James Newton Howard's Fantastic Beasts And Where To Find Them

leeallen01

11 hours ago, igger6 said:

The statement in the cue title is addressed to Tina, so there should be a comma before her name to separate her grammatically from the rest of the sentence, since she's the addressee, not a part of the action.  Unless, of course, I'm wrong, and Tina-ing is something you can do in the 1920s Wizarding World, in which case that cue is about somebody telling somebody who's in the process of Tina-ing that somebody else is listening to him as he Tinas.  (Just like, "He's listening to you sing," or "He's listening to you snore.")

Sorry, this is my job. B-)

They could've just left it as 'He's Listening To You'. Gives it more of an air of mystery.

For me, Snow White and Hunger Games are taken down a peg by a period of very boring action/dramatic music. There are some great moments within those scores, but I can't help be disappointed that the directors wanted that sort of action material.

My one last hope for this franchise: never, ever let Zimmer near it.

The film wasn't temp scored. JNH wrote and sent very early demos in, which were used for temp during the film's editing process.

JNH - "One of the things David wanted when we first talked, was a composer who would come onto the film early, and in his words, be “part of the architecture of the movie.” Someone to provide music early on in demo form, that they could use while the film is being edited, which is a really effective tool to have so you’re not covering the movie by borrowing music from others, while you’re editing the movie."

Also JNH said he wants to score all 5 films and that it has been discussed already - 

Interviewer: "Now that you have done the first film, are you interested in seeing it through for the next four?"

JNH: "David and I have talked about it. I’m certainly doing the next one, he’s asked me to do it. We had a pretty incredible time together on this one, so I will certainly be doing that one. Beyond that, who knows? I would like to think that I would do all of them and that I would be asked back, but who knows what happens that far in advance."

Here's the full interview -

http://www.forbes.com/sites/hughmcintyre/2016/11/17/james-newton-howard-talks-scoring-fantastic-beasts-and-entering-the-wizarding-world/#4d8dc1ba26f7 

Thanks for the analysis, @PrayodiBA!

So could you (or anyone else who's seen it) clarify what the magical "Tina Takes Newt In/MACUSA" theme is? Is it just a broad "magic" theme?

Also what's this at 1:42-end? Also featured in "Inside the Case" and "Relieve Him of His Wand etc." I think we all assumed it was a theme for Newt, is that right?

1 hour ago, PrayodiBA said:

Now that i've seen the movie, i can clearly identify each theme

The movie itself, is nothing special, just ordinary, and frankly quite disappointing for something of a franchise-Beginning. No great chemistry or feeling created, albeit great acting from redmayne, waterston, and fogler. And Johnny Depp is, i think, hugely misplaced and miscast, because you just got that one big distraction and you cant take Depp seriously no more. When he appears, i say " look, that pale guy from dark shadows, or is it Edward Scissorhand, or is it Sweeney Tood, or Mad Hatter". But No denying, by getting Depp, whatever the criticsm, including myself, will bring some "bigness" and huge curiosity for the movie.

And unfortunately, my theatre, or just the mixing as a whole, just buried the score, below the dialogue or sfx, especially the "Entering MACUSA" scene, but still the music does stand out in a lot of occasions, (Especially the final Thunderbird scene).

And then for the theme, some new thing i found out

Grindelwald Theme

-Heard in the beginning of Main Title track ( at 00:19-00:41 (The Fantastic Beast Logo), and then to 1:40 (The Film Version is a bit longer to accompany the newspaper reel))

-Heard in The BillyWig bonus track

-Heard in The Demiguise And The Lollipop bonus track

The "Umbrella" Theme

-Last 2 minute of A Man and His Beast is a great jazz rendition

-Nice variations of this theme are in the film ,not included in the soundtrack

The Thunderbird Theme

-Heard at 00:00-00:22 of Inside The Case track

-Heard at 3:22 - 3:37 of track Relive him of his wand bla bla bla

Of Course, the great Newt Heroic Theme

-Heard in Tina And Newt Trial at 5:32 - 6:07  (Nicely mixed on the film)

-Heard in Gnarlack track at 2:38 till end

-Heard in The Demiguise and The Occamy at 2:41 - 2:58 (This is poorly mixed though)

-And of course the end titles, feels good to hear it with its entirety, alongside the first credit

Kowalski Theme

-Really beautiful suite of it in Kowalkski Rag, just great track. But somehow it reminds me of The Hanging Tree, the arrangement dont know

The "Forget, Let Go And Mend " theme (That's what i'd like to call, you get it when you see it)

-Heard epicly, majestically, and perfectly mixed too, in the Relieve of his wand track starting at 5:04 (it really fits the scene, great job JNH)
-Can also be heard in track Close Friend, and also beautifully used in track Newt Says Goodbye To Tina

Love Theme of Queenie and Jacob

-11:39-11:54 in Relieve of His wand track

-2:58 till the end in Newt Says goodbyeto Tina track

...and really a lot of unreleased cue here and there

Two suites,a man and his beasts and kowalski rag, are really greattt

And Warning To Deluxe Edition: Track Soup and leaflets. im not your ma, and newt talks to credence are pure background music ala hunger games.

