What Is The Last Film You Watched? (Newer Films)

King Mark

• Replies 12.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

On 10/4/2016 at 3:14 PM, Disco Stu said:

Today I went to see Sully: Two thumbs up!  Really enjoyed almost everything about this.

:thumbup:

I want to see Jack Reacher but I only go to films with good scores that garner a ton of discussion here these days, really. Plus I have to see Fantastic Beasts and Rogue One. 

Doctor Strange. I wouldn't believe some of the reviews it's unlike other Marvel films because it feels very much like one of those. The only difference is slight genre shift. But that doesn't really matter (just like it didn't in Thor 2). The film is very formulaic and predictable in terms of structure (of course) but it does have heart and actors make the material work. Even the criminally underwritten Mads Mikkelsen shines and that is no small feat.

And it might be the second role in Cumberbatch's repertoire where I actually enjoy his performance (after Sherlock). There's a lightness to it that you rarely see.

Giacchino's score is better in context but not by much. There are times when it's mixed very well, although in many of the magical special effects sequences sound effects drown it.

It's enjoyable, for one viewing. Not sure there is much more to say.

Karol

Is any of the baroque-styled stuff used during the main film or is it just in the end credits?

Is there a mid-credits or post-credits scene setting up whatever the next MCU movie is?

The baroque stuff appears at the very end.

The end credit material from the album is actually the final part of end credits. The animated bit is scored with big orchestral statement of Doctor Strange in typical Marvel fashion. Not sure if it is on album, listened to it only once and can't remember much of it.

And yes, there are two scenes, first of which teases a next major film (it seems to at least).

Karol

No, wait. Just listened to it. I was wrong. Strange Days Ahead scores the final moments in the film and the first half of end credits. Don't think the baroque cue is in the film.

Karol

That cue should have been moved up to somewhere earlier in the album, to avoid having 3 tracks in a row running through the main theme

4 minutes ago, Jay said:

... and?  What happens in the scene?

Spoiler

Strange is visited by Thor and offers to help him.

The second one involves one character from the film and what happens to him (kind of like Winter Soldier). Don't want to say without spoiling anything.

Karol

2 minutes ago, Jay said:

That cue should have been moved up to somewhere earlier in the album, to avoid having 3 tracks in a row running through the main theme

Could have been a cool overture (like in Tintin).

Karol

Doctor Strange - kind of an even trippier Inception, Stephen Strange is a fun addition to the MCU. Not the pinnacle of these flicks (which for me are Avengers Assemble and The Winter Soldier), but pretty good.

I liked what sounded like sitar work (I could be wrong, though) in Giachinno's score. 

I was originally going to post this in an old Oliver Stone/John Williams thread, but it's probably best to let sleeping dogs lie.  I just saw Snowden and really enjoyed it (actually, the first Oliver Stone movie I've enjoyed since Any Given Sunday), but I couldn't help but think "this film really needed a better score," which of course brings John Williams to mind, although I'm not sure he would've been the right choice.  The Craig Armstrong score (largely replaced) is entirely forgettable, and the Adam Peters pieces that filled in work atmospherically (the tone makes sense given the subject), but don't really add much.  As good as the film itself is, musically it's pretty much one wasted opportunity after another.

Room

Wow - two hours that absolutely flew by. The first half hour or so dragged a tad, but the 5 minutes where

Jack sees the outside for the first time, finds the cops, and rescues his Mom

was one of the most remarkable cinematic moments I've seen since Inside Out. Brie Larson gives an astounding performance, and I was reminded that she won the academy award for it - richly deserved.

I'm sending this back quickly to get 10 Cloverfield Lane sent to me, which I really want to see after hearing McCreary's fantastic score.

On 10/10/2016 at 2:09 PM, Richard said:

I disliked STEEL MAGNOLIAS, CALLENDER GIRLS, and HOW TO MAKE AN AMERICAN QUILT, but not because they had mostly female casts. If Romāo said he hated GHOSTBUSTERS (1984) would he be biased against men?

Nope. There's a double standard that male fanbases like to stick with.

I've never liked the original Ghostbusters, it has a handful of funny lines but it has never clicked with me. This review sums up my feelings about the movie perfectly.

On 10/30/2016 at 7:16 PM, Mr. Breathmask said:

Doctor Strange

Spectacular but unengaging. It was a sight to behold, but it never made me feel anything. Too bad.

I saw it tonight, and I agree with you completely. The origin story felt routine and cobbled from better movies like Batman Begins and The Matrix. (Even the climax borrows one of the crucial plot devices from Edge of Tomorrow.) The cast was fantastic, especially Benedict Cumberbatch, but too much humor and too much plot made the film suffer.

Not interested.

I watched The Walk. I suppose this is fairly new. I think this one just sort of came and went without making much of an impact? It was nice to see a Zemeckis film that wasn't an atrocious digital cartoon. I liked it. Score was decent. Cast was good. It just seemed everyone was really into it when they made it. The visuals were pretty neat. The old towers were back, if only on my Sony Trinitron. But that's the closest thing there is, right?

I've been having carnal relations since 2001, so I would not be able to ask that question phrased exactly as that without giggling at the mental sight of the Borg Queen from 1996 asking it. And giggle, like ladyfarts, can kill the mood. 

22 hours ago, petaQ said:

I've been having carnal relations since 2001 

You must be fucking exhausted!

Over the w/e, I caught an advance showing of FANTASTIC BEASTS...

225 million dollars for this piece of gobshite? Warner Bros. should ask for their money back.

1 hour ago, Richard said:

Over the w/e, I caught an advance showing of FANTASTIC BEASTS...

225 million dollars for this piece of gobshite? Warner Bros. should ask for their money back.

Wow, you really saw the movie?

Can you tell us more about it?

Also: What do you recall about the score?

Sorry, Jay, but I'm not very articulate when it comes to describing stuff, however...FB+WTFT just seemed to be another "family" fantasy with seen-it-all visuals, and heard-it-all ideas. To say that it's made to capitalise on the HP fan-base, is ignorant, and insulting, and if you thought that JKR couldn't write a novel, then you ate gonna love hating the script! 

Lazy, and inarticulate, this film insults its target audience, and them some.

The score, on the other hand, I like. It reminds me of PETER PAN meets MALIFICENT, by way of THE WATER HORSE. It's nice.

19 minutes ago, Alexcremers said:

Talking about avatars, who knew Richard was a Hard Rocker too? John Williams seems to attract them ... 

Richard has talked about Rush very frequently on this board!

17 minutes ago, Stefancos said:

What ever happened to your countryman? You know, the Sjonnie?

Another Hard Rocker! I don't know what happened to him. Some posters suddenly stop posting after a few months and go away. Maybe he realized Zimmer was more up his alley.