Star Wars Episode VII: The Force Awakens (JJ Abrams 2015)

crocodile

Quint, that comment is one of the strangest comments I've read on this forum in quite a while.

Yes OF COURSE something can be unique, daring, and different while being ugly and unappealing.

Okay I get it this is like one of those times when a talking head who writes for a website says something really unpopular about a movie or game and thinks he's making an uncomfortable controversial point just because he's got a few people leaving responses in the Disqus comments section below when the obvious reality is the Phantom Menace just looks like synthetic badly lit arse.

Just because you say and possibly think it doesn't mean you qualified it, Blume.

I've always liked well spotted moments like that, they can add tangible dynamism to a shot. Lucas did something right for once when he stuck one in Attack of the Clones, because it made the movie feel well made for about 2 seconds.

Look at The Phantom Menace. I can't think of a film within a decade of its release, forward or backwards that has the same aesthetics. From overall art direction, down to the choice of transitions, the style of dialogue, story pacing, to sound profile!

I'd say that every Star Wars film has its own look but they all look like Star Wars.

The prequels look like TV episodes glued together.

I've always liked well spotted moments like that, they can add tangible dynamism to a shot. Lucas did something right for once when he stuck one in Attack of the Clones, because it made the movie feel well made for about 2 seconds.

Hahahahaha!!

Look at The Phantom Menace. I can't think of a film within a decade of its release, forward or backwards that has the same aesthetics. From overall art direction, down to the choice of transitions, the style of dialogue, story pacing, to sound profile!

I'd say that every Star Wars film has its own look but they all look like Star Wars.

David Tatterstal isn't a very good DP.

He also did Die Another Day, which looks awful

Well we can be certain you have no authority on taste!

David Tatterstal isn't a very good DP.

He also did Die Another Day, which looks awful

I like the Cuba scenes. They harken back to Ted Moore's photography on the early Bonds.

TPM might be bland, but it's crisp and elegant. Miles better than the digital shit sauce of the other two prequels. That all said, the only SW film with remarkable lensing is ESB, thanks to the great Peter Suschitzky.

By the way, did anyone else think that voiceover was some of the most cringeworthy bullshit they've heard in a while? "The Force runs in the family...my Dad has it...my sister has it...

Hold on now. Did you seriously not recognize that his narration was lines he said in Return of the Jedi?

Whether it's the same recording as from 1983, edited for pacing and inflection, or a new reading, I can't tell for sure. But it's interesting in the original presentation, "my sister" and "you" are the same person, Leia. Here, we can't know yet who he's talking to. Leia again, or a new Skywalker prodigy.

Whether it's the same recording as from 1983, edited for pacing and inflection, or a new reading, I can't tell for sure.

It's definitely not a 2014/2015 recording hearing how Hamill's voice sounded in the live panel.

Whether it's the same recording as from 1983, edited for pacing and inflection, or a new reading, I can't tell for sure.

It's definitely not a 2014/2015 recording hearing how Hamill's voice sounded in the live panel.

I agree. The voice sounds young, with inflection just like in the earlier film.

Is Vader's charred skull still in it?

it will probably have a cameo ala Sean Connery photo in KOTCS allowing for a brief mention of Empire theme. But the drama will quickly switch to the love rectangle of chewy-han-luke-leia. My expectation is JW will use quartal harmony to represent the foursome. hahahaha.

I agree. The voice sounds young, with inflection just like in the earlier film.

Also notice he says "My father has it." I think it's just clipped from ROTJ.

She may cut your dick in half and serve it to a pig

And though it hurts, you'll laugh and dance a dickless jig

But that's the way the way it goes, in Star Wars you're shat upon

Even if you die, LA RESISTANCE lives on

Whether it's the same recording as from 1983, edited for pacing and inflection, or a new reading, I can't tell for sure. But it's interesting in the original presentation, "my sister" and "you" are the same person, Leia. Here, we can't know yet who he's talking to. Leia again, or a new Skywalker prodigy.

