Is your favorite film score of all time to a film you've never seen?

Dixon Hill

Is your favorite film score of all time to a film you've never seen?  

34 members have voted

1. 1. Is your favorite film score of all time to a film you've never seen?

2. 2. Is your favorite score from your favorite film?

10 hours ago, Wojism said:

Would you trust someone whose favorite piece of popular music was by an artist they've never seen in concert nor watched the music videos for? 

Would you trust someone who's never seen their favorite piece of classical music performed live? 

It's not a difficult concept. 

A song isn’t written to accompany a live performance or music video. Those things are tailored to the already existing song.

The only reason a film score exists is to support the film. 

It’s not a difficult concept. 

4 hours ago, Richard Penna said:

I know Koray's comments were in response to a barrage of criticism against the music on album, and he does have a point in so far that some scores are hard to appreciate until you've seen the film, in terms of understanding the approach they took. Hence this is an interesting discussion, but not very revelatory -  I don't feel there was ever a serious suggestion that you had to watch a film before commenting on the score - just the shrapnel from Koray's out of the blue insistence that we must see the film first. (would it not be easier to acknowledge that the score isn't the strongest on album, but might appeal more when heard in the film, instead of launching off the deep end and causing a tsunami?) 

I agree with you. As you said, there was a barrage of criticism against Balfe's music and himself as a composer without making this distinction, so I responded in kind. It'd be like looking at the costumes of a film on a rack and trashing it on face value without assessing it in the context of the film. Sure you can appreciate it or dislike it on face value, but you're missing out on a key element of why that element is the way it is.

3 minutes ago, Cherry Pie That'll Kill Ya said:

What's all this about "trust"? As if someone's music listening habits suggests they're a deceptive and dishonest person...

That's exactly what a dishonest person would say!

14 hours ago, kaseykockroach said:

Most of the best film scores tell more compelling stories than the films they're accompanying. 

Seems that way a lot of times, indeed!

Over the course of falling in love with a score, over many listens and over an extended period of time, if it's really getting to the point where it's one of my favorites, I literally cannot imagine NOT seeking out the film to understand what the composer had in mind when writing it.  It's just part of understanding a beloved film score to me.

There are plenty of scores I like that I haven't seen the film, but I just could not get all the way to loving one without it.  Just how my brain works.

Pretty much how I feel too

At some point, I'll track down and watch films like The Greatest Miracle, Night Crossing, Heartbeeps, The Reivers, The Long Goodbye, Link, The Red Turtle, Zarafa, Living in the Age of Airplanes, Black Gold, Wolf Totem, etc just because I like their scores so much

8 minutes ago, Jay said:

The Long Goodbye

I highly recommend this one.  One of Altman's best.  As with all Altmans, don't expect to be engrossed by the plot on first watch.  It's all about the vibe with him.

It's a great movie with a brilliant performance by Elliot Gould (as is 'California Split' where he is paired with George Segal in an Altman movie that was supposed to be scored by JW before the untimely death of his wife).

*The film is dedicated to actress Barbara Ruick who appears in the movie as a barmaid and who died on location during the filming. The end title card memorializing this reads: "FOR BARBARA 1933-1973".

4 minutes ago, publicist said:

It's a great movie with a brilliant performance by Elliot Gould (as is 'California Split' where he is paired with George Segal in an Altman movie that was supposed to be scored by JW before the untimely death of his wife).

*The film is dedicated to actress Barbara Ruick who appears in the movie as a barmaid and who died on location during the filming. The end title card memorializing this reads: "FOR BARBARA 1933-1973".

It's one of the best "Los Angeles plays itself" movies of all time too (like so many great noir films).  When I was driving around Hollywood a couple of years ago I made sure to go by Marlowe's apartment building from the movie, with that fantastic elevator tower.

8 minutes ago, Disco Stu said:

It's one of the best "Los Angeles plays itself" movies of all time too (like so many great noir films).  When I was driving around Hollywood a couple of years ago I made sure to go by Marlowe's apartment building from the movie, with that fantastic elevator tower.

Next to Hollywood Bowl.

1 hour ago, Disco Stu said:

It's not a competition!  All of Altman's 70s classics are great in their own special way!

True. But I think IMAGES is the best of 'em.

Not my favorite film score, but I very much enjoy Vangelis' Blade Runner, a film which I haven't gotten around to seeing yet (yes, I'm a heathen).

15 minutes ago, Disco Stu said:

Better: does anyone have a favorite score they’ve only ever heard in-film?

Favourite unreleased scores, you mean? Like STORY OF A WOMAN?

Just now, Thor said:

Favourite unreleased scores, you mean?

Sure.  But it'd be interesting if there were any scores you loved that have some kind of release and you just hadn't sought out to listen to on their own.

On 8/7/2018 at 1:24 AM, kaseykockroach said:

Most of the best film scores tell more compelling stories than the films they're accompanying. 

There are some examples where the film and the music elevate each other to a new dimension. Prisoner of Azkaban, Alien, The Mission, Under Fire, Russia House, Once Upon a Time in America, Amistad and Schindler's List are all sublime movies with sublime scores.

Liked the references in this thread for The Mission, Conan the Barbarian, and Legends of the Fall - all of which are all-timer scores for me, for movies I haven't seen.

The Cowboys, Memoirs of a Geisha, and Elfman's Black Beauty also fall in this catergory.

If you held a gun to my head to make me choose, though , it would be Fellowship of the Ring for both movie and score.

2 hours ago, Disco Stu said:

Better: does anyone have a favorite score they’ve only ever heard in-film?

I've heard hardly any film scores outside their respective films, so the answer would undoubtedly be yes for me.