Star Wars '77 OST program gets Deluxe 3LP edition from Disney Records on December 1

igger6

• Replies 134
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

You're only half correct.  The first half has never been released, but the second half was on the original OST album and the 1993 anthology, like I said above.

BTW, you need an avatar man!

7 hours ago, Brundlefly said:

Mynock Cave was on the ESB (?)double album(?)?

Yes, on the original program of the OST, it's mixed a the end of the Main Theme. I don't remember if it's complete, but it's mixed... and it works!

That's maybe why they made an error when releasing the Anthology boxset... they restored the true main theme, but completely forgot to add Mynock Cave in the set list!

Fortunately, Mynock Cave reappeared at last on the SE album, this time at the end of with "Jedi Master Revealed".

@Bespin: They didnt forget to include the Mynock music in the Arista set as Lukas Kendall explained in his FSM article back then. They had planned to include it on Disc 5 which later got aborted.

On 09/11/2017 at 9:17 PM, azahid said:

@Bespin: They didnt forget to include the Mynock music in the Arista set as Lukas Kendall explained in his FSM article back then. They had planned to include it on Disc 5 which later got aborted.

I don't care about the story, the result is here. No Mynock cave cue on the Anthology boxset! :P

On 08/11/2017 at 3:19 PM, Bespin said:

Dear Disney,

Each time the original 1977 Star Wars Theme (with the VERY bad edit) is released, a kitten dies.

(The program of the OST have to be "reconstructed" from the original source material)

Thanks,

- Bespin

I did that already.

2 minutes ago, phbart said:

The Anthology version are not the correct performances heard in the film version.

The original "Star Wars" Theme on record is a montage, we really don't care that it is or not the version heard in the movie, it's not the goal  The version of the movie was released, I think, on the SE Edition. We talk about two very different things.

No, it's not that. It's just that I thought we, for the most part, stood by the correct performances, be it a single take or a version stitched from various takes, intended by the composer to be heard in the final presentation other than a raw or an incorrect takes selection presented as a whole.

8 hours ago, The Doctor said:

No one noticed for decades that takes on the earlier E.T. CDs were different from the film takes.

No one? You're underestimating it. People weren't so vocal about it as they were on 93 SW Anthology, but they noticed it alright.

@phbart If we talk about the Star Wars Theme only, It's true I never compared the version on the OST with the one they "reconstructed" on the Anthology boxset (where I know, some alt takes where used by error) I just noticed that the Edit is so better in the later version, it pleased me a lot. It's still a montage, since we all know that this version of the "theme" was never recorded as it is by John Williams in the SW 77 recording sessions.

Specifically about this montage, you seems to say they reconstructed the Theme, without using the same Theme/End credits versions heard on the OST? 

The SW 77 Main Title cue was recorded in five takes, which are labeled as 16, 17, 18, 19 and 20. The final version, as presented on both the 77 OST and 97 SE, is comprised of takes 18, 19 and 20. The Anthology simply used the entire take 19 on disc 1, while take 20 was used on disc 4. Because of time constraints, they couldn't create the correct perfomances for each cue, and simply used entire takes for everything. That was rectified on the 97 SE, where the correct takes were utilized to create the correct versions of each cue as intended by JW.

Now, on the 77 OST, after the Main Title, they added the End Credits as sort of "prologue". If you want, I can do one with the correct part of the End Credits inserted after the Main Title to create the original 77 OST presentation of it. The 2005 "Musical Journey" that came with the Ep3 OST CD has that in 48kHz/24bit.

Now, back to the my "reconstructed" Main Title... I never really liked the sound quality of the 77 OST and the 97 SE. On the end of track 13 of the 97 SE (Binary Sunset alternate) there are the complete recording sessions of the Main Title, all 5 takes. By listening to it, I noticed the sound quality was much better than the one presented on track 2. So, after exaustive listening, I was able to determine which takes were used at each section (as I laid out on the thread I linked above) and did a correct final version myself. So that's what it is. A correct performance of the Main Title utilizing a source of superior quality.

Thanks, so the real original Star Wars digitally "reconstructed" Theme as yet to be released on disc. Another challenge for Mike Matessino! ;-)

3 hours ago, Bespin said:

Thanks, so the real original Star Wars digitally "reconstructed" Theme as yet to be released on disc. Another challenge for Mike Matessino! ;-)

If, by "Theme", you mean track 1 of the 77 OST, then yes, it was never officialy putted together digitally in an accurate way. If the producers of the 93 Anthology had more time to finish the project, I'm sure we'd have a very nice sounding and accurate presentation of the "Theme".

