'Star Wars: The Force Awakens' SCORE speculation

Ricard

The proof is in the pudding people. He was basically brought in to further "trailer-ize" the music. That's all. Don't let the classic JWFan paranoia get to you!

Love that Lydian supertonic over the tonic pedal.

Yes! Best part.

In English?

Richard Feynman once said if someone can't explain something in plain language they aren't smart!

It's been quite a long time since practically everyone liked a new Williams composition.

But is it a Williams composition? And I didn't really love it to be honest. Not enough new material. Still good though.

Love that Lydian supertonic over the tonic pedal.

Yes! Best part.

In English?

Richard Feynman once said if someone can't explain something in plain language they aren't smart!

Richard Feynman was a bongo playing crackpot! And I love him!

It's the part that makes you feel the same sort of wonderful tension that accompanies the final seconds before orgasm.

Felix Erskine? WTF

by the way the last part sounds like the fanfare at the end of Yoda and the Force (oops it's been noted already)

Gotta to love the enthusiasm here for this 2 minute trailer music. Nice to see people excited over this. :)

We actually think Williams was involved with this? I don't know. That part underneath the re-purposed Luke ROTJ dialogue didn't sound like Williams to me at all. I feel like this trailer (teaser #2?) was thrown together for the Celebration. Sounded like altered OT music with a bunch of RCP synth bullshit.

We actually think Williams was involved with this? I don't know. That part underneath the re-purposed Luke ROTJ dialogue didn't sound like Williams to me at all. I feel like this trailer (teaser #2?) was thrown together for the Celebration. Sounded like altered OT music with a bunch of RCP synth bullshit.

Possibly, but the OT bits are new recordings... or aren't the original recordings, at least. Hopefully, we'll get some answers soon.

That bit reminded me a little of the first 30 seconds of the HP3 teaser. Which also doesn't sound much like Williams, but is anyway.

I don't know anymore. It sounds good but I have doubts too

Williams probably recorded short variations of of existing music, a bit like the Olympic bumpers and NBC news

That bit reminded me a little of the first 30 seconds of the HP3 teaser. Which also doesn't sound much like Williams, but is anyway.

You mean this?

From enthusiasm to doubt and despair in half a page. The JWFan way.

The significance and hope people place in a trailer is staggering sometimes

Yup.

On the subject of trailers I think they generate hype and raise the expectations of the audience. I thought this trailer was good because it was vague on the details whilst giving fans something to speculate on.

The teaser was so random (without story). I think it mainly wanted to reassure the fans that, even without its creator, it will be Star Wars. Familiarity is the key here! A snippet of the desert with an imperial cruiser in the background, acrobatic space battles, a glimpse of a Boba Fett 3.0, big Wagnerian score, lovely characters in problematic situations, stormtroopers, Chewie and Solo as the sympathetic melancholy duo ... In short, your beloved space opera will return!

Alex

I'm not sure if I like the superposition of the themes at 1:20 (it's a finale, I don't know from which original cue)

I wonder if John Williams recorded that for real or of it's a montage.

If it's a montage, it's forgivable.

If John Williams recorded that as it is, that means he's not able to write new Star Wars music anymore. :(

If John Williams recorded that as it is, that means he's not able to write new Star Wars music anymore.

This. We should all despair. The Maestro has finally lost it.

"Finally"? He lost it years ago!

Not for me! This was the moment of cruel revelation!

"Finally"? He lost it years ago!

I can only compare John Williams with an other aging artist I know very well, Charles Aznavour.

At 90, Aznavour, will issue a new album next may. What he's doing is very different from what he did in his golden age. The music is repetitive, we often recognize bits of old songs in his new compositions... It remains true Aznavour, but it may look less inventive, conventional, the text is sometimes more laborious, but but but... sometimes, a gem emerges and it's very moving!

I think it will be the same for John Williams.

That's not easy for a fan to see an artist he loves to grow old.

One can be critical, but we must remain respectful.