Taika Waititi to Direct New ‘Star Wars’ Film

Jay

4 hours ago, JTW said:

Vader moves and fights more ferociously in R1 than he does in Empire. 

He doesn't move all that much in R1. And "Lightsabers can block blaster bolts" wasn't invented until Jedi. It's not how much he moves it's that he doesn't stop.

For that matter, in Empire Darth Vader single-handedly took out HAN SOLO.

32 minutes ago, Tallguy said:

He doesn't move all that much in R1. And "Lightsabers can block blaster bolts" wasn't invented until Jedi. It's not how much he moves it's that he doesn't stop.

Are you comparing this scene - 

With this? 

16 hours ago, Chen G. said:

but it still makes it a little jaded when Owen doesn't "recognise" him in the original.

Try living on a desert planet on a moisture farm drinking blue milk for decades and we’ll see if you’ll recognize a droid you haven’t seen for many years and looks entirely different. ;-)

9 hours ago, Tallguy said:

More like he took away Luke’s single hand. :-D

12 hours ago, Chen G. said:

I actually think there's a value in seeing Vader REALLY tear through a bunch of rebels in Rogue One.

It takes away all the dramatic build up of the character from ANH to EMPIRE to JEDI. If we already know what he’s capable of in R1, we anticipate it in every subsequent film and we feel let down because Vader in the OT fights very differently and after seeing him in R1 it can feel lackluster. 
R1 should never have been made as a theatrical film, only as a video game or a comic book.

11 minutes ago, JTW said:

If we already know what he’s capable of in R1, we anticipate it in every subsequent film and we feel let down because Vader in the OT fights very differently and after seeing him in R1 it “can” feel lackluster. 

Now, that's very true! Rogue One is before Star Wars, and yet in this way and others, if one were to see it first, they'd see many of the fights and ground and aerial battles in the later films and go "so, what's the big idea?" Its anti-climactic.

2 minutes ago, Chen G. said:

Now, that's very true! Rogue One is before Star Wars, and yet in this way and others, if one were to see it first, they'd see many of the fights and ground and aerial battles in the later films and go "so, what's the big idea?" Its anti-climactic.

Exactly.

12 hours ago, Groovygoth666 said:

Are you comparing this scene - 

With this? 

I am, actually. If he had been confronting a singe rebel it would have gone the same.

R1 has the music and it has the attitude of Vader being an unstoppable Terminator. But he really doesn't move around that much. Certainly no more than in Empire. He swings his lightsaber a lot.

I seem to recall reading that when they made the scene they set the rule "Vader can't do anything we haven't seen him do before." And he doesn't. I suppose he blocks blasters with his lightsaber and that's a Luke thing.

Oh, and you don't watch R1 first. That's silly.

4 hours ago, Chen G. said:

I just see Rogue One as "A Star Wars Story" and not as required viewing, so I don't let it interfere in my enjoyment of the OT. It just exists the same way the comic books and novels exist to fill in story gaps.

As far as watching it before the OT being "anti-climactic", I guess I feel that way about the appearance of the AT-ACTs (bigger AT-ATs). It takes the excitement of seeing them for the first time on Hoth away.

5 minutes ago, Tallguy said:

Agreed. You watch it after, to answer the nagging question of how the Death Star was so easy to destroy. Kids today have it easy! Our generation wrestled with that question for decades! lol

1 hour ago, Mr. Hooper said:

You watch it after, to answer the nagging question of how the Death Star was so easy to destroy.

It's a massively complex project built over 20 years. It's amazing it held together as long as it did. (I like R1 a lot but I never liked that the exhaust port was on purpose.)

Titanic. Challenger. One of the Mars missions (I forget which one). The list goes on of big things taken down by small mistakes.

It's a small thermal exhaust port, a one in a jillion shot, Luke had to rely on the Force to make it but the Jedi were all thought to be extinct, they had turrets defending it... there's nothing to be explained there.

I just see Rogue One as "A Star Wars Story" and not as required viewing, so I don't let it interfere in my enjoyment of the OT. It just exists the same way the comic books and novels exist to fill in story gaps.

Exactly!

