Who should take over on STAR WARS after Williams is gone?

curlytoot

45 members have voted

1. 1. Who should take over on STAR WARS after Williams is gone?

• Michael Giacchino
    • Alexandre Desplat
    • David Arnold
    • James Newton Howard
    • Thomas Newman
    • Brian Tyler
    • Danny Elfman
    • Marco Beltrami
    • Trevor Jones
    • George Fenton
    • John Debney
    • John Ottman
    • Hans Zimmer
    • Patrick Doyle
    • Joel McNeely
    • William Ross
    • John Powell
    • Alan Silvestri
    • Howard Shore
    • David Newman

I'd like any of the Lucasarts old guys to be given a chance on a project like this -Michael Land, Peter McConnell and/or Clint Bajakian. I always wondered why they never made the transition to film, considering it was so easy for Giacchino.

I only know Wintory from that game with the adorable flying doormats. Who's O'Donnell?

Like Koray and Lee said... Marty from Halo!

Yeah Journey is an amazing score. I haven't played the game but really want to; seems to exist in my preferred aesthetic space. Fl0w is great as well. And I've heard some early concert pieces by him that are very curious.

Koray isn't a fan though, and I'm not sure O'Donnell would be to Sharky's taste either.

To me, the huge body of work he's put into the two universes he's composed for is utterly brilliant. That's why he's who I'd consider a fit for the SW franchise, because he understands leitmotif rich heft and sweep, big time.

Williams could very well retire from film scoring after Ep 7 and The BFG. Who knows.

I think so too

He's very likely going to score Ready Player One for Spielberg; Whether or not he'll score Episode 8, Han Solo, or Episode 9 is more questionable

Williams is an egomaniac who wants every "episode" score for himself.

So the rumors are true that he often shout: "Star Wars, Star Wars, I -AM- STAR WARS!!!!"

Yes, every night before going to bed.

A composer can compose till the very end, remember that.

JJA: "Maybe we should use the Force theme in that scene"

JW: "Oh, thanks, JJ, that's an interresting suggestion. Why not instead use the Force Theme in that scene?"

After he's passed, the new SW films will just cut up and re-use the pre-existing 7-9 JW scores to underscore the film!

I think so too

He's very likely going to score Ready Player One for Spielberg; Whether or not he'll score Episode 8, Han Solo, or Episode 9 is more questionable

Agree, I think he'll keep writing for Spielberg for as long as possible.

As far as Star Wars goes, I'm just beyond thrilled he's doing 7 and for now I'll leave it at that. As Stefan mentioned in the Han Solo spinoff thread, this is kind of the last hurrah for Star Wars as we know it, anyway....everything's splintering off, torches are being passed etc. Even if he does do 8 and/or 9 which I hope he will, they won't mean quite as much.

Or at least that'll be my rationalization in case he doesn't :P

I hope he does the main trilogy at least, i'm even fine with him skipping Spielberg for it (well, it depends on the movie, but if he is going for that Jennifer Lawrence war pic, if he is going for Montezuma or Robocalypse, then maybe not, depends on how amazing SW VII will be though I guess).

Koray isn't a fan though, and I'm not sure O'Donnell would be to Sharky's taste either.

To me, the huge body of work he's put into the two universes he's composed for is utterly brilliant. That's why he's who I'd consider a fit for the SW franchise, because he understands leitmotif rich heft and sweep, big time.

I remember playing Halo 3 in splitscreen multiplayer at a mates house back in the day, but the music didn't register. Just listened to your example, and I was blown away. Wow. This O'Donnell guy's got skills.

What does O'Donnell and Wintory's dissonance sound like, though?

Who would Williams himself suggest as his successor? I'm sure Disney will ask him. They won't listen to Lucas but they will listen to Williams.

Alex