The Force Awakens ALBUM Discussion (No Film Spoilers)

rebekahnoelleparker

I've always disliked Superman, so...yeah. Easy comparison for me.

I knew it!

I've only listened to Superman a couple of times, really. Remember my age!

What does age have to do with the number of times one can listen to a JW masterpiece?

Rey's Theme is much better than what I was expecting from the trailer.

Didn't really like that first statement of the Rebel Fanfare though.

To drop my two cents into the Superman matter, I always thought that score is superior to Star Wars in terms of chronological flow. More like a tone poem it is.

But, as I probably won't listen to TFA until it leaks on the internet or shows up on local radio, I can't really comment on it, other than I am expecting that John will have done his best with the modern cinematic material he has to deal with. I also think that, like Abrams, he is introducing things for this film that another composer(s), or even he himself, might elaborate on in the next two installments.

So who here that HAS seen the film wants to take a crack at the chronological list of tracks? :D

Looking at the track titles, it seems the OST is pretty much in chronological order. Of course, since Rey's theme is a concert version, you should put it at the end (or at the beginning. It's up to you!), but apart from that, looks chronological to me (maybe you have to switch Scherzo For X-Wings and The Ways Of The Force, but I'm not sure of that).

Just finished my first listen through, having not seen the film. Much of it was more anonymous than I would like. The first track, for example, followed a lackluster title performance with a lot of aimless action music that I'm not sure left an impression on me, or at least, not yet. I'm sure, as I unpack this score, I will find plenty to enjoy in those sequences.

Not that my reaction is negative. Those are just some of the feelings I had. I'm sure I will only love it more and more as I relisten.

The highlights for me are Scherzo for X-Wings and The Jedi Steps. The latter left me near tears as it segued into the end credits. If this did end up being Williams' final Star Wars score, which I doubt it will be, that would be a perfectly fitting send off.

The Girl With The Staff has a snippet of Luke and Leia about 10 seconds in. I wonder what it represents?

Didn't notice that before! it does sound reminiscent of Luke and Leia.

1:28 - 1:34 in The Falcon is pretty vintage Williams. Fun little moment!

And a pretty bad edit too...

What?

The Girl With The Staff has a snippet of Luke and Leia about 10 seconds in. I wonder what it represents?

Not sure if that's a reference to Luke and Leia. It's quite different rhythmically and harmonically, and although the melody is similar, it has an extra note in the middle (the 3rd of the six pitches is not part of the 5 note opening melody of L&L)

I did.

There's a change from brass to xylophones, but that doesnt mean an edit to a different take for me.

Are you sure?

Yes, I'm sure, but it doesn't really bother me and it shouldn't matter at all to those who don't hear it or disagree. I just wished the music itself was better, thought.