You watch it after, to answer the nagging question of how the Death Star was so easy to destroy. Kids today have it easy! Our generation wrestled with that question for decades! lol

Yeah, I remember the countless sleepless nights I had tossing and turning, thinking how the hell did the rebels get the plans to the Death Star and who the hell was Rogue One??!

The other nagging question that was bothering me for many years was that who is the space jockey in ALIEN, and why don't I know anything about him and his race?!

Or that was Deckard a replicant?! I mean come on, I HAVE TO know!

Thinking back I don't know how I even managed to survive and grow up without getting these extremely important questions answered. Thank god Disney and Ridley Scott eventually did. 

27 minutes ago, Holko said:

It's a small thermal exhaust port, a one in a jillion shot, Luke had to rely on the Force to make it but the Jedi were all thought to be extinct, they had turrets defending it... there's nothing to be explained there.

Thank goodness he succeeded too, or he would've faced a court-martial for not using his targeting computer!

It's funny that people say that Rey was too adept at using the Force too quickly, but it's fine that Luke wielded it after almost zero training to make this one-in-a-jillion shot... I'll just say it was his womp rat target training that won the day.

15 minutes ago, JTW said:

I mean come on, I HAVE TO know!

Well, in the absence of new ideas, it's been the fashion as you know to fill in the gaps and answer burning questions, such as where Han Solo got his lucky dice, and how he got his name. :sarcasm:

IMG_3342.jpeg

2 hours ago, Mr. Hooper said:

but it's fine that Luke wielded it after almost zero training to make this one-in-a-jillion shot...I'll just say it was his womp rat target training that won the day.

That and Obi-Wan was guiding him through the Force. Luke wasn’t going to use the Force for the shot, but Obi-Wan told him: “Use the Force, Luke… Let go!…”, then “Luke, trust me!”. Only then did Luke shut down the targeting computer and relied on the Force.

So Obi-Wan should get a posthumous medal? lol

But I prefer to think it was all Luke, and Obi-Wan just told him to have faith in himself and the Force.

Anyway, can Force Ghosts wield the Force? Is that a thing? Maybe George will decide tomorrow that it is...

4 minutes ago, Mr. Hooper said:

But I prefer to think it was all Luke, and Obi-Wan just told him to have faith in himself and the Force.

Well, yeah. That's pretty much the "moral" of the original film: "Believe in yourself" or, as Ben would put it, "Trust your feelings." A very 1970s notion.

Lucas did want to show the Force ghosts of Yoda and Ben protecting Luke in Return of the Jedi, and then at the end, both of them, with Anakin, would have returned in the flesh... I'm glad he didn't do that.

28 minutes ago, JTW said:

That and Obi-Wan was guiding him through the Force. Luke wasn’t going to use the Force for the shot, but Obi-Wan told him: “Use the Force, Luke… Let go!…”, then “Luke, trust me!”. Only then did Luke shut down the targetting computer and relied on the Force.

Wll, he did have a crap compoter. Not surprising, extrapolating Moore's law back to a long time ago...

3 minutes ago, Jurassic Shark said:

Wll, he did have a crap compoter.

Hey, this was state-of-the-art stuff in 1977! :D

image.gif

2 minutes ago, Tallguy said:

Yoda zapped a tree.

So Rian Johnson decided it's a thing. Not the same thing for me.

33 minutes ago, Jurassic Shark said:

I've got a T-shirt with that. Nice way to test whether people know SW.

And do they recognize it?

46 minutes ago, Mr. Hooper said:

So Obi-Wan should get a posthumous medal? lol

:-D

46 minutes ago, Mr. Hooper said:

Fine by me. Either way it’s awesome.

47 minutes ago, Mr. Hooper said:

Anyway, can Force Ghosts wield the Force? Is that a thing?

Not that I know of. But Obi-Wan pushes aside a bush and sits down a rock in Jedi. :-)

4 minutes ago, Nick1Ø66 said:

Outfit called Last Exit to Nowhere. They're got all kinds of shirts like this with obscure artwork from lots of genre films. 

It's where I got the John Williams shirt I wore at Tanglewood that got lots of compliments. I like their subtle approach to design that lets you fly your nerd flag while not looking like a walking ad for a movie.

