The Force Awakens ALBUM Discussion (No Film Spoilers)

rebekahnoelleparker

Just listened to Main Title/Attack on Jakku, The Scavenger, Rey's Theme, March of the Resistance, and Scherzo for X-Wings. Saving the rest for the film tomorrow night. And I also listened to the very beginning of The Jedi Steps just to hear the ABC spot thing :P As I expected it sounds way better in its proper recording, I'm much happier with it.

I wasn't quite sure what to make of The Scavenger/Rey's Theme on first listen, not so much the surprising orchestral colors (which are wonderful) but more because there are three different recurring ideas in there (the fast rhythmic motif, the slower one, and the theme proper) and I didn't quite make sense of them altogether for some reason, but I'm hooked on it now. I love this. Sad to hear it apparently doesn't make much of an impact on the rest of the album....there's a lot of it in the film, right?

The march and scherzo are fun, though yeah, not really all-timers or anything. The march's theme is growing on me, though. And I thought the main title sounded fine, not sure where the lackluster comments are coming from.

Anyone know which track it appears first in?

Granted I was listening to most of the score on a bus, so I maybe just cruised through it?

Seriously, you listened to the score once in transit and are already judging it against the others?

For fuck sake!

Typical KK!

"Was listening to the score while cutting wood with a chainsaw. Thought music was pure shit!"

In my defence, it was a quiet bus, and I just wasn't blown away by the music right away, that's all!!

On my second listen, the first half actually has a lot of heart. Rey's theme is wonderful.

Hopefully I do warm up more to the whole thing, or I'm sure Steef will have me crucified.

I wasn't quite sure what to make of The Scavenger/Rey's Theme on first listen, not so much the surprising orchestral colors (which are wonderful) but more because there are three different recurring ideas in there (the fast rhythmic motif, the slower one, and the theme proper) and I didn't quite make sense of them altogether for some reason, but I'm hooked on it now. I love this. Sad to hear it apparently doesn't make much of an impact on the rest of the album....there's a lot of it in the film, right?

You're right. There's a lot going on with the theme, but you do really warm up to it. Especially with the sweeping statements of the main melody.

So that melody from the TV Spot that was thought to be Rey's Theme, does it just play in that near the end track and thats it? I'm glad cause I didn't care for the theme much though it is more bearable on the CD than in the TV spot.

You're right. There's a lot going on with the theme, but you do really warm up to it. Especially with the sweeping statements of the main melody.

Those sweeping statements remind me of Yoda's Theme (well I guess the second half of it), and as I said earlier, a lot of it sounds like Ren's theme (and maybe some little bits resemble Luke's three-note descending thematic fragment, but less so). I think you could make a convincing case of Rey's lineage from her theme in either of those directions...

Meanwhile, "The Abduction" is a fantastic cue, ending with one of Rey's themes. I'm still a little confused over the way she has like four different melodies.

Ricard obviously doesn't like it as much as you do.

Yes, its very easy to figure out what he meant

No need for a derisive "wow" if that is indeed the case.

Not only am I enamored of it musically, but the hype and excitement contribute also. And most significantly, there are several personal reasons for me to have great affection for it.

So, if that seems silly, wow away!

Derisive? That gets another "wow". And no your reasons don't seem silly at all, they are yours and I respect them as much as anyone else's.

There are so many dozens of Williams albums that I'd consider superior to TFA on first listens that I'm utterly surprised to see that it makes anyone's top 10.

That is all.

Hopefully seeing the film will change my opinion.

I can't remember now how much I loved Tintin or War Horse on first listen.

I think it took me a few listens to get into Tintin, though.

I think this is a top 10 Williams for me.

Wow.

I can see that. I was sold by "The Scavenger" and it just got better and better and better.

But I also went into this thinking it would be a dull autopilot score.

My favorite tracks:

02 The Scavenger

05 Follow Me

06 Rey's Theme

10 Finn's Confession

11 Maz's Counsel

15 Han and Leia

20 The Ways of the Force

23 The Jedi Steps and Finale

Every second of the final track is really great!

Yeah, the finale was good stuff.

"The Starkiller" was moving too, though it has War Horse written all over it.

My opinions on some pieces will also go up when I can crank them on headphones instead of listening on Dell computer speakers, too :P

Ofcourse! These are loads of JW scores better then this. Doesn't mean its still not excellent.

TGP's taste go towards the modern JW stuff anyway, rather then the true classics.

The true classics were all modern JW stuff at some point!

I want to know what the inversion of Kylo's theme is, I just don't hear it.

When I try to hum it, it sounds like maybe it is similar to Han and Leia, is that right?

Yes. Think of Ren's theme as these four notes: 1 -> 2 (short step down), 2 -> 3 (large leap down), 3 -> 4 (medium leap up), and compare with the predominantly distinctive four notes of the other theme in question (ignoring the first leap notes): 1 -> 2 (short step up), 2 -> 3 (large leap up), 3 -> 4 (large leap down). The direction is the opposite (how apt), and the intervals of the steps (short/large etc) are more or less the same, although truthfully it's not 1:1, but the overall intended effect I think is quite clear, if maybe not obvious.

It reminded me of ROTS string writing.

This entire scores string writing and recording has more in common with 77 SW than any of the prequels.

In fact the whole score is 1977 John Williams meets PoA/War Horse Williams.

I also like the spirit of Finn's theme, but I wish it stuck out more in the score.

And I'm not sure if I'm just being obtuse, but I don't know which of the motifs here belong to Kylo Ren.

It reminded me of ROTS string writing.

This entire scores string writing and recording has more in common with 77 SW than any of the prequels.

Nah. Most of the string writing here takes after Williams' more layered harmonic style of the post-00s.

My opinions on some pieces will also go up when I can crank them on headphones instead of listening on Dell computer speakers, too :P

Oh... I'll forget about everything you posted then.

Fucking hell!

The Moderator of JWfan listening for the first time on computer speakers!