Williams in Tanglewood in 2020

ricsim88

It seems that the brochure didn't upload properly. Can you try again?

EDIT: Nevermind. I can't believe this was announced 3 weeks ago, and none here noticed!

https://www.bso.org/brands/tanglewood/features/2020-tanglewood-season/2020-season-highlights.aspx

8 minutes ago, Will said:

Hmm, "hosting" again, that's not a great sign... Although he did conduct several pieces last time anyway.

My guess is if his health allows it, he will conduct the easy ones. It’s not like this orchestra needs much conducting anyway.

‘TANGLEWOOD ON PARADE’
July 28, 2020
The Boston Pops Orchestra, BSO and TMCO conducted by Andris Nelsons, Thomas Wilkins and JOHN WILLIAMS

https://www.bso.org/Performance/Detail/106571

‘JOHN WILLIAMS' FILM NIGHT FAVORITES’
August 15, 2020
The Boston Pops Orchestra conducted by Keith Lockhart
JOHN WILLIAMS, Host

https://www.bso.org/Performance/Detail/106542

'KEITH LOCKHART CONDUCTS THE EMPIRE STRIKES BACK'
August 21, 2020
The Boston Pops Orchestra conducted by Keith Lockhart
https://www.bso.org/Performance/Detail/106525

Empire Strikes Back live????? 

OMG I'M SO THERE!!!!! 

Odd to get that before SW, though. Or did they do SW this summer? I forget (And I already saw it in NYC) 

3 minutes ago, Jay said:

Empire Strikes Back live????? 

OMG I'M SO THERE!!!!! 

Odd to get that before SW, though. Or did they do SW this summer? I forget (And I already saw it in NYC) 

They did SW last summer, I was there. But as much as ESB is the best score of all time, I’m thinking of doing Film night this time. Long drive for me...

Empire was a bit disappointing to me actually. Might be actually the least enjoyable of live concerts with Williams music to date. It doesn't have the enthusiastic exuberance of the original score that makes it so infectious during live performance. Plus all the film music-mutilating edits in the film. It just doesn't translate that well to concert performance. I suppose it's fine and all but nowhere near as musically satisfying as Close Encounters, Harry Potter and the Philosopher's Stone, Jurassic Park, Star Wars or E.T.

Karol

3 hours ago, Jay said:

Why would it mean that? 

It might not mean anything; it’s just that in past years, whichever score they did live-to-picture in Boston, they repeated it at Tanglewood.  The Spring Pops concerts haven’t been announced yet, but I think it’s a safe bet TESB will be on the program at some point.  That’s an awfully long, complicated score to prepare for just one performance.

On 12/13/2019 at 1:50 AM, Will said:

Hmm, "hosting" again, that's not a great sign... Although he did conduct several pieces last time anyway.

I suppose "hosting" just means that he'll be there in person, and will conduct if he feels up to it. So no guarantees, but probably the standard for his concerts after Vienna I'd expect.

Note that this year he ended up conducting roughly one third (or perhaps a quarter) of Film Night, where he was listed as the host, but he completely skipped Tanglewood on Parade, where he was listed as a conductor. (I was thinking about getting a ticket for that, but luckily changed my mind and went to Film Night instead).

4 hours ago, crocodile said:

Empire was a bit disappointing to me actually. Might be actually the least enjoyable of live concerts with Williams music to date. It doesn't have the enthusiastic exuberance of the original score that makes it so infectious during live performance.

I had the same experience, mainly due do the lousy sound at my seats and all the edits.

On 12/13/2019 at 5:13 PM, rpvee said:

I wonder if he would show up for Empire. Didn’t he come out at the end of Star Wars last year?

He did come out last year after SW. I guess it’s definitely possible he would do it again.

• 1 month later...

Hi !

I have a question  : I want to go see John Williams at Tanglewood this year but I don't know wich concert is a better choice, Film night or Tanglewood on Parade ?

Thanks for your answer and have a nice day.

4 hours ago, Lamasseux said:

Hi !

I have a question  : I want to go see John Williams at Tanglewood this year but I don't know wich concert is a better choice, Film night or Tanglewood on Parade ?

Personally I would choose Film night. 

Same for me, are we going to the same wedding?? Lol!