I don't think "sister" and "you" are the same person because he says, "you have that power, too." He could be saying it to the Solo offspring.

Just for some perspective, the Prequels, Crystal Skull and Star Trek 2009 all looked great from the trailers. It's not hard to make this shit look awesome when you're dealing with stuff that is awesome by default. You know, Luke, Han, Chewie, X-Wings, TIE Fighters, the Falcon, droids, Vader's helmet, etc.

That said, I liked what I saw. However, I felt like it basically confirmed all the rumors/spoilers that they called bullshit on.

Just for some perspective, the Prequels, Crystal Skull and Star Trek 2009 all looked great from the trailers. It's not hard to make this shit look awesome when you're dealing with stuff that is awesome by default. You know, Luke, Han, Chewie, X-Wings, TIE Fighters, the Falcon, droids, Vader's helmet, etc.

That said, I liked what I saw. However, I felt like it basically confirmed all the rumors/spoilers that they called bullshit on.

True, which is why I am cautiously optimistic. I enjoyed this teaser more than the previous for your listed reasons, including Williams music. However, TFA is lacking one thing the Prequels and Crystal Skull had in common... Lucas. Lucas is gone now and even his treatments reportedly weren't used for TFA. But, Abrams did say they were trying to please everybody, which includes those who enjoy the PT and Crystal Skull. Therefore, I still remain mostly excited for Williams music.

True, which is why I am cautiously optimistic. I enjoyed this teaser more than the previous for your listed reasons, including Williams music. However, TFA is lacking one thing the Prequels and Crystal Skull had in common... Lucas. Lucas is gone now and even his treatments reportedly weren't used for TFA. But, Abrams did say they were trying to please everybody, which includes those who enjoy the PT and Crystal Skull. Therefore, I still remain mostly excited for Williams music.

Pretty much just in it for Williams too, but I am liking the new tidbits we're getting. The three new leads look good together. X-Wing pilot, Scavenger, and Stormtrooper is a neat combination. This BB-8 thing just seems charming as hell, fascinating to see in action at that panel, love how small it is and the way it constantly rolls and slides around which could be pretty funny. Seems like an actually fun, entertaining sidekick. We're all bound to have our problems with how the story develops, but I'm liking the tone of the trailers in a way that I haven't really felt about a lot of recent blockbusters. They either look way too serious or not serious enough, and these are hitting a decent sweet spot.

I just saw the BB-8 clip at the panel. I think aside from Williams' score, he'll be the best part of the film!

About that snap zoom, it was the only part I hated. STID has quite a few of them.

It's nothing new. The Battle of Hoth had a snap zoom!

I hope they do something about Carrie Fisher's mushmouth. Jesus, I cannot stand to listen to her speak anymore.

Digitally remove her mouth? :o

About that snap zoom, it was the only part I hated. STID has quite a few of them.

It's nothing new. The Battle of Hoth had a snap zoom!

The binoculars shot?

Abrams did make some veiled jabs at the over reliance on CGI by talking up the value of practical effects.

Good!

I was talking about the art direction. So was Blumkuhl.

Well we can be certain you have no authority on taste!

So you think Phantom Menace was daring AND love Attack of the Clones? Oh god, it's all so much clearer now.

By the way, did anyone else think that voiceover was some of the most cringeworthy bullshit they've heard in a while? "The Force runs in the family...my Dad has it...my sister has it...

Hold on now. Did you seriously not recognize that his narration was lines he said in Return of the Jedi?

Jay, this is the meta film makers have to deal with nowadays.

Stop trolling, get out of this thread and stop your shitposting!!! You are extremely annoying. How can you get enjoyment out of of pooping into one of the most exciting threads on jwfan in the last 10 years!

Trailer looked fantastic! Art direction, music, acting and scenery are amazing!!

Dat John Williams music!

Is fantastic!

That's because it was written 30 years ago.

Fucking braindead troll posts... gkgyver you suck