The MCU - Marvel Cinematic Universe

Jay

Watched The Marvels the day before yesterday and, wow!, they managed to reach another lowpoint. What a piece of crap of a movie.

The aim here was obvioulsy to make a "fun movie".

But even "fun movies" must be taken serious by the makers to work as a story and a movie.

They obviously feel more and more inspired by Scorseses theme park criticism. Oh theme park movies? Great idea!

This wasn't a movie. This was a theme park ride. And not a good one.

3 hours ago, GerateWohl said:

Watched The Marvels the day before yesterday and, wow!, they managed to reach another lowpoint. What a piece of crap of a movie.

But even "fun movies" must be taken serious by the makers to work as a story and a movie.

They obviously feel more and more inspired by Scorseses theme park criticism. Oh theme park movies? Great idea!

Didn't you watch the trailer?! That was a big warning sign!

5 minutes ago, A24 said:

Didn't you watch the trailer?! That was a big warning sign!

I don't judge movies by trailers.

Unless the trailer shows more or less the complete movie (which I experienced some times recently) which gives me sometimes the feeling like "Good summary. So, I don't have to watch the whole thing because I don't expect any added value."

10 minutes ago, A24 said:

Big mistake! Let The Marvels be a lesson for you! ;)

Fight Club had trailers that made me actively avoid. And I loved that movie. 

8 hours ago, GerateWohl said:

It is certainly that. While probably not quite as horrible as people say, it feels very much like an extended cheap TV tie-in special.

Karol

1 hour ago, crocodile said:

It is certainly that. While probably not quite as horrible as people say, it feels very much like an extended cheap TV tie-in special.

Karol

Yes. Like a Holiday Special.

The thing about these superhero movies of late is that they got lazy. Movies like Quantumania, Shazam 2, The Marvels, Madame Web, they were all lazily produced. Despite their massive budgets, their filmmakers didn't appear to be as worried with the quality.

It's telling that Disney/Marvel execs thought they had a massive hit that audiences all over the world would love with Quantumania, only for the movie to receive godawful reviews and crash after its first weekend.

I dunno, maybe superhero flicks were always that lazy but the hype around them was so huge that we were willing to ignore. Or maybe for each poorly produced blockbuster there used to be more critically-acclaimed ones but these days there aren't that many "great" movies to balance the crap. Or maybe it's both.

Fact is: audiences are tired of lazily produced superhero blockbusters. If the genre is to survive, they'll have to produce more than Disney Channel-quality flicks like The Marvels or poorly done stuff like Madame Web.

Ok. We loved The Marvels. Better than Guardians 3. Way better than Ant-Man Quantum Mania. It felt like a nice comfortable upper-mid level Phase 3 movie. Which my goodness how I've missed those!

I think the thing that surprised me the most was that with the central gimmick being characters suddenly switching places that they managed to keep the geography of the scenes intact. I had a better idea of who was where than in some James Bond movies. (YES I'm still ticked off about Quantum of Solace.)

Some of it felt like a Guardians movie without the bodily fluids. Sorry, but the song planet was one of my favorite things.

Somehow when they were trying to save all of the Skrulls and couldn't it actually felt like a LOT of people were dying.

I still need to finish Ms. Marvel, but Iman Vellani is charming as all get out.

The two end credits spots are the most I've been excited for a post-credit scene since I can't tell you when.

Glad I saw it. Sad that I didn't see it in the theater. Good grief, I spent more money on Ant-Man! I spent more money on Shazam! That's SO unfair.

EDIT: Oh! The score! The score was OK. It's funny, Pinar Toprak's score was also OK, but it made more of an impression on me. And her theme was missed. If it was in the film someplace I didn't notice it.

I can't Thumbs Up your comments about Ms. Marvel. However, since I always enjoy your posts, I've decided to highlight the parts of your review I agree with.

15 hours ago, Tallguy said:

I'm still ticked off about Quantum of Solace.

Iman Vellani is charming as all get out.

I didn't see it in the theater. 

16 hours ago, Tallguy said:

EDIT: Oh! The score! The score was OK. It's funny, Pinar Toprak's score was also OK, but it made more of an impression on me. And her theme was missed. If it was in the film someplace I didn't notice it.

This is why we can't  have nice things.

😉

I haven't watched any Marvel show (and the last MCU movie I watched was the first Ant-Man), but I found the score for Moon Knight so cool and interesting,  I might actually watch the show one of these days

At least Moon Knight didn't have a completely failed ending like almost all recent Marvel movies and TV shows.

Most recent Marvel content is better when you skip the last episode of the tv show or the third act of the movie (Loki and Ms. Marvel had ok endings, I think).

Uh oh.

Marvel Shocker: ‘X-Men ’97’ Creator Beau DeMayo Fired Weeks Before Premiere (Exclusive)
In an unusual situation on the eve of a project's debut, the writer-producer, who worked on 'Moon Knight' and 'Blade', will no longer be promoting the show or moving forward with future seasons.

56 minutes ago, Edmilson said:

Potential spoilers for Deadpool & Wolverine, procceed at your own risk!

