Who should take over on STAR WARS after Williams is gone?

curlytoot

45 members have voted

1. 1. Who should take over on STAR WARS after Williams is gone?

• Michael Giacchino
    • Alexandre Desplat
    • David Arnold
    • James Newton Howard
    • Thomas Newman
    • Brian Tyler
    • Danny Elfman
    • Marco Beltrami
    • Trevor Jones
    • George Fenton
    • John Debney
    • John Ottman
    • Hans Zimmer
    • Patrick Doyle
    • Joel McNeely
    • William Ross
    • John Powell
    • Alan Silvestri
    • Howard Shore
    • David Newman

Uh, this is preexisting music tracked in. Who cares? Why are we analyzing it? When I watch the video I hear Star Trek.

We're talking more about Giacchino music in general than the specific tracks selected.

Uh, this is preexisting music tracked in. Who cares? Why are we analyzing it? When I watch the video I hear Star Trek.

We're talking more about Giacchino music in general than the specific tracks selected.

I think Koray's point was that Sharky was criticizing Giacchino's music for not syncing 100% with the clips, even though the music was written for other films (and used well in those films, in my opinion).

The overall conversation may be about Giacchino's music in general, but Sharky was criticizing those specific tracks.

To be frank, Giacchino doesn't stand out to me. When I hear Alexandre, I always want to know who the composer is. I don't have that with Giacchino (or most other composers). I admit, I'm not that familiar with his scores. Somehow I rarely see the movies he has worked on.

Alexandre

I think his work on Medal of Honor was always very good. That was the first orchestral video game music I heard (that wasn't Star Wars). It's something that isn't used often in video games these days.

Just to remind you: nobody is automatically the best at what they do. Even John Williams has had to practice and work hard to get to that point. Giacchino could get there.

He doesn't need to.

Jason once stated that its unfair to compare Gia to JW because when JW was Gia's age he still hadn't done any of the works he is now known for.

But Gia has already scored quite a number of blockbusters, and very successful films and won an Oscar.

His current skil level is more then adequate for him to be one of the most successful Hollywood film composers. There doesn't seem to be any great need for him to further develop himself.

That might be why he only works with "friends" and really only does certain types of film.

Giacchino might already have achieved more at an earlier age than Williams but will he become a legend like Herrmann or Williams? I ... don't ... think ... so.

Zimmer, on the other hand ...

Only time will tell. That's another point I should have made. I think Giacchino has the ability to get right up there with Williams and Goldsmith, given time.

Giacchino might already have achieved more at an earlier age than Williams but will he become a legend like Herrmann or Williams? I ... don't ... think ... so.

Zimmer, on the other hand ...

Agreed. Zimmer has been far more influential then Gia. His style has dominated Hollywood for quite a while now, while Gia is essentially a more successful John Debney or Joel McNeely.

Talented second raters.

I dunno, 'greatness' almost always manifests itself very early on in a career.

How long is Giacchino doing scores?

He started in the late 90s. MOH was the first score I heard by him and it's a masterpiece. He composed that at 31 vs John's first masterpiece at 43 ;)

Criticising the music placement in the video is kind of mute. The pieces weren't composed for Star Wars so of course they don't match. I did it for fun to give myself an overall flavour and anyone else who wanted to gain a better idea of what it would be like. I said I wasn't good at editing. Not at all in fact. I'm pretty bad. But I'm proud of the video and think it's actually okay and does a decent job of displaying the point it is making.

The point being that we all should be thankful that leeallen01 is not a decision maker in the entertainment industry?

Does making picky remarks make you feel like a big boy? I specifically said days ago that I would actually prefer someone that is so far from the Star Wars style, like Bear McCreary, who would approach it very differently. I made this video for fun and for people who would want to have a better idea of what it would be like. I didn't make it to help you feel witty for a few minutes.

I'm not sure whether Giacchino should score Star Wars. But... there's this one 24-second passage in John Carter that sounds like it could belong in the galaxy far far away. It's 1:49-2-13 portion of this track:

As silly as it may sound, this might be my favourite Giacchino moment ever.

Karol

Does making picky remarks make you feel like a big boy? I specifically said days ago that I would actually prefer someone that is so far from the Star Wars style, like Bear McCreary, who would approach it very differently. I made this video for fun and for people who would want to have a better idea of what it would be like. I didn't make it to help you feel witty for a few minutes.

I'm...sorry.

Until now 2010 was the last great year for him. I certainly thought he peaked too early but Tomorrowland and Jurassic World beg to differ.

What's wrong with Inside Out and Jupiter Ascending?

The point being that we all should be thankful that leeallen01 is not a decision maker in the entertainment industry?

Friendly word of advice, Lee: grow a thick skin if you intend to settle here.

Some people here react extremely hostile to any differing opinions, and you're telling me to grow a thick skin? Most of you are very thin skinned yourselves. You all can have you buttons pressed quite easily. As can I. No one has a thick skin when it comes to someone telling you your opinion is wrong. However strong they think their opinion is. That's why millions die in wars.

Let's all be nice to each other and respect each other's opinions even if you don't agree with them, alright?

I dunno, 'greatness' almost always manifests itself very early on in a career.

How long is Giacchino doing scores?

He started in the late 90s. MOH was the first score I heard by him and it's a masterpiece. He composed that at 31 vs John's first masterpiece at 43 ;)

How long does he write for film and did he already write a Jaws or a Star Wars in that period? If he did, then why doesn't the world know about it?

Alex (or the world)

Gia has yet to write a Jaws or Star Wars. He's still relatively young and it could still happen for him at some point. Still, I find Williams 60s material more interesting and enjoyable than most of Gia's work to date.

I once wrote my Gia thoughts and misgivings by way of an eloquent Jaws comparison but I can't find it and the search engine drew a blank. I don't have Jason's skills in that regard.

Wrong, it works great, and I've showed you how to use it countless times now. You refuse to use it properly. Don't blame anyone but yourself

Quint, you're gonna have to give me more to go on here to find this post. Around what year did you write it? What other key words might you have used in your post?

Wrong, it works great, and I've showed you how to use it countless times now. You refuse to use it properly. Don't blame anyone but yourself

If you and Marcy ever have a child he will grow up hating you if you talk to him like that!

Stefan, its very annoying that you continually complain about the search engine, since the problem isn't the engine but that you refuse to use it properly. It definitely finds anything you want it to, if you don't use it wrong!

That much is certain!

Stefan, stop complaining about the search engine if you continually refuse to use it properly. It finds anything you want it to, if you don't use it wrong.

Chill out dude! I wasn't blaming you. Why you gotta take things personal like that?

The key words I tried were WILLIAMS GIA GIACCHINO and JAWS.

I can't remember the year, sorry. I'd say it was within 3 years.

I'm guessing you didn't write this post on JWFan because there is no post that mentions Jaws written by you that has anything to do with Giacchino going back to 2006. Maybe it was on Facebook, FSM, or when we were on Koray's temporary board after Jack Chapple almost destroyed this board

Why not just write your comparison again?