It's not about the quality of the score. The other films mentioned are all sci-fi/fantasy genre films featuring Williams most recognizable themes, so HP & CE3K would seem to fit more.  

Anyway, yeah, it's probably just OCD on my part. :lol:

3 minutes ago, Nick1Ø66 said:

It's not about the quality of the score. The other films mentioned are all sci-fi/fantasy genre films featuring Williams most recognizable themes, so HP & CE3K would seem to fit more.  

I didn't say anything about the score. It's a huge film in the public's consciousness, and it has a great score with one of JW's most played and recognizable themes.

4 hours ago, Nick1Ø66 said:

MUSIC-BY-JOHN-WILLIAMS-REGULAR-FIT-TSHIR

That's the one. And with the Jaws font, so I just had to have it.

2 hours ago, Nick1Ø66 said:

That was my first reaction too. With all respect to Saving Private Ryan, I personally would've liked CE3K on the shirt instead, or HP.

22 hours ago, Tallguy said:

Yoda zapped a tree.

Obi-Wan told Luke, if he wants to face Darth Vader, he must do it alone, because he as a force ghost cannot intervene. Maybe he lied. He just had his parts full, again.

20 minutes ago, GerateWohl said:

I hate auto-correction.

It can be a nuisance. I usually proofread before posting because of it.

3 hours ago, Jurassic Shark said:

I didn't say anything about the score. It's a huge film in the public's consciousness, and it has a great score with one of JW's most played and recognizable themes.

Schindler's List? I've never once heard it played at Tesco. 

Classic FM seems to be quite fond of it, however. When they're not playing Carnival of the Animals or the theme from American Beauty.

4 minutes ago, Jurassic Shark said:

I was referring to played in concert.

Btw, you need to broaden your horizon regarding where to hang out. ;)

Oh, I don't only hang out at Tesco!

I pop into Sainsbury's all the time. And, when I'm feeling posh, Waitrose (or, if I feel like slumming it, ASDA).

44 minutes ago, Nick1Ø66 said:

Tesco

Sainsbury's

Waitrose

ASDA

Today I'm learning about supermarket chains in the UK. :)

If anyone's curious, here in my part of Canada we have Provigo, Super C, Metro, and Maxi. lol

19 minutes ago, Mr. Hooper said:

Today I'm learning about supermarket chains in the UK. :)

If anyone's curious, here in my part of Canada we have Provigo, Super C, Metro, and Maxi. lol

Don't get people from Florida started on Publix (if you've been to Florida, you know).

I'm intrigued... What's the deal with Floridians and Publix?

On 19/11/2023 at 3:18 PM, Tallguy said:

I am, actually. If he had been confronting a singe rebel it would have gone the same.

R1 has the music and it has the attitude of Vader being an unstoppable Terminator. But he really doesn't move around that much. Certainly no more than in Empire. He swings his lightsaber a lot.

I seem to recall reading that when they made the scene they set the rule "Vader can't do anything we haven't seen him do before." And he doesn't. I suppose he blocks blasters with his lightsaber and that's a Luke thing.

Ah okay, well context aside, it seems to mostly come down to the juxtaposition of R1's scene with ANH for most people.

And sure he didn't do anything that he hadn't done in the OT, but in R1 it's turned up to 11. The only time he really moves like that is in the final round of his duel with Luke on Bespin, so going from R1 into ANH it really stands out especially as he's not leading the charge onto the Tantative IV. Vader is certainly an intimidating figure in the OT, but only gets involved directly when it's one on one (so to speak) and will defer to Imperial officers and kill them when they fail. Some examples would be again his entrance in ANH, coming after the stormtroopers have cleared the way and facing Obi Wan when he sences that he doesn't plan to escape. In TESB coming in after AT-ATs have destroyed the shield generator so he can land closer to the base but still following the stormtroopers, after the Empire fails to capture the Falcon turns to bounty hunters, going to Bespin because Han and Co will be cornered. In ROTJ he only gets directly involved in getting Luke, who has already surrendered. So you're right that had it been a single Rebel the results would of been the same, but the Vader of the OT wouldn't have been there to begin with.