been deaf or something.

Karol

Guilty of rewinding both "Prologue" and "Flight to Neverland" from Hook.

Also, "Hoedown" from Copland's Rodeo Ballet.

CD player?

Rewind 5 seconds in Winamp. Effortless.

Winamp???

I was just thinking that, too.

I prefer VLC myself.

This kind of behavior runs the risk of permanently ruining those great moments. I always try to leave at least a day between listens to the same track, to avoid overplaying it.