Star Wars Episode VII: The Force Awakens (JJ Abrams 2015)

crocodile

Music worked bloody brilliantly in the trailer. Like the shot of Darth Vader's helmet, and old Hans Solo blended in surprisingly well.

The first shot is a bit weird to me, they're clearly trying to use old practical effects to appease fans but it's clearly a model star destroyer and seems like it's out of a different movie.

I love the look of the first shot. It looks like a matte painting, but that's why I like it.

Sure, but I'm asking why didn't it COMPLETELY melt? Does this mean his entire suit still exists 30 years later, just a little squishy like his helmet?

Funny that the IMO weakest shot and line is already so loved. Also, I saw Harrison Ford, not Solo. Hopefully it will feel better in the movie.

27A4458100000578-3042308-_Chewy_we_re_ho

Is it just me or does the new Chewie costume look really bad? Still looks better than the ROTS version though.

I'm sure Alex will address that as he continues to dissect the problems with the shot.

I still have no idea what this film will be about.

Hence "Teaser"

I see. Wasn't there one already?

Yes. this is the second teaser.

I'm sure Alex will address that as he continues to dissect the problems with the shot.

I already did.

images_zpseo4j2ciz.jpg

Star Wars Holiday Special!

But I love the sudden zoom shot when the Falcon goes into the opening of the ship wreck.

Everyone in the trailer looks like part of a worn-in universe, and then Chewie shows up with completely and perfectly combed and shiny fur.

I already did.

images_zpseo4j2ciz.jpg

You touched on the shot itself, the dialogue, Ford's performance, but not Chewie's look, until now! Are you slipping?

Funny that the IMO weakest shot and line is already so loved. Also, I saw Harrison Ford, not Solo. Hopefully it will feel better in the movie.

I wonder if Ford still even knows how to play Solo?

The fanboys will love that line Alex, thats why it was put in.

That

Everyone in the trailer looks like part of a worn-in universe, and then Chewie shows up with completely and perfectly combed and shiny fur.

That's pretty much how he appeared in SW77, and presumably this is near the beginning of the film, and they have been enjoying a somewhat "normal life"

Was this shot on film?

The 'Chewie we're home' bit looked wonderful.

Yes, Daniel Mindel shot this on Kodak 35mm and IMAX 65mm. And it looks it, not a lot of crazy color correction or grain removal.

I'm just glad that Ford looks kinda happy to be there. Hopefully his 4th Solo is better than his 4th Indy.

Love the trailer. On the one hand, it would be kind of nice to know what the film is generally about, but at the same time, I'm happy with the little glimpses for now. I think the marketing has been just fine this far in advance (considering it's Abrams, I'm honestly surprised we've seen as much as we have), and I imagine they'll be slipping out bits of info on the characters and the overall situation of the film as we get closer to Christmas, whether it's in the next trailer or some other way.

I already did.

images_zpseo4j2ciz.jpg

You touched on the shot itself, the dialogue, Ford's performance, but not Chewie's look, until now! Are you slipping?

Not at all. Actually, my first thought was to call it the TGP shot because its mushiness reminded me of you. And by the way you are reacting, I was right. It's your favorite moment, isn't it?

I wonder if Ford still even knows how to play Solo?

The fanboys will love that line Alex, thats why it was put in.

The same who love The Crystal Skull?

I already did.

images_zpseo4j2ciz.jpg

Not at all. Actually, my first thought was to call it the TGP shot because its mushiness reminded me of you. And by the way you are reacting, I was right.

Another pissing contest, you want? Classic!

I have no feelings on the last shot one way or the other. I simply found the progression of your criticism amid the other posts amusing. The way you reacted says far more about you.

OK, after rewatching the trailer, I'd say I'm rather excited for the film, even though there are a few things I'm not completely sold on.

Funny that the IMO weakest shot and line is already so loved. Also, I saw Harrison Ford, not Solo.

Agreed. Weakest part of the trailer.