Hide contents

Spoiler

Why do they keep casting tall people to play Logan?

On 12/03/2024 at 4:56 PM, Edmilson said:

Uh oh.

Marvel Shocker: ‘X-Men ’97’ Creator Beau DeMayo Fired Weeks Before Premiere (Exclusive)
In an unusual situation on the eve of a project's debut, the writer-producer, who worked on 'Moon Knight' and 'Blade', will no longer be promoting the show or moving forward with future seasons.

Apparently the guy had an OnlyFans account... lol

X-MEN '97 Showrunner Beau DeMayo May Have Been Fired By Disney Due To "Unsettling, Creepy" OnlyFans Activity

The lesson is: if you wanna work for Disney, don't show your wang on the internet!

5 minutes ago, Edmilson said:

The lesson is: if you wanna work for Disney, don't show your wang on the internet!

Article says it was Non-nude....

2 minutes ago, Faleel said:

Article says it was Non-nude....

Even without the wang it looks like it was too much for Disney.

But that's not just what caused his firing. Apparently (and again these are just rumors) the guy was "an absolute nightmare to deal with on a daily basis".

Haven't seen this posted (tho I may have missed it):

Marvel Studios’ Infinity Saga Concert Experience
"23 Films. 11 years. 1 Universe."
Hollywood Bowl

Aug 30 and 31, 2024

https://www.hollywoodbowl.com/events/performances/2971/2024-08-30/marvel-studios-infinity-saga-concert-experience

I dig most of the MCU scores and, while always thought it would be great to have an MCU concert at the Bowl, I pretty much gave up hope. 
So I was really excited to see the announcement.

7 minutes ago, atmicwedgy said:

"23 Films. 11 years. 1 Universe."

Good to know that they only used music from the good years of the MCU and not the awful ones :lol:

Anthony Mackie says Marvel is "such a space of controlled entertainment. Like, there’s only so much you can do. There’s only so much creativity you can bring to the table, because Stan Lee gave us so much content...And that’s the hard thing about the Marvel universe. It’s like, you can’t really go outside of the lines of those comic books."

https://variety.com/2024/film/news/anthony-mackie-marvel-movies-controlled-entertainment-1235954541/

On 28/03/2024 at 9:17 PM, Edmilson said:

Anthony Mackie says Marvel is "such a space of controlled entertainment. Like, there’s only so much you can do. There’s only so much creativity you can bring to the table, because Stan Lee gave us so much content...And that’s the hard thing about the Marvel universe. It’s like, you can’t really go outside of the lines of those comic books."

https://variety.com/2024/film/news/anthony-mackie-marvel-movies-controlled-entertainment-1235954541/

Looks nervously at Ms Marvel...

All the MCU films are made this way. I mean, maybe there was a bit more freedom on the first few, but by and large they're all very tightly controlled, producer-driven films.

Not that there's necessarily anything wrong with that, it's worked very well for Marvel, and there wouldn't be the continuity they've had without it. There's a reason it's the only truly successful shard universe. They just used to be a lot better at it.

On 28/03/2024 at 9:17 PM, Edmilson said:

And that’s the hard thing about the Marvel universe. It’s like, you can’t really go outside of the lines of those comic books."

I'm not sure what he meant with that, the thing that the MCU has done the most since its beginning is going outside what was established in the comic books... lol. Sometimes it works (Thanos and The Vulture are more interesting and complex than their counterparts in the comics) and sometimes it doesn't (like the horrendous take on the Taskmistress, I mean, Taskmaster).

https://screenrant.com/mcu-characters-not-comic-accurate/

Though it would be interesting seeing Jacob Batalon's Ned Leeds being brainwashed into becoming the Hobgoblin just to mess with Holland's Spidey, like what happens in the comics.

Note. The ONLY version of Shalla-Bal that was a Silver Surfer was in the Planet X/Univese X series, where she literally existed for a whopping 5 panels and a cover, had 2 lines of dialogue, and then was killed.

She served exclusively to define the reasons why the real Silver Surfer did what he did in that storyline.

She later shows up a few brief times in the Universe X storyline, but it is either brief flashbacks or in the Realm of the Dead where she meets the now dead Silver Surfer.

My guess is that this Fantastic Four movie will take place in an alternate dimension (just look at the buildings on that 4-4 Day card).  During the course of the movie they'll end up in the main MCU universe and then stay there for all subsequent movies

So maybe Julia Garner plays a version of the Silver Surfer in that orig universe that doesn't come over, and then someone else will play the main MCU Silver Surfer in a future movie.

As an aside, I think that Julia Garner could make a pretty good Rogue for the MCU X-Men.

The Thunderbolts movie has a new name.

Here it is:

Spoiler

Thunderbolts*

Florence Pugh actually revealed this over 2 weeks ago on Instagram, but now yesterday Feige confirmed it and says he can't say what it means until after the movie is out.

Weird.

3 minutes ago, Jay said:

What could it mean and why won't Feige talk about it until after it's out?

Maybe...

*Results may vary. Consult your doctor about viewing this film. 

Or

*Not in the main MCU timeline. See multiverse saga description for terms and conditions.