Mission: Impossible 7 & 8

Jay

Nothing says final episode like bringing back minor characters from the beginning.

The beginning of the first movie, with a cast of fairly well known supporting actors who got unceremoniously bumped off was one of the more rewarding moments in the cinema for me.

2 hours ago, Jay said:

Yea I assumed Emilio Estevez was a major character going in

I read a while ago that Cruise regretted Estevez’ character dying so early in the movie. 

I guess if his death wasn't so specific they could have found a way to say he didn't really die somehow

17 minutes ago, Mr. Who said:

I read a while ago that Cruise regretted Estevez’ character dying so early in the movie. 

I just read that as well. It misses the whole point that the audience just assumed that being Estevez gave him plot armor that he didn't have. The one that shocked me was Kristin Scott Thomas. She had just been in Four Weddings and a Funeral, she was kind of "up and coming".

Seriously that cast was so perfect. Bit of a bummer about Phelps though.

Has there been a M:I movie where the villain wasn't either IMF or created by the IMF?

2 minutes ago, Tallguy said:

Has there been a M:I movie where the villain wasn't either IMF or created by the IMF?

Nope.

10 minutes ago, Tallguy said:

I just read that as well. It misses the whole point that the audience just assumed that being Estevez gave him plot armor that he didn't have. The one that shocked me was Kristin Scott Thomas. She had just been in Four Weddings and a Funeral, she was kind of "up and coming".

Seriously that cast was so perfect. Bit of a bummer about Phelps though.

The villain in Ghost Protocol is a Swedish scientist I think so he wasn't connected to the IMF. Solomon Lane was MI6.

Huh, I forgot that MI4 actually didn't do this trope.  I wonder if 7 and 8 will or not

15 minutes ago, Mr. Who said:

I just remembered that Owen Davian in MI3 is an arms dealer, not an IMF agent. Only MI1 and 2's villains have a past in the IMF, in MI5-6 Lane is MI6, which is a bit like IMF, and Lark is CIA.

Fair enough about the other intelligence agencies. (Although, still all friendly powers and agencies.) And in M:I 3 there was an inside guy.

Rogue Nation is by far the best one, but the moment in Fallout when they "blew up" the Vatican was a pretty decent fake out.

7 hours ago, Mr. Who said:

I think I’ll rewatch Agent Carter this summer. I haven’t seen it since it aired,

Every year or so the thought comes back to me, I rewatched The First Avenger recently and it came back, gotta find the time.

17 hours ago, Tallguy said:

Fair enough about the other intelligence agencies. (Although, still all friendly powers and agencies.) And in M:I 3 there was an inside guy.

Rogue Nation is by far the best one, but the moment in Fallout when they "blew up" the Vatican was a pretty decent fake out.

All the M:I films are Hunt’s team either being branded as traitors or they working on they own bypassing IMF CEO orders, involving traitor members of IMF. Its ironic the films still work being a retreading of the same ideas….

20 hours ago, Nick1Ø66 said:

This is going to be the #1 box office hit of the year, bank on it.

I honestly hope its and Indy's box-office leaves NTTD's in the dust. A message needs to be sent to EON, I think. 

7 hours ago, Brónach said:

what else is there for Bond to do?

Become again what he always was: a sexist, misogynist dinosaur, a relic of the cold war, a womaniser, a cold-blooded killer, a man who could blow your cover, a heavy-smoking, hard-drinking bastard, and not some emasculated woke "was he/wasn't he" dad, behavioural psychologists wet dream, who pines for some drowned bitch who betrayed him, and then dies with a soft toy stuffed down the front of his trousers.

On 17/05/2023 at 11:59 PM, Jay said:

I wonder if 7 and 8 will or not

My understanding is 7 and 8 are the team's continuing tribulations with the Syndicate, no?

• 2 weeks later...
On 01/06/2023 at 1:05 AM, thestat said:

Let's hope Balfe picks up on those cues suggesting that he try a bit more than simply phone in a sampled piece of bongo crap. Am listening now to the only highlight from his previous MI score (Freefall), well, all I can say is, ouch?

Based purely on the album I was extremely harsh on the score, but on seeing the film I think there are several highlight sequences. The exchange sequence and the chase across London also piqued my interest.

I found it a score of extremes - the balance is the usual dull, meandering stuff, but then a short-ish album can be made from the highlights which are far more interesting.

9 minutes ago, Edmilson said:

Apparently Cruise is furious with Oppenheimer opening one week later than his movie. That is because his new M:I would only get IMAX screens for a week.

https://www.esquireme.com/brief/tom-cruise-imax-oppenheimer

I'm afraid they're going to fight and we're going to lose.

That's happening with more films this week.

Creed 3 had to give them to Scream VI and Scream VI to Du geons And Dragons.

Fast X to Little Mermaid and Little Mermaid to Across The Spider-Verse.

Spider-Verse will have to give them up to Transformers and a week later The Flash.

It's just very crowded

Strange that they don't work out a deal where IMAX can show more than one movie in the same week. Especially with so many releases in a row. I better go see Spiderverse before anything happens. Speaking of, I guess there's no 3D Spiderverse screenings... which is a shame, because the first movie was one of the most fun 3D movie experiences I've had.

I don’t think anything will pass Mario this year, but I do think this and Indy will be the second and third highest grossing films of the year.

20 hours ago, Edmilson said:

Apparently Cruise is furious with Oppenheimer opening one week later than his movie. That is because his new M:I would only get IMAX screens for a week.

Oh, boo fucking hoo!

He'll get over it.

• 2 weeks later...

I realize that this looks more involved and with fewer stunt performers, but "chase with handcuffs" was done first by Tomorrow Never Dies.