Star Wars '77 OST program gets Deluxe 3LP edition from Disney Records on December 1

igger6

• Replies 134
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Zzz...

The last time I bought a SW original trilogy album was around 1998 (or was it 1999?). Guess that won't be changing anytime soon.

I meant "new releases", of course. Got myself a copy of Anthology a couple years ago. But that one is worth getting for sound quality at least.

The fact they keep repackaging the same thing all over again is getting really embarrassing. I mean...it's been 20 years since the last time...

Karol

7 hours ago, crocodile said:

Zzz...

The last time I bought a SW original trilogy album was around 1998 (or was it 1999?). Guess that won't be changing anytime soon.

I meant "new releases", of course. Got myself a copy of Anthology a couple years ago. But that one is worth getting for sound quality at least.

The fact they keep repackaging the same thing all over again is getting really embarrassing. I mean...it's been 20 years since the last time...

Karol

Ditto. And yes this repackaging is getting really tiring. We need Matessino again to re-do these classics from improved sources if possible and the complete Prequel releases.

Why waste time on LPs when they could be producing shiny complete score CDs for the OT and the Prequels. But I guess they can milk yet another few bucks from the LP craze burning brightly.

What I know about Amazon is that they hate customers and actively don't want them to know exactly what they're buying. The listings often have no descriptions about what the packaging is like or which edition this is supposed to be, reviews are poured together into one pool for every version, with no option to separate them based on what you want... So I clicked on the 10.07 Euro Vinly flavour of this supposed SW77 vinly coming out on the 10th, aaaand it's a John Miles Decca SP. 

https://www.amazon.de/Music-John-Miles/dp/B000TD2LZA/ref=tmm_vnl_swatch_0?_encoding=UTF8&qid=1506175641&sr=1-4

On a site where the Homeward Bound intrada release is listed as the same product but different edition as the Scottish Royal Orchestra's folk song album Homeward Bound, and where a version of the Alien quadrilogy 9 dvd boxset is the 1 disc edition of the first movie that is still listed as Alien boxset and has the same cover picture - this means absolutely nothing. We'll just have to wait for the 10th.

10 hours ago, crocodile said:

Zzz...

Karol

I believe this is gonna be the 1977 OST assembly, not the 1997 SE (I think the master rights of the SE died when Sony's license expired at the beginning of this year). 

Matessino made it pretty clear in the interview with Jay: Disney has retained all the rights and hit the reset button on all Star Wars music releases. Right now the easiest and most logical thing is to release lavish vinyl products like this one, if only to fill the market with at least something (I agree though that they could make an effort to release the OT OST assemblies on CD as well). Restoring and rebuilding from the ground all the elements for the whole saga is something that require a lot of time, money and work.

Just have some patience, guys. I'm sure everything will be addressed in the right way by the right people when time is due. In the meantime, let's enjoy the upcoming brand new Star Wars score by JW, which isn't something too shabby ;) 

You have logically assessed the situation TownerFan. It appears to be the OST vinyl only and because of the special laser etching the 3rd LP has been made, it seems.

It may be pointless for JWfans and the soundtrack collectors niche, but such product seems aimed more at Star Wars memorabilia collectors. Again, it's more financially logical for the rights' holders to put out stuff like this now and then working on a full complete restoration of the whole soundtrack saga later.

It is financially logical for them, of course... I get why THEY are doing it. But why are WE defending their business models? It's a bit of a pointless thing to do on our end, wouldn't you agree? It doesn't change the fact the people, no matter how knowledgeable they might be, are buying same things all over again. And that's not ok.

Karol

19 minutes ago, crocodile said:

It is financially logical for them, of course... I get why THEY are doing it. But why are WE defending their business models? It's a bit of a pointless thing to do on our end, wouldn't you agree? It doesn't change the fact the people, no matter how knowledgeable they might be, are buying same things all over again. And that's not ok.

Karol

This.

Do you guys really expect big corporations acting with priorities other than maximise their financial income? Star Wars has always been about milking the cow of fans and aficionados. Of course that doesn't mean anyone have to accept inferior product or applaud at their marketing strategies, but that's more or less the reality in which even an artistic object like Williams' music for the franchise lives in (at least in its commercial value).

That being said, we can be confident that the right people will do their best to give us JWfans a complete soundtrack release in the not-so-distant future. We have enough Star Wars music to enjoy in the time being ;)

Didn't they release that recently though?  I thought it was already out there (though there have been so many releases I might be missing something).

And isn't the anthology more or less the original album program?

7 minutes ago, TownerFan said:

Do you guys really expect big corporations acting with priorities other than maximise their financial income? Star Wars has always been about milking the cow of fans and aficionados. Of course that doesn't mean anyone have to accept inferior product or applaud at their marketing strategies, but that's more or less the reality in which even an artistic object like Williams' music for the franchise lives in (at least in its commercial value).

That being said, we can be confident that the right people will do their best to give us JWfans a complete soundtrack release in the not-so-distant future. We have enough Star Wars music to enjoy in the time being ;)

No, I just feel sorry for all the clueless people who might simply like the music and who will pay a lot of money for a product that does have a cheaper, and often superior, alternative readily available.

Unless, of course, they are one of these sad people who buy it only for cover art or the box.

And yeah, I'm pretty sure the actual proper product will arrive one day. ;)

Karol

Interesting...I didn't know the OST was never released on CD. I knew the original release CD was truncated, but I didn't know the complete release never made its way to the format.  

Star Wars and Jedi OSTs are on CD. ESB is the problematic one because it wasn't the entire album. It was a truncated version with the tracks arranged in a strange order. The Anthology did retain some album tracks, but it wasn't quite faithful. They expanded some tracks and "corrected" some wonky analog edits. The ESB album main title contained the film edit (?) of This Is Not a Cave at the end, but this was never featured on the Anthology.

