What is the last piece of classical music you listened to?

The only thing I can tell you is that you can find a complete (?) archive of all Karajan concerts and recordings here:

https://discoverkarajan.com/#/discover

(It's got a bit of a fancy design coupled with a map of the performance locations, so I'm not sure how accessible it is)

8 hours ago, Marian Schedenig said:

The only thing I can tell you is that you can find a complete (?) archive of all Karajan concerts and recordings here:

https://discoverkarajan.com/#/discover

(It's got a bit of a fancy design coupled with a map of the performance locations, so I'm not sure how accessible it is)

Yeah, not very accessible, but I'll try some more in a bit.

• 2 weeks later...
1 hour ago, bollemanneke said:

St Matthew Passion, Suzuki's second recording. Despite my uncountable gripes with the story, Suzuki succeeded where Gardiner failed miserably. I'm actually deeply moved. Who'd have thunk it?

Which Gardiner?

8 hours ago, bollemanneke said:

The one on SDG. 

Yeah, that one isn’t as good as his original on Arkiv, maybe check it out if you get a chance. Emotional vapidity is a charge often leveled at Gardiner that never rings true to me, but I’ve found most of his SDG “redos” are not as good as their Archiv equivalents.

I've been listening to Brian Ferneyhough's solo piano piece Lemma-Icon-Epigram a lot for the past couple of weeks. One of the most intensely rewarding musical experiences comes when an initially incomprehensible work begins to make sense upon repeated hearings, and this apparently cacaphonic torrent of meaningless notes has been completely transformed in my perception, with tantalising harmonic and rhythmic patterns emerging. I wish Ferneyhough had written more piano music; I'm not sure why, but seem to find that easier to grapple with.

Can anyone recommend me a decent Beethoven's 9th Symphony?

I've looked on Amazon, and I'm torn between two Karajan recordings.

Anyone got any other suggestions?

(sorry, but I could not locate the "Classical Music Recommendation" thread)

4 hours ago, Naïve Old Fart said:

(sorry, but I could not locate the "Classical Music Recommendation" thread)

I’m partial to Gardiner, but if you want something with modern instruments, and a more mainstream sound and interpretation, Mariss Jansons did a cycle with the Bavarian Radio Symphony that is exceptional, and I believe the 9th can be bought separately.

10 hours ago, Naïve Old Fart said:

I love the Gardiner cycle, and his 9th has a lot going for it. But Cleveland with Szell remains *the* 9th for me.

(@Jurassic Shark will agree)

• 2 weeks later...

Part of the Cello Concerto sound more like John Williams than JW’s Cello Concerto and the first symphony is terrific too. Anyone who enjoys JW’s music really ought to listen to Walton, his concert and film music both have his distinctive style all over them.

IMG_5705.jpeg

Ny01MTk3LmpwZWc.jpeg

Is it classical? Is it electronic? Is it pop? Or is it simply a merging of everything, as the title suggests? Dudley employs choir, orchestra and electronics in a fascinating hybrid style for this 1999 concept album.

I just bought these:

image.jpeg

But I do *not* recommend the Beethovens.

The choir is frightening. (They're supposedly singing German, but I can barely make out any of the words - and that's the least of their problems):

The soloists are not any better:

The orchestra and Segerstam are in a different league compared to that, at least. But I didn't think you could make Beethoven's wonderful overture for the opening of the Theater in der Josefstadt sound so boring:

I'll stick with my old Karajan:

I have been working by way through a set of Arvo Pärt’s music and have to admit that for the most part it seems like aimless noodling. Especially the piano music. Some of the choral music I enjoyed (the Berliner Messe… appropriate for my trip to Berlin!) but was much less interesting than Kurt Weill’s Berliner Requiem. I know comparing things just because they have similar titles isn’t t really logical but it was a good excuse to listen to both!

On 12/11/2023 at 2:28 PM, Thor said:

Ny01MTk3LmpwZWc.jpeg

Is it classical? Is it electronic? Is it pop? Or is it simply a merging of everything, as the title suggests? Dudley employs choir, orchestra and electronics in a fascinating hybrid style for this 1999 concept album.

