Jurassic World (Jurassic Park 4)

No remakes, please! I want to continue the existing storyline somehow, whether a prequel or a sequel, preferably with some of the established JP characters (although it would probably be difficult to get Attenborough back for Hammond in a prequel, as he's too old now to play a pre-JP version of himself).

I think I'd be unisterested in a remake.

I'm convinced you could make great films with dinosaurs without the need of making Jurassic Park 4, remaking the first film or adapting the novel again.

There's an interesting concept. If Spielberg/Universal or what have you wanted to do things that way and come up with a fresh idea, how much do you think they would have to re-design the dinosaurs? How much can you change those creatures (and the way they move, sound...) that are what they are anyway? Also, if we accept Jurassic Park as the pinnacle of dinosaur design, would the new look go against the new movie's detriment? Or would the audience accept the same dinosaurs in a different franchise?

Well if it wasn't a Jurassic Park film and the dinosaurs onscreen were supposed to be real dinosaurs unlike in JP, I would go with more modern and exact designs, I would avoid stock dinosaurs and try to surprise the audience, and I would really look up non dinosaur life for that purpose as well. I would probably rely a bit on showing off biodiversity if it was a time travel story. I would also give example of aggresiveness in plant-eaters and the need of predators of going silent. And lots of small animals of course. I think people can easily enjoy this, as people wouldn't like the repeating the designs and ideas of Jurassic Park, or at least I wouldn't (hell I was bothered by the use of JP's sfx in Avatar).

That's of course and option, as it depends completely on the story. If you make something like King Kong you can rely on vintage ideas and almost Burroughsian fantasy. And it can be a lot of fun.

I don't really care whether Spielberg or Williams are involved.....all I want is to return to that universe! I would preferably have a good director, though, but with Spielberg as producer, I'm sure that will be taken care of.

Spielberg also produced all the Transformers films and Cowboys vs. Aliens. I'm not sure Spielberg does the best job as a producer ;)

Personally, I'm a bit tired with Jurassic Park. I'd like to see if they'd branch out from the typical formula for the 4th film. It'll be interesting to see what they do.

Spielberg is executive producer on those and a whole load of others. It doesn't mean anything more than he owns a company that helped made it, probably.

Amblin made JP3, and I hear he visited the set at one point...

Exactly. So why is Spielberg producing Jurassic Park 4, something to be excited about?

Its better than someone else.

It also helps the franchise to stay within the same overall style and aesthetic that made me fall in love with it back in 1993. I think Spielberg will be more heavily involved in the creative process as a producer on something he has himself had a creative hand in, rather than something distant like TERRA NOVA or what-have-you.

Its possible, but like Stefan said. Spielberg usually tends to refrain from getting really involved with the films he produces.

I don't understand why people keep asking Spielberg why he isn't directing JP4. He's repeatedly said this over the years... and even if the movie gets out of development hell and gets made -- he's still not going to direct it. He loves the concept and wants to be involved in a more limited capacity as producer.

what, that williams was not scoring JIV?

I think we already knew that....

No, about the film not being made. At Comic Con they made it sound like this was about to start filming.

I don't really care whether Spielberg or Williams are involved.....all I want is to return to that universe! I would preferably have a good director, though, but with Spielberg as producer, I'm sure that will be taken care of.

A Michael Bay directed Jurassic Park is something I could get behind. Imagine all the dinosaurs and explosions, and Jablonsky's epic variation of Williams' theme.

Its possible, but like Stefan said. Spielberg usually tends to refrain from getting really involved with the films he produces.

Yes, he got a lesson with all the controversy surrounding POLTERGEIST. But again, that was a project he was heavily involved with (creatively), so he seems to be a bit more hands-on in those cases.

Yes, he got a lesson with all the controversy surrounding POLTERGEIST. But again, that was a project he was heavily involved with (creatively), so he seems to be a bit more hands-on in those cases.

"Hands-on" with "Poltergeist", as in directing it...

"Hands-on" with "Poltergeist", as in directing it...

Tobe Hooper is the director, and even Spielberg has confirmed this to; to avoid the speculation that he was. But he was definitely more involved, creatively, in this project than any other produced films of his.

• 4 months later...

I hate bumping a 6 year old thread, but Universal is still trying for Jurassic Park 4 (even with the first film getting the 3D treatment for next year). After striking out with Mark Protosevich last year, Kathleen Kennedy and Spielberg have turned their sights on married writing duo Rick Jaffa & Amanda Silver for the Jurassic Park 4 gig.

http://www.deadline.com/2012/06/universal-sets-rise-of-the-planet-of-the-apes-scribes-for-jurassic-park-4/

Considering how well Rise of the Apes was received, it could be a good thing. Maybe those two will finally get the film out of development hell and get made.

