Star Wars The Force Awakens - complete score

TimH

I just wonder if anyone knows if a complete score for TFA as so many cues were missing from the album especially the force theme before the sabre duel between Ray and Kylo - even if it's been edited in from A New Hope ! 

The recording sessions from TFA have not leaked, nor has there been a comprehensive official release, but you can find some music that was not on the original soundtrack CD on the Disney Awards site's "For Your Consideration" tracks, as well as in the "The Force Awakens - Complete Score Breakdown & Chronological Order (Film Spoilers Allowed)" thread on these forums, where the poster Faleel has posted rips from the film as well as various documentaries. The following threads offer information on finding more TFA music:

The Force theme quote you mention that was directly tracked in from A New Hope can be heard on the "Burning Homestead" track from the A New Hope soundtrack. I think someone on YouTube already posted an edit of "The Ways of the Force" TFA OST track with the "Burning Homestead" quote inserted where it is heard in the TFA film (the "The Ways of the Force" OST track includes the Force theme statement that Williams newly composed specifically for that scene in TFA, which the filmmakers decided to replace in the final film with the tracked bit from A New Hope). 

I figured if such a comprehensive soundtrack CD could be made for the most undeserving film (TPM), then they should all get the same treatment. Boy was I filled with wishful thinking. There are still unreleased tracks from the OT, as well as technical problems needing to be fixed (left and right channels switched, etc.). Unfortunately, The TFA single CD and FYC tracks don't quite fit the bill.

I sincerely hope a complete score is at least being discussed in a boardroom somewhere.

4 minutes ago, User897 said:

I figured if such a comprehensive soundtrack CD could be made for the most undeserving film (TPM), then they should all get the same treatment.

That would be just cruel if we got Ultimate Edition-style releases for the other films. That approach is anything but comprehensive, especially in cases like these films, where many cues end up butchered beyond recognition or omitted entirely. I mean, sure, it's better than nothing, but make no mistake - if they did this sort of album for TFA, we'd still be missing a lot of music. The score is a mess in the film, not to mention all the rescored material.

10 minutes ago, Datameister said:

That would be just cruel if we got Ultimate Edition-style releases for the other films. That approach is anything but comprehensive, especially in cases like these films, where many cues end up butchered beyond recognition or omitted entirely. I mean, sure, it's better than nothing, but make no mistake - if they did this sort of album for TFA, we'd still be missing a lot of music. The score is a mess in the film, not to mention all the rescored material.

I agree and that's actually what I was trying to say. It would just be nice to have all of the known tracks and perhaps bonus tracks of film versions or concert suites, etc. However we word it, I think the consensus is that we want a "complete score" of TFA. And butchered is definitely a good word to describe what happens in the editing booth. There are some songs that are barely 3 minutes long that have 3 different songs spliced together to "make it fit." That's crazy.

1 minute ago, User897 said:

There are some songs that are barely 3 minutes long that have 3 different songs spliced together to "make it fit." That's crazy.

Please, film music is not "songs".  You're talking about a TRACK containing multiple CUES.

8 hours ago, Jay said:

Please, film music is not "songs".  You're talking about a TRACK containing multiple CUES.

He can call cues whatever he wants, you know what he meant. It's this kind of snobby behaviour that pushes people away from these forums.

3 hours ago, Docteur Qui said:

He can call cues whatever he wants, you know what he meant. It's this kind of snobby behaviour that pushes people away from these forums.

It is not snobbish, he was just helping by stating the correct terminology. A song has a specific definition, and the vast majority of film music does not fall under that definition. And I think it is important to use the correct terminology in a film music discussion, otherwise there's potential for miscommunication. If I owned a truck, and somebody kept saying it's a "car", I would correct them too. ;)

Songs hehe, that reminds me, any time people ask what I do and I say I'm a composer, I always get "Oh I love to sing"..... O.o ..... That's Lovely Dear......

On 5/9/2016 at 5:36 PM, Docteur Qui said:

True, but it's not much different from nitpicking about left and right channels being reversed.