Alexandre Desplat's Valerian and The City of a Thousand Planets

antovolk

I predict this score will find favour with many after the year is over. It's not brilliant by any long shot but there's more than meets the ear and while the themes are slender, they are there and woven in with great care. Desplat writes around upfront pop songs (like the Bowie) so that may have to do with it seeming a bit disorganized.

Having listened to the album a few times (in the digital release track order, for what it's worth), I'm rather enjoying it, yet I imagine I would have been a bit disappointed if his planned Rogue One effort had turned out something like this.

I haven't seen the film yet, so it's probably not a fair comparison, but nothing on the album grabs me as much as the Godzilla opening titles did when I first heard/watched them.

The strings from 0:26 to 0:46 in Spaceship Chase sound like almost a direct quotation of Stravinsky's The Rite of Spring.

A little disappointed that this score is, presumably, so different from what Desplat wrote for Rogue One, since I wanted to get a sense of what his rejected score had sounded like. (But if the RO score actually did sound like this, I could see why it was rejected! :lol:) Oh well. Maybe sheet music will leak someday and we can get mockups. 

I listened to my physical CD in the car this morning.  Really liked the first 10 tracks.  I have a feeling the ride home tonight won't be as exciting.

Captain Underpants, Spider-man Homecoming, War For The Planet  of the Apes, and maybe Colossal (?) are good sci-fi/fantasy scores released this year

He's just playful blasé about it all.

Just now, Jay said:

Captain Underpants, Spider-man Homecoming, War For The Planet  of the Apes, and maybe Colossal (?) are good sci-fi/fantasy scores released this year

Mhh...no. 'War' has some noteworthy parts, the rest was just white noise to me (and i tried this stuff on Spotify).

I'm just coming back from seing valerian in Dolby Atmos. And it was fun. Not the movie of the year but somehow I will remember more about Valerian in 6 month than I remember about Dunkirk that I saw 3 days ago… (And I liked Dunkirk, as a cinematic experience)

About the movie :

Spoiler

- Visually it's like a mix of Avatar, Star wars + 5th element, etc. It is richer and more detailed than any current blockbuster I think.

- It's original and at the same time there are clear inspirations that made me laugh. 

- Cool 3D with depth and actual light! (As with avatar, 3/4 of the shots are in CGI so it helps for the depth).

- Surprise, the mix in atmos was cool with some good ideas!

- Scenario too simple and predictable unfortunately but somehow it works.

- The very beginning of the film is weird, did not like it.

- I found the end a bit rushed

- The rythme of the film would have benefited from 10 minutes less

- Actors are OK. I think sometimes the scenario does not help the actors. Some characters are cliché.

About the score :

Spoiler

- Desplat's work is really nice and it works pretty well with the picture.
- Valerian theme and Pearls theme have a prominent place throughout the film. The mix and the fact that they are heavilly used really helps to remember them. I did not listen that much the OST before going to the cinema so it's cool.

- There are 3 to 4 scenes were the score really shines and is mixed way louder than the sound fx.
- The rest is OK. Action writing is cool, verry Desplat.
- The movie starts with a song… it ruined the begining of the movie to me. Plus the transition to Valerian logo with Desplat's music was odd…
- The end credit starts…WITH A SONG… was disapointed by that…
- I did not notice much of the other songs, they must be well integrated

12 hours ago, BloodBoal said:

No need to use spoiler tags if there are no actual spoilers in your comments. ;)

Doing so prevent anyone from being upset if they think these qualify as spoilers. And it does not bother me :) 

12 hours ago, Jay said:

You must tell us the chronological  order of the  score tracks! 

I have yet to do a proper listen of the soundtrack :)

I finished my car listen.  

This is a score I like... when I'm listening to it.

What I mean is, in between listens, I barely remember a thing about the dam score.  But while I'm listening, I really enjoy the ride!

I think seeing the film will help.

The only thing I didn't like about the CD is how it starts with Pearls on Mul.  Terrible opening track!  Big Market is the perfect opening track.

I'm so glad they dedicated one disc to score and one to songs.  I haven't even taken the second disc out of the holder yet.

4 minutes ago, BloodBoal said:

I don't need no stinkin' croc standing by me!

Anyway, I don't mind being the only one correct. I'm used to it.

But hey, did Marty ever post his thoughts on the score? He was another one anxiously awaiting for that score, and I don't remember him saying anything about it. Did he not receive his CD?

Still not up on Apple Music. It might be up tomorrow if not I'm going into town on Saturday so I'll check Tower when I'm in.

film isn't getting a release until the 4th of August over here so it might not be out until tomorrow week. 

4 minutes ago, Disco Stu said:

All he really cares about is giving Gia/R1 the finger so he'll probably say it's a masterpiece

Nah, if it's crap I'll say it crap... but still better than Gia!!

i honestly don't mind Gia or the RO score that much, I just love how much it pisses certain people off!

2 hours ago, Jay said:

The only thing I didn't like about the CD is how it starts with Pearls on Mul.

Well, this is the first Desplat's track chronologically in the movie if I recall. So it makes sense.

On 7/25/2017 at 6:26 PM, Jay said:

You must tell us the chronological  order of the  score tracks! 

17 hours ago, Jay said:

I finished my car listen.  

This is a score I like... when I'm listening to it.

What I mean is, in between listens, I barely remember a thing about the dam score.  But while I'm listening, I really enjoy the ride!

I think seeing the film will help.

I'm the same. Obviously I've deleted non-score tracks and listen to the presentation remaining, though it doesn't have much development or order, the 'sound' throughout is engaging, the instrumentation interesting and the action/travel music is great. Makes me want to see the film (but I probably won't pay for it, I just saw Planet of the Apes and Dunkirk on the same day!).

5 hours ago, BloodBoal said:

the only unreleased bit I did notice was a short Valerian theme statement over the title card that plays right before Pearls On Mül

5 hours ago, crocodile said:

Pearls of Mul is the first cue heard in the film then?

This still sucks to my ears. What a plasticky recording too. Sounds like all the orchestra is playing all at the same time but then muffled into a latex pillow. 

I think the sound quality is fine. But yeah, the synths cheapen it considerably. And also the big blockbuster percussion. I know he had a massive drums on Godzilla but in that score it was entirely appropriate.

Karol