I hate bumping a 6 year old thread, but Universal is still trying for Jurassic Park 4 (even with the first film getting the 3D treatment for next year). After striking out with Mark Protosevich last year, Kathleen Kennedy and Spielberg have turned their sights on married writing duo Rick Jaffa & Amanda Silver for the Jurassic Park 4 gig.

http://www.deadline....urassic-park-4/

Considering how well Rise of the Apes was received, it could be a good thing. Maybe those two will finally get the film out of development hell and get made.

I've given up hope a long time ago.

It's one of the greatest mysteries in film land, IMO....how a universe that is so RIPE of untold stories and ways to experience cinema was seemingly shelved after JP3. There's probably some very mundane reason for why it has been absent for 10+ years (the PC game notwithstanding), but it's still very frustrating.

There are no stories to tell. The divergence of the movies from the books is the first reason future movies should not be told. The second is the fact that after running up the astronomic costs to rescue the people at the end of JP3 with that large military contingent, the only rational thing to do would be to napalm both islands and prevent future adventure-seekers from visiting them and need rescue.

at least it's not the idiots who wrote star trek and transformers.

What they should do (regarding JP4, not ST) is go back to the second book and do a movie that follows it more closely. I think there is a very good movie in that book and Spielberg completely missed the boat. I've always enjoyed the second book more then the first and was very disappointed when the movie basically tossed the book aside.

I really think TLW should have followed the book storyline everybody talks about. As it is, it's like in never explodes. Okay, there's dinosaurs and all, but there's no hook, not many scenes have a sense of real adventure, of being there, at least for me. I remember it as unfocused.

Both JP and TLW novels have great scenes that were practically written to be amazing film scenes. I don't know why Spielberg went in a completely different direction instead of using those great scenes.

The plot of the TLW novel is completely different than the plot of Spielberg's film

The novels are totally better than the films, but I guess that goes without saying. I guess I do like the third film more than a lot of people because their are a few elements (namely a version of the Pterandon aviary, that I actually think was used better in the 3rd film than in the first book) from the books that made there way into it that were left off from the previous two films. It's just a dumb, fun film that I don't take seriously at all, even in the franchise, but I still find it fun to watch.

I am very tired of hearing this new news on JP4 about screenwriters. Weren't they not long ago locked on a different screenwriter, like I mean merely months ago, and like Spielberg was "excited"? And yet, here we go again, with new ones?! It's very ridiculous that it has taken this long and that they are so indecisive. Granted the people they have working on it now are more promising than any before, but that still doesn't make me excited anymore. It seems to me the studio doesn't know what kind of film they really want, which immensely bothers me. Coming up with a story should NOT be this hard. Hell, as much as people didn't like the playability of that new Jurassic Park Game, at least it had a clear-cut story that it knew what it wanted to tell. And it was a story that fans of the film actually WANTED to see, and honestly, still could be done in the form of a movie. It didn't take the makers of the game very long to come up with it. Perhaps the filmmakers should go to THEM?

It really has become "the boy who cried JP4". Until I see evidence of shooting commencing, I can NEVER get excited for this. I just hope eventually when it does happen, in 2030, that it will at least be worth it. Sadly, it seems like they don't know what they want, so I'm going to have to say no. I'd rather just have a 35mm print of the first film and have a good day. ;)

I guess it's why I am actually more excited for Jurassic Park 3D next year than a 4th film. I have ALWAYS wanted to see it on the big screen again since I was little. I do hope they offer 2D showings, though, since I don't care about 3D. Either way it will be exciting. And I hope it will generate a better BluRay transfer of the first film, because I can't imagine them using a grain-enduced current transfer in the realm of 3D. It needs further cleanup or re-transfer.

I bet the novel is better :)

It is. The novel for Jurassic Park is also better than the movie equivalent (please don't get your panties in a bunch, I'm making an observation on the adaptation, not the qualify of the movie itself). The Lost World is completely unrecognizable from the book, and I was extremely disappointed when I saw the flick. I was a big Crichton fan back then when I was a teenager.

A lot of people gave TLW the movie flack because it showed the heroes taking the baby T-Rex back to the trailer to be nursed...that's in the book! I don't remember whether tipping the trailer over the cliff is, but it's been over ten years since I read the book.

The book is nice that continues the Dodgson storyline from the first book. I can imagine that conversation between Crichton and Spielberg...