1 hour ago, Nick1066 said:

Why are people complaining that there are no CD's?

If it's the same old release, what difference does it make?

The 1980 2LP TESB program has never been released on CD.

1 hour ago, Nick1066 said:

Didn't they release that recently though?  I thought it was already out there (though there have been so many releases I might be missing something).

Sony remastered the original albums in 2016 and released them digitally and on vinyl, but NOT on CD.  (The lavish box set they put out had the OSTS for the prequels and the 1997 programs for the OT).

Then in January 2017 Disney Records took over from Sony and immediately reissued the OST album programs digitally themselves (with new cover art), and is just getting around to their first vinyl now.

The prequel OSTs have been officially out of print on their original format (CD) since Jan 1 2017 and counting.

And isn't the anthology more or less the original album program?

Absolutely not.

Dear Disney,

Each time the original 1977 Star Wars Theme (with the VERY bad edit) is released, a kitten dies.

(The program of the OST have to be "reconstructed" from the original source material)

Thanks,

- Bespin

7 minutes ago, Disco Stu said:

I've become quite attached to that transition through sheer decades of hearing it.

I can't, for me it's stop the magic at each listening. And I listen to it rarely, because in all my playlists I've replaced the theme with the version from the Anthology boxset, where the EDIT has been corrected (or the theme reconstructed I don't know).

Oh you mean the specific '77 OST edit.  I thought you meant that you dislike generally how Williams' concert arrangement transitions from the Rebel Fanfare to the End Credits.

I'm ok with both.

28 minutes ago, Disco Stu said:

Oh you mean the specific '77 OST edit.  I thought you meant that you dislike generally how Williams' concert arrangement transitions from the Rebel Fanfare to the End Credits.

I'm ok with both.

I talk about the Theme specifically.

Is there any re-recording that was made for the OSTs of the original trilogy like for E.T.?

The only SW releases I've ever head was the 1993 anthology box which I later replaced with the 2004 Sony versions. I sold the box that is still the best option to listen to the music, as long as we don't have properly proper releases. But I don't really regret selling it, since we'll get the complete scores soon.

The only non-film recordings on original trilogy OSTs was “Lapti Nek” and “Ewok Celebration” for ROTJ as I recall.

Well, outside of separate concert arrangements I mean (like Leia’s theme, Imperial March, etc.)

47 minutes ago, Brundlefly said:

Is there any re-recording that was made for the OSTs of the original trilogy like for E.T.?

The only SW releases I've ever head was the 1993 anthology box which I later replaced with the 2004 Sony versions. I sold the box that is still the best option to listen to the music, as long as we don't have properly proper releases. But I don't really regret selling it, since we'll get the complete scores soon.

Well, the many edits presents on the OST program is like a "re-recording" in a "certain point of view", but no, John Williams had not enough budget it seems in 1977 to schedule re-recording sessions especially for making an album.

John Williams surely had a lot of fun making his edits for the 2-LP Star Wars program. A part from the Theme where the EDIT is very badly done, the rest of the album is not so bad. The many EDITS on the ESB double album are not bad either. Talking about ESB Star Wars Theme, I always loved the way he mixed the Theme with the cue of the Mynock cave.  Wouaou... so space... but efficient!  They really smoked good stuff in that era!

1 hour ago, Bespin said:

John Williams surely had a lot of fun making his edits for the 2-LP Star Wars program. A part from the Theme where the EDIT is very badly done, the rest of the album is not so bad. The many EDITS on the ESB double album are not bad either. Talking about ESB Star Wars Theme, I always loved the way he mixed the Theme with the cue of the Mynock cave.  Wouaou... so space... but efficient!  They really smoked good stuff in that era!

Mynock Cave was on the ESB (?)double album(?)?

4 hours ago, Brundlefly said:

"Re-recording" is the wrong word to use - you're asking about concert arrangements, IE arrangements of music that typically expands a theme from a score into its own piece ready to be played at concerts.  In the case of the Star Wars OT, he recorded a total of 6 of these pieces while writing each score.

"Princess Leia's Theme" from Star Wars

"The Imperial March" and "Yoda's Theme" from The Empire Strikes Back

and "Luke and Leia, "Parade of the Ewoks", "Jabba The Hutt", and "The Forest Battle"  from Return on the Jedi.

All of those concert arrangements were recorded during each film's main scoring sessions and included on each original OST program, except "Jabba The Hutt', which was truncated; The ending portion only was connected to the beginning of "3M2 The Big Thaw" to create the track "Han Solo Returns (At The Court of Jabba The Hutt)".

2 hours ago, Jay said:

All of those concert arrangements were recorded during each film's main scoring sessions and included on each original OST program, except "Jabba The Hutt', which was truncated; The ending portion only was connected to the beginning of "3M2 The Big Thaw" to create the track "Han Solo Returns (At The Court of Jabba The Hutt)".

Is "Jabba The Hutt" also on the SE as beginning of "Han Solo Returns"?

On 11/8/2017 at 10:30 PM, Brundlefly said:

Is "Jabba The Hutt" also on the SE as beginning of "Han Solo Returns"?

The concert arrangement of Jabba The Hutt does not appear on the 1997 2CD set at all.

Both the 1993 OST and 1993 Anthology feature the same edit of 3M2 The Big Thaw into the second half of the Jabba The Hutt concert arrangement as "Han Solo Returns", while the 1997 track "Han Solo Returns" is 3M2 The Big Thaw all the way through with no edits.

Mike also snuck two inserts recorded for 3M2 The Big Thaw into disc 1 tracks 6 and 11.