The MCU - Marvel Cinematic Universe

Jay

Let's first wait and see how good the second movie will be and take it from there, Vin Diesel and Marvel. Imagine Villeneuve already going on about Blade Runner 3. Wouldn't that be a little presumptuous? One step at a time, folks!

I still think the MCU is quite a cinematic accomplishment despite its drawbacks, like the homogenized visual look.  This movie could be fun.  I'm resigned to the fact that we'll never get a superhero movie as good as Spider-Man 2, the apotheosis of the form.

Marvel or Sony brings in popular Tony Stark because Spider-Man alone might not be enough to sell tickets (the last ones probably didn't do so well).

Don't understand the enthusiasm here.

The last two Spider-man films made $700 million dollars each.  This one will make a billion, and looks better written and casted anyway

In terms of the genre, 700 million is a disappointment. Thor 2 money!

1 minute ago, Jay said:

The last two Spider-man films made $700 million dollars each.  This one will make a billion, and looks better written and casted anyway

What?

I think the cast of this film is better than the cast of The Amazing Spider-man 2.  Do you disagree?

I don't think it looks good at all aside from Michael Keaton killing everybody he loves. I get why they keep rebooting Spider-Man (I guess), but no one has really embraced them since Spider-Man 2.

Maybe Spider-Man is not a 21st century superhero. Maybe kids today think of him as someone their parents liked. Superman might also be considered 'previous century'.

The first Spider-man - I love it.  The melodrama struck a big chord with me as a frequently lovelorn 16 year old at the time.  Elfman's score was great.  Kirsten Dunst was a great girl-next-door Mary Jane (IMO).  Maguire was serviceable.  After that, pretty much each Spider-man movie has had diminishing returns from the last.  Spidey 3 was bad but fun in a lot of ways.  Amazing Spider-man was well made and acted, but not really all that fun.  Amazing Spider-Man 2 was a mess that I count among my least favorite movies of the past few years. I did really like the new take in Cap 3, so hopefully that will translate well tonally into a full length.    I'm not watching the new trailer (or the new GOTG trailer) yet because I'm expecting to see both of them in theaters next week w/ Rogue One.

22 minutes ago, Stefancos said:

Kirsten Dunst is awful in these films, and her character is no Mary Jane!

Total wet blanket!

Agree to disagree!

I don't read the comics, so I don't have a comparison - but she was great for the character as written on-screen.  (In my opinion)

I was more of a DC/Batman person growing up, and now in comics I pretty much only read Star Wars.

Well, she didn't know Peter was Spider-man until the end of part 2, right?  So that falls well within my "getting worse as time goes on" opinion.  I think her take on the kooky/awkward girl next door worked well.  I found her charming in Part 1.  (That's also the only one I've seen more than once, so I have more opinions about it, I guess).

In the first Spider-man, the character was just a Peter Parker love interest.  She wasn't whining about her superhero boyfriend, because by the end of the movie Peter's love was barely requited, and she didn't know who he was.  So your complaint about the character doesn't apply to the one Spider-man movie I really like.

I like Spider-Man 3 not as a serious continuation of Peter's journey but as a fun, quirky bookend. The number of unintentionally hilarious moments in that movie is outstanding.

The digital cinematography in Homecoming is really ugly -- like that Tony Stark scene in the limo. I like the homages to Batman and Spider-Man 2, and it seems like quirky fun.

One thing is for certain: Marvel needs to get stop mandating digital for their films. It's not necessarily cheaper than film. Let the director decide whether s/he wants to use film, digital, or both.

I got really annoyed with Spider-Man's 'funny' comments when he's fighting in The Amazing Spider-Man 2 (which I quickly turned off) and during Civil War. You guys love that, right? 

It's a trademark for the character though.

Civil War might have been the film that shattered the Marvel dream. What started out as an interesting experiment in connecting a franchise too soon became an instrument of mediocrity. Every trace of individual creativity erased. Every part of the once rich Marvel universe speaking in the same tones. Aproved by the shareholders, after extensive market and target group research and analyses!

This started after Disney took over Marvel, and now they own Star Wars and Indiana Jones too. All these once indiviual franchises reshaped to fall into line with the other products. Strength in uniformity! Creating a recognizable brand! Creativity is dead in Hollywood, Alex!

Double no! Winter Soldier was good. Civil War's problem as a movie is that they wanted to put too much into it.  Oh, let's do a bit of this. Oh, let's do a bit of that. Oh, and what about Spider-Man? Oh, he must be in there too! 

Yes, it felt something was changed too. I thought it was due to an overfull script that was going all directions. For instance, the action scenes, when judged on their own, are still impressive . Too bad that the movie itself isn't up to par. Heck, I bought the Blu-ray of Winter Soldier but I don't feel like watching Civil War again. If that isn't proof, then I don't know what it!

Alex 

8 minutes ago, Stefancos said:

Perhaps it is the script. But the Avengers films will be over more overstuffed

More hotchpotches, I'm sure. When you make a movie where so many superheroes and supervillains want their moment of glory then you're not putting the movie first. You're only trying to satisfy the fans of those characters.