The "(Fill in the Blank) Has Died" Thread

John

I'm celebrating the Maestro's birthday when I got the email about this. This is sad news.

I guess I'll be watching the end of Close Encounters today.

RIP, Mr. Trumbull. A visionary in a time of visionaries.

https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/movies/movie-news/robert-blalack-dead-star-wars-visual-effects-1235088279/

Sad that his death is going to be completely overshadowed by Trumbull. 

I know Star Wars is just a movie (really I do) but the talent that coalesced in that moment in many ways changed the world. Certainly they changed movies. 

Never heard of this guy. I guess the only SFX wizards that I know by name (and I'm sure I'm forgetting a name or two) are Trumbull, John Dykstra and Richard Yuricich (who actually did the most in Blade Runner), ... all old school FX wizards. I'm totally not familiar with the new SFX hot shots.

1 minute ago, AC1 said:

Never heard of this guy. I guess the only SFX wizards that I know by name (and I'm sure I'm forgetting a name or two) are Trumbull, John Dykstra and Richard Yuricich (who actually did the most in Blade Runner), ... all old school FX wizards. I'm totally not familiar with the new SFX hot shots.

Ray Harryhausen turns in his grave! 

But yeah -- I was not familiar with Blalack either. So many behind-the-scenes STAR WARS folks I'm not familiar with. Sorry to hear of his passing.

14 hours ago, AC1 said:

Never heard of this guy. I guess the only SFX wizards that I know by name (and I'm sure I'm forgetting a name or two) are Trumbull, John Dykstra and Richard Yuricich (who actually did the most in Blade Runner), ... all old school FX wizards.

Derek Meddings; Nick Alder; Brian Johnson: Ken Ralston; Dennis Muren; David Dryer; Con Pederson; Harrison Ellenshaw; Peter Ellenshaw; Sid Dutton; Albert Whitlock; A.D. Flowers; Greg Jein; Glen Robinson; Frank Van Der Veer; Scott Farrar; Dennis and Robert Skotak ; Richard Edlund.

There's a few names to be going on with.

20 minutes ago, Naïve Old Fart said:

RIP, Ian MacDonald, co-founder of King Crimson :(

Just a few days ago I discovered that the drummer on 'Sides' by Anthony Phillips is early King Crimson drummer Michael Giles. His drumming is completely nuts!

Ian McDonald also started Foreigner, right? Not a fan of that one.

I don't mind Foreigner. Waiting For A Girl Like You is an exceptional song.  MacDonald had left, by then, but Thomas Dolby, and Larry Fast were drafted in.

SIDES is not bad. WISE AFTER THE EVENT,  THE GEESE AND THE GHOST are better. 1984 is outstanding.

52 minutes ago, Naïve Old Fart said:

I don't mind Foreigner.

1984 is outstanding.

:blink: Two shocking statements, Richard! 

It was Invisible Men and 1984 that stopped me from further buying any Anthony Phillips LPs. I really don't like these two.

To me The Geese And The Ghost stands miles above all the others. It was the first Anthony Phillips album that I bought and it's one of my all-time favorite albums, one that I will certainly take with me when Jay and Ricard ban me to a desert island. It has a kind of melancholy for a medieval place and time that never existed and I really love that. Can't find that feeling anywhere else. 

Back in the day, I loved Wise After The Event (after getting used to Ant's voice of which, if I'm honest, I'm not a big fan of) and Sides, but they are much more song oriented than The Geese And The Ghost. These days I actually enjoy Sides more (again, those 2 prog track with Michael Giles! WTF! Plus, 'I Want Your Love' is a perfect love song that can stand next to anything Paul Simon has ever written) then Wise After The Event but it back then it was the other way around.

6 minutes ago, Naïve Old Fart said:

I love any Anthony Phillip

Oh yeah? What about Private Parts & Pieces 1 & 2?

Or Field Days?

6 minutes ago, Naïve Old Fart said:

1984 is his (for me) masterpiece.

It's his Platinum but The Geese And The Ghost is his Tubular Bells

3 hours ago, Groovygoth666 said:

Very sad to hear

PJ O'Rourke, one of my favorite writers/satirists since I was a teen, died today. He was always funny and always an interesting perspective, even when I disagreed with his take.  Like so many lame nerds, I first discovered him via the NPR show Wait Wait Don't Tell me, on which he was a frequent panellist.  He was one of the few right-of-center voices to have a long-time home at the radio network.

https://www.npr.org/2022/02/15/1080941812/satirist-p-j-orourke-panelist-on-nprs-wait-wait-dont-tell-me-dies-at-74

Reitman's family fled the NAZIS.

The amount of exiled Jewish talent that ended up in Canada and USA is staggering.

Russian Jews were the first and largest wave.

Imagine what their cultures might have been....

Btw I just watched the DVD of THE WOLF MAN which features an interview with German- Jewish refugee Curt Siodmak.

Rip IR

Trumbull was a genius ... recently-ish rewatched Close Encounters, and those UFO FX still REALLY hold up. 

Amongst many movies, Reitman of course brought us Ghostbusters and bless him for that.

Only bit of PJ O'Rourke I ever read was The Bachelor Home Companion, but damn it was funny. 

R.I.P. to all three. 

2 hours ago, Tallguy said:

I had no idea Reitman directed Dave. And I know it's not regarded as a "good film" but at the time I really like Six Days Seven Nights.

If memory serves, there was quite the controversy surrounding the release of 6D7N. Wasn't this the time that Amy Heche chose to come out?

Also, not a popular choice, but...I like LEGAL EAGLES. 

Ah yes ... back at a time when the co-lead of a romcom adventure flick revealing that they were gay made studio execs go a whiter shade of pale as they thought about the effect on the box-office in the more conservative states :lol: .   

My memory is thankfully fuzzy. But the controversy (as much as there was) was that Heche was riding the coat tails of her relationship with Elen Degeneres to larger stardom.

I didn't care, it was a Harrison Ford movie! I always liked Ford in comedies. It beat the hell out of his super serious / noble Jack Ryan / Richard Kimble / President Whoever roles that he fell into (and made LOTS of money with).

Sad news for fans of hard rock.  Mark Lanegan died today at the age of 57.  He was the lead singer for the band Screaming Trees and he recorded a few duet albums I liked very much with Isobel Campbell, but I'll always remember him first and foremost for his collaborations with Queens of the Stone Age.

He's singing lead on this absolute classic