Why Post-Millennial Movies Are So Awful

A24

Thanks, Richard. Yes, it is quite long. In fact, I still need to finish it!

Did he mention that the success and enormous focus on superhero movies might be another reason?

Wanted to stop watching when he complimented his own personal use of CGI in his own films and how it's so much better than everyone else. But then the score bit came on, and I really stopped watching when he said he can't tell Danny Elfman scores apart. 

Pretentious hack!

3 hours ago, Koray Savas said:

But then the score bit came on, and I really stopped watching when he said he can't tell Danny Elfman scores apart. 

Films were meant to be in black and white, with a melodramatic score, starring glamouous women and tall manly men under studio contract, and directed by the producer in a conveyor belt production run. That's how you made movies.

10 minutes ago, Sally Spectra said:

Films were meant to be in black and white, with a melodramatic score, starring glamouous women and tall manly men under studio contract, and directed by the producer in a conveyor belt production run. That's how you made movies.

Blame Olivia de Havilland!  Her lawsuit against Warner Bros is the official "beginning of the end" of the old Hollywood Dream Factory.

I don't particularly feel like watching this guy whinge, so I'll just ask: does he mean post-millennial as in after 2000 or as in the generation of people born in the 80s-early 90s?  Because we're only just starting to see movies made by the generation.  Justin Hurwitz winning the Oscar at the tender age of 32 might signal the arrival of millennials as creative drivers in the industry.

He isn't talking of people but generally about movies made in this century. Incanus says he doesn't give any examples but that's not true at all. Koray says he's pretentious and that's not true either. To me it's like someone is finally telling the truth about today's cinema. It feels good that I'm not alone with my feelings.

I'm not sure but I think he's talking mostly about Hollywood, yes. After all, 99% of what's playing in the theatre is Hollywood. 

He also says it's merely how he feels. If you happen to like the current state of film then ... great!

I've watched this while doing some ironing today. He makes some good points here and there but, quite frankly, it comes off as a bit of a "dad's whinging life lesson". Some of it seems to be true, some of it is just painful to listen to. Too much recycling of "Kubrick, Lynch and Tarantino" are the masters of everything bullcrap. It's cliche and not a very interesting to bring up anymore. His comments on political propaganda, marketing etc are spot on though.

Yeah, there are a lot of bad movies being made today. But then, there are a lot of movies being made. Full stop. I'm pretty sure the cinephiles of Golden Age era were just as critical of the 1980's stuff most of our generations seems to like so much. And everyone seems to focus on the same things all over again as if there are no films being made outside of Hollywood.

Karol

44 minutes ago, crocodile said:

But then, there are a lot of movies being made. Full stop.

And his critique applies to most of those movies. One of his points is the amount and speed in which movies are being made.

He brings up many points that ring true to me and you're trying to wave them away with "Oh, that Kubrick, Lynch and Tarantino thing again". It's like you didn't really listen. It's certainly not what I have taken away from the video. Perhaps in the back of your mind you were constantly thinking "But what about Nolan then? He's post-millennial! Why is he attacking my era?"

I don't know about the bought reviews, though. He does say he can't prove that.

Is this a "they don't make them like they used to" moan in video form? Maybe it's up my alley.

I've heard of Ager before, can't for the life of me remember why though.

I take it this is worthless to watch.

Is there a point on the abandonement of traditional animation in American features? There are some that I've liked the way they are and look (Zootopia, Big Hero 6), but usually, meh

I haven't watched the clip, but I have read Ricard's breakdown.

It seems that the poster forgot to mention one thing: misdirection, and guilt, following-on from post 9/11 paranoia.

The world (especially the USA) desperately wanted someone to blame. It wanted revenge, and that vengeance was not quenched by the killing of some puppet terrorist, named Osama Bin Laden (who, like some silly fucking Oswald, had no idea how to carry out what happened on that day in early September).

Still, the world wanted more, digged deep into its psyche, and started to create "entertainment" with which to purge itself of its feelings. It's a sort of self-created Ludovico Technique, an extreme type of flooding. The images of mass destruction do not even register anymore. The viewer is so detached from what's happening on screen, that he/she gives no thought to the human tragedy that unfolds before them. All they see - all they want to see - is bigger, and better explosions, and more and more chaos, and more and more fights, and more and more death. Result? Cultural anaesthesia. One might as well take Diazepam before going to the cinema...it will have the same effect, and will cost you less money.

Until the world learns to turn its anger on those who truly deserve it (the perpetrators of lies, falsehoods and repression) cinema will continue to rot. 

Directors leaving things vague for the interpretation of the audience. I shouldn't have to figure out what's happening in a moving picture. It doesn't make me feel better to decipher things or find hidden meaning behind things. I think Lynch is best at this phenomenon because it doesn't matter in the end and he doesn't care. Other directors like to vague everything up now, seemingly to go viral. But it's nothing worth even giving a shit about.

12 hours ago, Evil-Lyn said:

Directors leaving things vague for the interpretation of the audience. I shouldn't have to figure out what's happening in a moving picture. It doesn't make me feel better to decipher things or find hidden meaning behind things. I think Lynch is best at this phenomenon because it doesn't matter in the end and he doesn't care. Other directors like to vague everything up now, seemingly to go viral. But it's nothing worth even giving a shit about.

That's the one point I didn't agree with. Ager says: "We don't need to find out what it means. We are not the artists. Don't make us explain your movie ..."  I probably don't get what he's referring to because Ager loves to dig for deeper layers in movies. You should watch his video about Silence Of The Lambs. If we  believe Ager, we even haven't scratched the surface of that one.

Alex

18 hours ago, Richard said:

I haven't watched the clip, but I have read Ricard's breakdown.

It seems that the poster forgot to mention one thing: misdirection, and guilt, following-on from post 9/11 paranoia.

The world (especially the USA) desperately wanted someone to blame. It wanted revenge, and that vengeance was not quenched by the killing of some puppet terrorist, named Osama Bin Laden (who, like some silly fucking Oswald, had no idea how to carry out what happened on that day in early September).

Still, the world wanted more, digged deep into its psyche, and started to create "entertainment" with which to purge itself of its feelings. It's a sort of self-created Ludovico Technique, an extreme type of flooding. The images of mass destruction do not even register anymore. The viewer is so detached from what's happening on screen, that he/she gives no thought to the human tragedy that unfolds before them. All they see - all they want to see - is bigger, and better explosions, and more and more chaos, and more and more fights, and more and more death. Result? Cultural anaesthesia. One might as well take Diazepam before going to the cinema...it will have the same effect, and will cost you less money.

Until the world learns to turn its anger on those who truly deserve it (the perpetrators of lies, falsehoods and repression) cinema will continue to rot. 

I don't really agree with your theory but I follow your gist and it was a great post nonetheless.

The use of pop songs in movies bothers me. I'm not sure if he mentioned that. It's not just the excessive use of snippets of pop songs, but the trend of "ironic" awkward use of songs, such as what Snyder did in Watchmen. It just comes off as pretentious and annoying. We want film scores, not bizarre uncomfortable songs.

15 hours ago, Evil-Lyn said:

... but the trend of "ironic" awkward use of songs, such as what Snyder did in Watchmen. It just comes off as pretentious and annoying. 

No, it didn't! In fact, many call the 'Times Are a Changing' scene Snyder's most beautiful moment.

15 hours ago, Evil-Lyn said:

We want film scores, not bizarre uncomfortable songs.

The usage of iconic songs is often way more interesting than just another bland, interchangeable score.