Mission: Impossible 7 & 8

Jay

1 hour ago, Sweeping Strings said:

The story of the creation of the atomic bomb, told with bunnies. It's the remake we never knew we needed! 

Elmer Fudd plays a German agent.

1 hour ago, Sweeping Strings said:

The story of the creation of the atomic bomb, told with bunnies. It's the remake we never knew we needed! 

Nah:

Hops-scaled.jpg

• 2 months later...

Suppose it makes some sense. They don't want people to associate the next movie with the one that did so-so. But that means they will have to actually alter the movie itself. It's like the exact opposite of Star Wars 1977. ;) 

On 27/10/2023 at 11:00 AM, Sweeping Strings said:

Cheers to Manufacturing | NIST

I genuinely thought these were Sankara stones. :lol:

Karol

Not unheard of to drop the "Part 1" from a title, which has always been a dumb idea that is more associated with teen franchises (Harry Potter, Twilight, Hunger Games) anyway. 

The movie that today we know as Avengers Endgame originally was set to be called Infinity War Part II. The same goes for Beyond the Spiderverse, which before was just Across the Spiderveser Part 2.

Of course, all of those changes happened way before their Part 1s hit the theaters. I don't remember that happening to a movie after Part 1 comes out. 

I wonder if, on the movie that was formely known as Dead Reckoning Part 2, Hunt and the gang will defeat the Entity on the first ten minutes and then move on to another plot that Paramount execs think will make more money than DR1.

5 minutes ago, Edmilson said:

I wonder if, on the movie that was formely known as Dead Reckoning Part 2, Hunt and the gang will defeat the Entity on the first ten minutes and then move on to another plot that Paramount execs think will make more money than DR1.

I doubt it, since it was already filmed from March 2022 through July 2023.  Though, the strikes started before they were 100% finished filming, so they'll have to resume at some point, which I guess is why it was pushed back from June 2024 to May 2025

32 minutes ago, crocodile said:
On 27/10/2023 at 12:00 PM, Sweeping Strings said:

Cheers to Manufacturing | NIST

Expand  

I genuinely thought these were Sankara steins:lol:

Fixed that for you.

21 minutes ago, Edmilson said:

Not unheard of to drop the "Part 1" from a title, which has always been a dumb idea that is more associated with teen franchises (Harry Potter, Twilight, Hunger Games) anyway.

MV5BMWMwMGQzZTItY2JlNC00OWZiLWIyMDctNDk2

1 hour ago, Jurassic Shark said:

They will defeat Lorne Balfe and reinstate Joe Kraemer.

In an ideal world.

1 hour ago, Jay said:

I doubt it, since it was already filmed from March 2022 through July 2023.  Though, the strikes started before they were 100% finished filming, so they'll have to resume at some point, which I guess is why it was pushed back from June 2024 to May 2025

I was (mostly) kidding of course :lol: But yeah, the strikes caused the production to be delayed and given the somewhat lukewarm response to DR1, I imagine they'll try to fix the plot a bit. Maybe make the movie a little shorter? There's no reason for a Mission Impossible movie to be almost 3 hours long :D

However, M: I 7 received great reviews. I think the muted response from the audiences was entirely because Paramount was stupid enough to open it a week before Barbenheimer. Had they opened it in another date it could've performed a little better.

1 hour ago, Marian Schedenig said:

MV5BMWMwMGQzZTItY2JlNC00OWZiLWIyMDctNDk2

Fair enough. 

2 hours ago, Edmilson said:

I was (mostly) kidding of course :lol: But yeah, the strikes caused the production to be delayed and given the somewhat lukewarm response to DR1, I imagine they'll try to fix the plot a bit. Maybe make the movie a little shorter? There's no reason for a Mission Impossible movie to be almost 3 hours long :D

However, M: I 7 received great reviews. I think the muted response from the audiences was entirely because Paramount was stupid enough to open it a week before Barbenheimer. Had they opened it in another date it could've performed a little better.

Fair enough. 

I don’t think the audience response to MI7 was an issue. People loved the movie mainly. The release date, one week before Oppenheimer and Barbie was a huge blunder from Paramount that completely ruined the box office. It would have done very well if it had been released in August for instance.

I really hope that they don’t change the movie, I hope they film it as planned (though with a new title apparently).

37 minutes ago, Mr. Who said:

I don’t think the audience response to MI7 was an issue. People loved the movie mainly.

The people that actually saw the movie really liked it, problem is, they were too few :lol: Thanks to Barbenheimer, no one even remembered there was a new M: I movie in theaters.

And I think that's the main problem for Paramount: it had way too little hype. How do you make a direct sequel for a movie that no one talked about, even though it tackled topical themes? They'll have to make sure people who didn't saw DR1 because they were too busy with Barbie and Oppenheimer actually discover it on streaming.

1 hour ago, Mr. Who said:

I really hope that they don’t change the movie, I hope they film it as planned (though with a new title apparently).

Normally I would agree. It was a good entry in a strong series, and normally, changes and rewrites would probably just dilute whatever they were going for. But this is M:I… the whole series has been made like that - some spectacular set pieces strung together by scripts that were constantly changed and sometimes written on the fly. Seems to work out just fine for them, so I'm not too worried.

On 19/1/2024 at 7:20 AM, Jay said:

The 7th film is officially renamed to "Mission: Impossible – Dead Reckoning"

I guess the existing blu rays and dvds with "Part One" on their covers will be collector's items some day

poster.jpeg

“Part One” still appears on the title card when streaming it on paramount+, I just discovered. Interesting…

4 hours ago, Bayesian said:

“Part One” still appears on the title card when streaming it on paramount+, I just discovered. Interesting…

Good, re-editing a movie is always weird, the music (I believe it's the timpani?) follows each new line popping up in the title and it would be awkward to just stop in Dead Reckoning,

Confirmed. Good grief, the opening credits is nearly 30 minutes into the movie!

I still don't get the "change". Is it because they don't want people to see "Part Two" and say "You know, I never saw Part One"?

• 2 months later...

Her role couldn't be that big, could it? Haven't they been filming this one since 2022? I'd have thought principal photography had wrapped on this already, SAG/WGA strike notwithstanding.

MI8 filmed in the UK from March 2022 to December 2022.  Starting in July 2023 they were filming in Italy, until everything shut down from the back to back strikes.  They didn't resume filming again until this month, which is why the film was delayed from 2024 to 2025.  So now we're getting news of cast members who presumably weren't part of the 2022 UK or 2023 Italy filming.

They were still filming in the UK as of a few weeks ago because it was in the local news that Cruise was filming at Longcross Studios near the M25 (the big motorway car park circling London) but we had a massive planned weekend closure nearby the studio and some news outlets made a thing about Cruise possibly using his helicopter to get crew there (I'm slightly skeptical of that bit of the story - choppers are small and film crews are big).

• 4 weeks later...