---------------

BTW it's already Nov 18 here in Indonesia, so the deluxe is now available in Spotify

JNH said there are two main themes - the two themes that he wrote first. He called one Newt's theme and one as an overarching franchise theme to define the concept of the franchise.

So is the Grindelwald theme the second main theme of the franchise?

My impression was the Elfman-esque "Tina Takes Newt In/MACUSA Headquarters" theme was the overarching franchise theme and the second half of the "Main Title" track was Newt's theme. But haven't seen the film so not sure.

The score works really well in the movie with themes  and motifs being more present. It has this old shool treatment and that's great. Of course, there are some generic actions pieces but it's ok. I woul've liked the music to be louder but it's just my taste. In general I felt the score had a really "magic" feeling to it.

About the film :

Spoiler

About the film itself. It serves its purpose as a begening of new story. For me it was better than 3/4 of the harry potter movies. I did found some rythm problemes throughout the film but it was not so probematic. It felt like the first half was about presenting us the beasts and then the main storyline takes up and resolves itself pretty quickly.

About the CGI they are really OK, it's not bad at all. All the sequences in the suitcases have a purposely "fake" feelling and it looks nice. The beasts looks great also. I do have some complaints over the simple monochromatic and boring effect every spells have when they're thrown out of a wand. And can someone please tell the actors to control and use there wand in a more cool/cinematic/operatic way. It's way too boring (I want HP5 style fights). Also, half of the action scenes are at night or are indeed desaturated giving it an impersonal look. It's not suprising given Yates habit. But It's surprising given the rest of the movie is really colorful sometimes ! 

Score : really nice and let room for some tremendously cool developement
Movie : Enjoyable

The three most used themes are Newt, Tina  takes Newt in MACUSA, and another "darkness" theme (don't want to give anything away about the plot) which sounds like Saw by Charlie Clouser :P

The use of Hedwig's theme was nice but it felt sometimes nostalgic and anything else magic would have fit in too.

EDIT : 100th post here :)

PrayodiBA skipped two themes in his analysis, which seem to be the two main themes of the score. But I don't know why he neglected to mention them if that's the case.

What I gather is that the second half of the "Main Titles" is properly Newt's Theme, and then there's also a "hero/action theme" for Newt which was mentioned in the analysis. And then the "Tina Takes Newt In/MACUSA Headquarters" theme would be an overarching magical theme.

Does that sound right, PrayodiBA/toothless?

To me,

Tina takes newt In MACUSA is reused throughout the film several times. At least enough to be spotted !
Second half of Main theme is Newt theme indeed but I think it' Newt "Adventure" or "journey" theme. At the same time the Newt heroic theme as mentioned by PrayodiBA is more of an epic theme. Also I don't think that the first part of main theme is Grindelwald theme. It's more of an epic fanfare for the franchise, to me.

I may have to re watch the film again (probably on saturday) to focus more on the music.

I'm seeing it tomorrow night so if nobody is seeing it again before then give me questions before tomorrow night and I'll try and answer them. 

52 minutes ago, BloodBoal said:

- Does the OST offer a good representation of what the complete score has to offer?

- How many minutes of unreleased music are there exactly (be precise, please. I hate estimates)?

- Is this unreleased music awesome or is it not worth craving for?

- Could Djiatchino have written a better score for the film?

- Could Desplat have written a better score for the film?

- How are you today?

The answer to one of those questions is Yes. You know which one.

12 minutes ago, BloodBoal said:

- How many minutes of music heard on the OST are unused in the film?

- How does the complete score compare to the other previous Potter scores?

- How would you rank the complete score compared to the upcoming 4 others?

- What is the last film you watched?

The answer to the last one is Sicario. 

I adore the main theme. It's seductively brilliant. It fits so perfectly in this world. I hope it's prolific in the film. 

Also one of my favourite whimsical themes is the one at 2:04 and 3:24 and 5:28. Lovely.

