ricsim88

Williams in Tanglewood in 2020

8 minutes ago, Will said:

Hmm, "hosting" again, that's not a great sign... Although he did conduct several pieces last time anyway.

My guess is if his health allows it, he will conduct the easy ones. It’s not like this orchestra needs much conducting anyway.

‘TANGLEWOOD ON PARADE’
July 28, 2020
The Boston Pops Orchestra, BSO and TMCO conducted by Andris Nelsons, Thomas Wilkins and JOHN WILLIAMS

https://www.bso.org/Performance/Detail/106571

‘JOHN WILLIAMS' FILM NIGHT FAVORITES’
August 15, 2020
The Boston Pops Orchestra conducted by Keith Lockhart
JOHN WILLIAMS, Host

https://www.bso.org/Performance/Detail/106542

'KEITH LOCKHART CONDUCTS THE EMPIRE STRIKES BACK'
August 21, 2020
The Boston Pops Orchestra conducted by Keith Lockhart
https://www.bso.org/Performance/Detail/106525

Empire Strikes Back live????? 

OMG I'M SO THERE!!!!! 

Odd to get that before SW, though. Or did they do SW this summer? I forget (And I already saw it in NYC) 

3 minutes ago, Jay said:

Empire Strikes Back live????? 

OMG I'M SO THERE!!!!! 

Odd to get that before SW, though. Or did they do SW this summer? I forget (And I already saw it in NYC) 

They did SW last summer, I was there. But as much as ESB is the best score of all time, I’m thinking of doing Film night this time. Long drive for me...

Empire was a bit disappointing to me actually. Might be actually the least enjoyable of live concerts with Williams music to date. It doesn't have the enthusiastic exuberance of the original score that makes it so infectious during live performance. Plus all the film music-mutilating edits in the film. It just doesn't translate that well to concert performance. I suppose it's fine and all but nowhere near as musically satisfying as Close Encounters, Harry Potter and the Philosopher's Stone, Jurassic Park, Star Wars or E.T.

Karol

3 hours ago, Jay said:

Why would it mean that? 

It might not mean anything; it’s just that in past years, whichever score they did live-to-picture in Boston, they repeated it at Tanglewood.  The Spring Pops concerts haven’t been announced yet, but I think it’s a safe bet TESB will be on the program at some point.  That’s an awfully long, complicated score to prepare for just one performance.

On 12/13/2019 at 1:50 AM, Will said:

Hmm, "hosting" again, that's not a great sign... Although he did conduct several pieces last time anyway.

I suppose "hosting" just means that he'll be there in person, and will conduct if he feels up to it. So no guarantees, but probably the standard for his concerts after Vienna I'd expect.

Note that this year he ended up conducting roughly one third (or perhaps a quarter) of Film Night, where he was listed as the host, but he completely skipped Tanglewood on Parade, where he was listed as a conductor. (I was thinking about getting a ticket for that, but luckily changed my mind and went to Film Night instead).

4 hours ago, crocodile said:

Empire was a bit disappointing to me actually. Might be actually the least enjoyable of live concerts with Williams music to date. It doesn't have the enthusiastic exuberance of the original score that makes it so infectious during live performance.

I had the same experience, mainly due do the lousy sound at my seats and all the edits.

On 12/13/2019 at 5:13 PM, rpvee said:

I wonder if he would show up for Empire. Didn’t he come out at the end of Star Wars last year?

He did come out last year after SW. I guess it’s definitely possible he would do it again.