10 hours ago, Bespin said:

@phbart If we talk about the Star Wars Theme only, It's true I never compared the version on the OST with the one they "reconstructed" on the Anthology boxset (where I know, some alt takes where used by error) I just noticed that the Edit is so better in the later version, it pleased me a lot. It's still a montage, since we all know that this version of the "theme" was never recorded as it is by John Williams in the SW 77 recording sessions.

Specifically about this montage, you seems to say they reconstructed the Theme, without using the same Theme/End credits versions heard on the OST? 

Do you know the awful edit of the Gremlins OST that connects 10 relinquishable seconds of one cue with another that is much louder. The edit is so awfully done and connecting those cues makes absolutely zero sense. I don't know the old Star Wars edit, but it can't be worse.

Most Star Wars fans don't care about original edits. 

I still can't tell any difference between the Main Title tracks from the seven films. They all sound the same to me. 

27 minutes ago, Demodex said:

That's because they're Star Wars fans and not necessarily John Williams fans, or even film score fans.

So I went back to the old thread about The Ultimate Collection (and, among other good reading, found my “mini review” of the set. For those curious, it can be found here.)

I mentioned the original edit as being “a blast” but I’ve since forgotten it was on there. I think it’s safe to say I’ve not listened to it since. Sad... However! Now I’ve got reason to search it out again and check out those clunky, analog edits. :P

On 14/11/2017 at 11:19 AM, Demodex said:

I still can't tell any difference between the Main Title tracks from the seven films. They all sound the same to me. 

Surely you can tell the weak as piss TFA main titles from the rest? It sounds as if it was played by half an orchestra .

I wonder if TFA's sound could be improved with a completely different mastering or if the root problem is the way it was recorded?

I've always wondered what happend here at 5:34:

A horn enters the right channel completely out of the blue to play along with the main melody played by the strings, at the most random point possible. It may have been playing low before, but at that moment becomes extremely prominent for some reason. Is this another case of mashing together different takes or just a weird orchestration choice?

Damn, it's even worse on the Anthology! I knew I remembered correctly!

This is a medley from different sources, but I checked and this is taken from the Anthology.

The OST version is about the same as the SE, a lot less jarring, but still it enters at least one note after it would make sense.

On both these versions, you can hear the horn earlier and in the other channel than the SE in the most logical place: where the B part starts. I just can't comprehend why it would suddenly become so prominent at such a random place.

It's all just a huge bloody mess. We really need a complete redo from scratch from the best original sources possible.

https://www.amazon.com/Star-Wars-Hope-Death-Hologram/dp/B07685195W/ref=pd_ybh_a_27?_encoding=UTF8&psc=1&refRID=REX46R6DGATNANNHAS6A&pldnSite=1#featureBulletsAndDetailBullets_secondary_view_div_1511021756193

Tracklist:

Disc: 1

1. Main Title (London Symphony Orchestra)
  2. Imperial Attack (London Symphony Orchestra)
  3. Princess Leia's Theme (London Symphony Orchestra)
  4. The Desert and the Robot Auction (London Symphony Orchestra)
  5. Ben's Death and TIE Fighter Attack (London Symphony Orchestra)
  6. The Little People Work (London Symphony Orchestra)
  7. Rescue of the Princess (London Symphony Orchestra)
  8. Inner City (London Symphony Orchestra)
  9. Cantina Band (London Symphony Orchestra)

Disc: 2

1. The Land of the Sand People (London Symphony Orchestra)
  2. Mouse Robot and Blasting Off (London Symphony Orchestra)
  3. The Return Home (London Symphony Orchestra)
  4. The Walls Converge (London Symphony Orchestra)
  5. The Princess Appears (London Symphony Orchestra)
  6. The Last Battle (London Symphony Orchestra)
  7. The Throne Room and End Title (London Symphony Orchestra)

Disc: 3

1. The Last Battle (London Symphony Orchestra)

What's the point of disc 3?

6 minutes ago, Stefancos said:

Besp, how will you catagorize this?

I'm puzzled.

Is there an alternate cue of this track we don't know?

Is it a Concert version we don't know?

Is it a version sung by Carrie Fisher?

Résultats de recherche d'images pour « obi wan kenobi help me »