I can't bloody wait for my Bonus score to arrive to hear more!

2 hours ago, mrbellamy said:

PrayodiBA skipped two themes in his analysis, which seem to be the two main themes of the score. But I don't know why he neglected to mention them if that's the case.

What I gather is that the second half of the "Main Titles" is properly Newt's Theme, and then there's also a "hero/action theme" for Newt which was mentioned in the analysis. And then the "Tina Takes Newt In/MACUSA Headquarters" theme would be an overarching magical theme.

Does that sound right, PrayodiBA/toothless?

I skipedd that because everybody already knew that for this past week. I only gather the ones that are new and to confirm the identity of the themes.

Based on that 22 minutes JNH interview, eraly on, he wrote two themes, one for Newt and one that defines the franchise ( that he'd like to call as an "umbrella theme", the groundwork of them all). So yeah that's basically right.

So based on the context in the movie, the full identity of themes:

Franchise Theme (that "tina takes newt in" theme, and still, not used quite often in the movie)

Newt Theme (Second half of the main title track, used first to reveal Newt when he comes to New York)

Newt Heroic Theme 

Kowalski Theme ( although there is a clear statement of it in the suite Kowalksi Rag, the one that's used much more frequent in the movie is that jazz motif at the last minute of track Newt Says Goodbye to Tina/Jacob's Bakery)

"Forget, Let Go and Mend" Theme

Credence Theme (Heard first in track Credence hands on leaflets)

Obscorial/Obscurus Theme/Motif (one of the main dark force/magic/antagonist of this movie, used quite often when It/he/she appear)

Queenie and Jacob Love Theme

Grindelwald Theme/Motif, for now ( although it is used first when that guy appears, it is also used to accompany some other magical context(like in the bonus track Demiguise and the lollipop) , so that's bit confusing)

Thunderbird Theme

It's definitely a song.

Woah, End Credits Pt. 2 has a brief but really bold rendition of the main theme. Full orchestra and choir belting out the A-section.

Tracks 3 and 4 start with a passage similar to the opening titles (after the Hedwig quote). Pretty good.

Track 7 definitely has some Lady in the Water temping going on.

Not an amazing second CD I think, better on a second listen! I'm happy I paid the extra few £s to get it.

I wonder if Yates temped the film with the reel JNH sent him? Might've shot himself in the foot if that's the case.

A test will be if one of JNH's main themes becomes known as THE franchise theme and in the next film they don't even have to use Williams over the logo and more importantly not in the trailer. That's when you would know his themes have stuck.

I could see them using "Tina Takes Newt In/MACUSA Headquarters" and the "Newt Releases the Thunderbird" finale in the sequel trailers, especially if the latter is as well-used as people say. Plus that one was already featured in a TV spot.

It would be interesting to see if at any point they drop "Hedwig's Theme" entirely from marketing and/or the films themselves.

Oh and once again, anybody recognize this from the score?

Good news, everyone: the bonus cd has three some really good concert-like reworkings of the themes ('A Man and his Beasts', 'End Titles Part 2' and 'Kowalski Rag') that would have made the original album (one really good album vs. the overlong muddy we got). Also take note how that bad temptrack steal from 'Polar Express' never turns up anywhere in these cues:

Yep, just listened to all the bonus tracks. I'd say "A Man and His Beasts" and "Kowalski Rag" are two nearly A+ pieces hampered by slightly meandering/episodic structures and abrupt endings. Wish they had more cohesive dramatic flair from beginning to end but they are both tons of fun and filled with great variations. These are two thoroughly enjoyable and versatile melodies and he puts them through the ringer in ways not heard in this franchise since Doyle's various spins on the "Harry in Winter" theme throughout his GOF score, and definitely not in self-contained pieces like this since Williams. Love the Prokofiev-esque "Montagues and Capulets" take on the Kowalski Rag!

Some nice stuff in the rest of the tracks too (that "Blind Pig" song is a pretty amusing 90 seconds, goofy JK Rowling lyrics and fun vocal performance!). Overall this score hasn't quite blown apart my expectations but it's certainly met them and happily gone beyond a few times, and I can say this is exactly the kind of stuff I felt was missing or not as successful in the last four Potter scores. I'm really looking forward to hearing this in the film. Musically this feels back on the right track to me and it's a relief to have JNH around for this universe, to see how excited he is about doing it and to know he'll be returning.

Blind Pig is something I'll be skipping I think. 

Not I see Fire levels of bad or anything. Just really annoying. 

Only listening to disc 2 for the first time but I've only recently woken up.