Today I dipped into this one and I really really like it. It is for sure in my top 5 Dudley albums now. The big winner here are the great choir arrangements. Didn't expect that. Thanks you for the recommendation, Thor!

@GerateWohl, you really need to listen to THE SEDUCTION OF CLAUDE DEBUSSY.

On 15/11/2023 at 11:13 AM, Tom Guernsey said:

I have been working by way through a set of Arvo Pärt’s music and have to admit that for the most part it seems like aimless noodling. Especially the piano music. Some of the choral music I enjoyed (the Berliner Messe… appropriate for my trip to Berlin!) but was much less interesting than Kurt Weill’s Berliner Requiem. I know comparing things just because they have similar titles isn’t t really logical but it was a good excuse to listen to both!

Agreed. Pärt seems to be just a couple of rungs above the worst offender of this type of music, Ludovico Einaudi, a "composer", so loathsome to my ears, that I want to throw my radio out of my living room window, run to the nearest concert where his music is being played, and scream: "... but he's naked!".

44 minutes ago, Naïve Old Fart said:

Agreed. Pärt seems to be just a couple of rungs above the worst offender of this type of music, Ludovico Einaudi, a "composer", so loathsome to my ears, that I want to throw my radio out of my living room window, run to the nearest concert where his music is being played, and scream: "... but he's naked!".

It’s a wonder you’re not on Radio 3 or (shudder) Classic FM :wink:

I’ve not tried Einaudi but from the clips I’ve heard it seems astonishing that his piano noodling is any better or worse than that by an average music student. I can improvise noodling piano music that good (or maybe better as I’d get bored going round in musical circles for that long). I did wonder about recording myself doing it and see if I can become a rich and famous “composer”.

As for Pärt, I like Fratres (I mean you must do if you like James Horner haha) but need to revisit his symphonies which I seem to recall being moderately enjoyable, albeit not enough that I’m rushing to listen to them or to remember much about them.

Ok. Time for some Mahler.

On 15/11/2023 at 12:13 PM, Tom Guernsey said:

Check out Pärt's Credo.

• 2 weeks later...
2 hours ago, Marian Schedenig said:

Who can tell me what the second piece played in this reel is? (The one after the Bruckner)

https://www.instagram.com/reel/C0PkmKBoNbG/

Prokofiev's Symphony No. 5, scherzo (second movement)

EDIT: Nevermind, I think you mean the one before Prokofiev. 

On 13/11/2023 at 12:33 AM, karelm said:

Ernest Bloch's 3 Jewish Poems.  Some of it reminded me of JW.   Like the sequence starting at 9:48 sounds very Williamsy to me. 

Bloch is definitely one of those composers where you listen to his pieces and you go "...hey! That's Williams!" "Schelomo" is another example, as well as "Poems of the Sea" and "Evocations".

11 hours ago, karelm said:

EDIT: Nevermind, I think you mean the one before Prokofiev. 

I guess so. I didn't know the Prokofiev either, but yes, I meant the one before the one that sounds like Profkofiev - the one that sounds like a JW action cue with its xylophone and brass and string ostinato.

With some help from a friend and some going through YouTube clips, I found it:

Nice stuff. Much more interesting to me than the over-hyped Elfman at the very least.

But nobody would watch that - everyone knows how it ends!

Side note: I used to be confused about Humpty Dumpty for decades, because while Lewis Carroll's Alice books are well-known in Austria (and Germany) and I used to listen to and watch all kinds of adaptations of them as a child, the original song (to my knowledge) isn't. I always assumed it was original to Carroll's story and could never reconcile Humpty Dumpty's popularity and the gravity (no pun intended) of the rhyme with his relatively brief appearance in the actual story. It wasn't until much, much later that I realised the song predates the books and Carroll was deliberately incorporating something that everybody was supposed to be already familiar with.