Usually there's a Film Night in Boston as well. I was really hoping the new BSO season would be announced before Tanglewood tickets went on sale, so I could factor that in. Anyone have any thoughts on when they might announce the BSO season? Last year it was around the second week of February, I believe.

10 hours ago, Lamasseux said:

Hi !

Film Night probably has the much more interesting programme. Williams is only listed as a host for Film Night, while he's one of the officially listed conductors for Parade. But the situation was the same last year, and he ended up canceling Parade. For Film Night, chances are that he might conduct at least the encores, or even the last third of the programme like he did last year.

The spring pops season is available to view here

http://bso.http.internapcdn.net/bso/images/groups/SPOPS20_Groups_Brochure.pdf

It looks like no film night, but a SW concert in June. Not sure if it’s the whole season. Seems to not have been officially announced yet.

16 hours ago, Marian Schedenig said:

Film Night probably has the much more interesting programme. Williams is only listed as a host for Film Night, while he's one of the officially listed conductors for Parade. But the situation was the same last year, and he ended up canceling Parade. For Film Night, chances are that he might conduct at least the encores, or even the last third of the programme like he did last year.

Cancelling of Tanglewood on Parade was probably due to the ongoing session recordings of The Rise of Skywalker.

Williams isn't listed on the Pops 2020 brochure which leads me to believe he won't be around for some guest conducting.

11 hours ago, ricsim88 said:

The spring pops season is available to view here

http://bso.http.internapcdn.net/bso/images/groups/SPOPS20_Groups_Brochure.pdf

It looks like no film night, but a SW concert in June. Not sure if it’s the whole season. Seems to not have been officially announced yet.

They don't advertise it as Film Night, but there IS an all-Star Wars night:

STAR WARS: THE STORY IN MUSIC Keith Lockhart, conductor Wednesday, June 10, 8pm A long time ago (1977, in fact) ...in a galaxy far, far away, John Williams began an epic creative journey. Join Keith Lockhart and the Boston Pops as they perform the most extraordinary music from all nine movies while tracing the sprawling saga, gripping adventure, and unforgettable characters of Star Wars. This is a must for all Star Wars fans and film music aficionados!

Also, there's a Danny Elfman film night!  Never seen that before....

DANNY ELFMAN’S MUSIC FROM THE FILMS OF TIM BURTON Ted Sperling, conductor Tanglewood Festival Chorus, James Burton conductor Friday, June 5, 8pm Saturday, June 6, 8pm A two-time Emmy-winning production, Danny Elfman’s Music from the Films of Tim Burton is a live concert spectacular featuring the legendary composer’s celebrated film scores brought to life on stage by the Boston Pops and the TFC. The concert is enriched by Hollywood filmmaker Tim Burton’s stunning visuals-including his original sketches, drawings, and film clips-rendered in exquisite detail on the big screen. This show is a beloved exploration of the collaboration between music and storytelling in film with music from the hit films Charlie and the Chocolate Factory, Beetlejuice, Sleepy Hollow, Batman, Tim Burton’s The Nightmare Before Christmas, Edward Scissorhands, and more!

Thanks so much for sharing, ricsim88! That's very disappointing that there seems to be no Film Night in Boston. But the Star Wars concert sounds like it'll be great. Music from ALL NINE films! Yes please! I want to hear stuff from TLJ and TROS! And I've probably only heard anything from AOTC and ROTS in the arena tour, it would be great to hear Lockhart and the Pops perform those at Symphony Hall. I trust Lockhart to come up with a good program after the great selection on the "Lights, Camera, Music" album.

8 hours ago, Miguel Andrade said:

Cancelling of Tanglewood on Parade was probably due to the ongoing session recordings of The Rise of Skywalker.

Williams isn't listed on the Pops 2020 brochure which leads me to believe he won't be around for some guest conducting.

It seems complicated. I don't want to buy tickets to a John Williams concert if he is not directing, or if he cancel at the last minute.

As a long-time lurker, I've finally decided to pull the trigger on Tanglewood Film Night tickets this year. Previous comments seem to show that Williams as HOST listing tends to only conduct a third (from last year) or only the encore pieces. Is there a chance that he wouldn't conduct anything and just host or is it too early to know just yet? I want to prepare for the worst just in case but until then just be happy I'm able to go!!

Also, does anyone know the rules of the shed regarding cameras? Would I be able to bring my DSLR with me?