SS: And that is why we'll use Hammond's evil nephew as our film's antagonist.

MC Very nice, Steven, but you left out Dodgson! He's the source of Nedry's betrayal! The whole reason the park failed was not because of natural chaos theory but one man deliberately sabotaging it to let nature have its way!

SS: Dodgson? Dodgson! We've got Dodgson here!

<crickets>

SS: See? Nobody cares.

MC: <sigh>

SS: And that is why we'll use Hammond's evil nephew as our film's antagonist.

MC Very nice, Steven, but you left out Dodgson! He's the source of Nedry's betrayal! The whole reason the park failed was not because of natural chaos theory but one man deliberately sabotaging it to let nature have its way!

SS: Dodgson? Dodgson! We've got Dodgson here!

<crickets>

SS: See? Nobody cares.

MC: <sigh>

Still a better love story than Twilight.

I bet the novel is better :)

It is. The novel for Jurassic Park is also better than the movie equivalent (please don't get your panties in a bunch, I'm making an observation on the adaptation, not the qualify of the movie itself). The Lost World is completely unrecognizable from the book, and I was extremely disappointed when I saw the flick. I was a big Crichton fan back then when I was a teenager.

Don't worry! Jurassic Park never has been one of my favourite films, however, I like more than the sequels.

Having recently re-read both novels, Heck it made me sad how TLW novel could have been a good movie.

Really it could even have the san diego ending, but instead of being ludlow the bad guy it could have been dogson the one who tried to capture live animals and bring them to mainland to reverse-engineer them.

And if you notice, every new character in the novel is mixxed in pairs for the film...

Heck Crichton even used ford explorers to match JP film... and then SPielberg uses Mercedes... :P

PD: Yes the cliff scene is there, but it's not a shore cliff, but a promotory in the island mainland.

I am very tired of hearing this new news on JP4 about screenwriters. Weren't they not long ago locked on a different screenwriter, like I mean merely months ago, and like Spielberg was "excited"? And yet, here we go again, with new ones?! It's very ridiculous that it has taken this long and that they are so indecisive. Granted the people they have working on it now are more promising than any before, but that still doesn't make me excited anymore. It seems to me the studio doesn't know what kind of film they really want, which immensely bothers me.

I don't think it's the studio that's being indecisive -- more like Kennedy and Spielberg are. Spielberg is looking for a specific kind of script, one that doesn't have too much science-related stuff or too much action. And everyone knows that if he's in love with something and wants to get it made, he won't let it go until it gets traction.

It could be that Jaffa & Silver hatched an idea for JP4 and approached Kennedy & Spielberg. They did the same thing with Rise of the Planet of the Apes-- they hatched an idea for a Planet of the Apes prequel, went to Peter Chernin , and boom -- the movie got fast-tracked, got released, and was well-received critically and financially. And now Fox has a revived franchise in their hands.

Perhaps Jaffa & Silver will be the ones to bring the JP franchise out of stagnation.

The big problem is how close minded people are when it comes to these movies. The hard part shouldn't just be "how do you get them back on the island of dinosaurs?" An inventive writer takes the world created in Jurassic Park, and finds new stories to explore. The starting point is simple: what would happen if an island actually existed on Earth with prehistoric dinosaurs? What are the global implications of this? What does it mean for society, and science? What does it mean for governments, politics, environmentalists? What else could be cloned to life with this technology? What else might have accidentally been cloned than just the dinosaurs themselves? What other technology could be developed using these techniques, and for what (potentially evil) purposes? What longterm effects on our ecosystem could cloning extinct plants and animals have? Could they attack and break down all other species and make our planet incredibly hostile to all life currently existant? I'm surprised they never followed up on the interesting points raised in the first film about extinct plants defending themselves. I'd love a sequence set in a genetically engineered forest of dangerous, living plants, attacking humans (think a giant venus flytrap using human bodies as nutrience; disturbing stuff and something people haven't seen before).

Make it epic; make it a global story, and keep it set two decades after the original movie. Play off the fact that it's been so long since the last film, and show just how Earth has degenerated in interesting ways since it all began. Create the world, then find an interesting story to tell within it. Surely the natural progression of the series was dinosaurs eventually becoming globalised animals, possibly causing the extinction of any number of other predators on our planet, and throwing the whole ecosystem into chaos. Morality tale, environmental tale, and potential for great sciience fiction and intense action. Pure Spielberg.

The narrow view that a JP film just needs to be about people running from dinosaurs on an island is the entire reason the two sequels were so underwhelming. Who needs to see that over and over? Nobody thought outside the box about other stories an island full of dinosaurs can create!