1 hour ago, RyanG_123 said:

As a long-time lurker, I've finally decided to pull the trigger on Tanglewood Film Night tickets this year. Previous comments seem to show that Williams as HOST listing tends to only conduct a third (from last year) or only the encore pieces. Is there a chance that he wouldn't conduct anything and just host or is it too early to know just yet? I want to prepare for the worst just in case but until then just be happy I'm able to go!!

Also, does anyone know the rules of the shed regarding cameras? Would I be able to bring my DSLR with me?

Assume only hosting and be pleasantly surprised if otherwise.  

12 hours ago, Tom said:

Assume only hosting and be pleasantly surprised if otherwise.  

Thank you for our answer. Would you be able to answer the last part of my question regarding cameras? I've never been and have not been able to find anything on it in the tanglewood rules

I imagine "host" means that he's officially confirmed to be there and tell some anecdotes, while leaving him the option of conducting a part of the concert if he feels up to it, without any specific obligation in case he doesn't.

9 hours ago, RyanG_123 said:

Thank you for our answer. Would you be able to answer the last part of my question regarding cameras? I've never been and have not been able to find anything on it in the tanglewood rules

I didn't have any problems using mine during the applause. As long as you don't take it out during the concert itself, I think you should be fine.

For reference:

https://photos.google.com/share/AF1QipNOW6jBDtNJME3RWRsVirMpP517YQHb_NcxUwVsG9_Kf7D-bYyg_e0ck3Q6LldnYA?key=TUFXVDFTcTVZVjg2MVpyQ2g0MVR4aUJ1cEJIWktn

On 2/10/2020 at 6:04 PM, Marian Schedenig said:

I imagine "host" means that he's officially confirmed to be there and tell some anecdotes, while leaving him the option of conducting a part of the concert if he feels up to it, without any specific obligation in case he doesn't.

I didn't have any problems using mine during the applause. As long as you don't take it out during the concert itself, I think you should be fine.

For reference:

https://photos.google.com/share/AF1QipNOW6jBDtNJME3RWRsVirMpP517YQHb_NcxUwVsG9_Kf7D-bYyg_e0ck3Q6LldnYA?key=TUFXVDFTcTVZVjg2MVpyQ2g0MVR4aUJ1cEJIWktn

Excellent to get your insight on that. What lens did you use for this? Thank you for your answer in advance

15 hours ago, RyanG_123 said:

Excellent to get your insight on that. What lens did you use for this? Thank you for your answer in advance

Sigma 18-300mm F3.5-6.3, on a Nikon D5100.

• 2 weeks later...

Tickets for the Boston Pops 'Spring Pops' at the Symphony Hall went live

https://www.bso.org/brands/pops/features/2020-spring-pops.aspx

No film night, but there is a few notable performances:

The Empire Strikes Back in concert

Danny Elfman's music from Tim Burton's films

Star Wars: The Story in Music

Got tix for Star Wars: The Story in Music. I look forward to seeing what Lockhart decides to perform. It would be great to hear seldom-heard things like Across the Stars, Anakin's Theme, Battle of the Heroes, The Rebellion Is Reborn, Anthem of Evil, or The Rise of Skywalker (no way they won't do this one, right??) I wonder if they might even use a choir?

12 minutes ago, Smeltington said:

Got tix for Star Wars: The Story in Music. I look forward to seeing what Lockhart decides to perform. It would be great to hear seldom-heard things like Across the Stars, Anakin's Theme, Battle of the Heroes, The Rebellion Is Reborn, Anthem of Evil, or The Rise of Skywalker (no way they won't do this one, right??) I wonder if they might even use a choir?

Would that be the first live performance of 'The Rise of Skywalker' ?

• 2 months later...

Looks like there will definitely be at least some (perhaps a lot) of JW conducting footage! And apparently the old stuff is free of charge - only the new performances recorded this summer will be to purchase. 

Screenshot 2020-05-16 at 4.54.44 PM.png

Screenshot 2020-05-16 at 4.55.00 PM.png

On 5/16/2020 at 11:57 PM, Will said:

Looks like there will definitely be at least some (perhaps a lot) of JW conducting footage! And apparently the old stuff is free of charge - only the new performances recorded this summer will be to purchase.

Is anybody able to record these video streams?