LOKI - show and score SPOILERS ALLOWED for aired episodes

Jay

• 2 weeks later...

Episodes 1 and 2 are a bit of a slow start but episode 3 genuinely makes me interested in what the MCU has to offer going forward. Makes the whole Kang thing interesting again. Haven’t felt like this about the MCU since probably Loki season 1.

I thought episode 1 was incredible. It starts right where season 1 ended, so that's great! It moves really fast and has high stakes.

Episode 2 is still really good, but was a bit slow at times and the stakes didn't feel as high.

But episode 3 was the best. Everything worked. There was some stuff with Miss Minutes of which I was surprised that Disney let them do that. And indeed it makes Kang/He Who Remains very interesting. I have my theories on the rest of the season but it would mean talking about big spoilers, so I won't do that.

It's really good! 

You're allowed to talk about spoilers on this forum.  That's what the spoiler block function is for!  Just make it clear you're talking about something beyond the aired episodes and nobody will open it that doesn't want to be spoiled

I'm rather disappointed by that second season

Episode 1 was a complete filler. The two only really good thing are the introduction of Ke Huy Quan and Holt's music. The cinematography is pretty ugly, there's a lot of awful shots, a couple of messed up CGI leading in pretty bad directed episode IMO. The plot is very thin, only delaying the beginning of the actual story of one episode. You don't really get Hiddleston and Wilson together which was one of the best thing of the first season

Episode 2 was a bit the same (slightly better) with no awful shots this time. The cinematography is still ugly (I know it will stay the same for the rest of the show but I can't stand it). The plot was poorly paced, not really starting at the end of episode 1 with a giant ellipse that should have been covered in an actual first episode. Sylvie becomes quite annoying which is a bit sad IMO. The end of the episode comes a bit out of nowhere with a poorly staged action scene, ruining once more the pace of the episode. Holt's music is still great though and it was nice to have some fun interactions between Mobius and Loki.

Episode 3. Another not really interesting episode, even though the main idea was terrific, the writing of the dialogue was quite redundant and poor. Sylvie's becoming even more annoying. Mobius and Loki almost do nothing together again (a shame). Majors performance is okay but the stuttering gets a little irritating when you're viewing the same dialogues second time. On the good side we have still Holt's music, great sets and costumes (but still the awful cinematography ruining them)

WOOOOOOW!

Episode 4 of season 2 was a rollercoaster.

After last week with the stuff they did with Miss Minutes I thought they couldn't top that. But this episode went beyond.

I am gonna talk about spoilers below, so beware if you haven't seen it yet.

The box kill scene was fantastic. The way Miss Minutes looked when it happened was so creepy. And I'm surprised that Disney let this show go that dark.

As for Miss Minutes' "death". That was cool. Very spooky. I love how menacing they were able to make a cartoon clock.

Then for the final moments with Victor Timely. I was so shocked when he turned to spaghetti. That was incredible and then that cliffhanger ending! Where is this seties going???

This felt truly like a season finale but we have 2 more episodes to go. Will this set up Kang as the villain he should be? Will have anything to do with Deadpool 3 or Secret Wars?

Personally, I feel that the timelines have been reset and all the characters are back to where they were taken from.

It feels like something very big is coming and I'm here for it.

This is the Marvel that I love! After Ant-Man 3 & Secret Invasion were downers, this is truly Marvel at the top of their powers. Now let's hope it continues beyond Loki.

Agree! Great episode. I feel Loki is the best Marvel has done in the last 3 or 4 years. It has its flaws, but it also has real emotions, and it feels like something is about to happen, making you more invested in the show and its characters, while in other recent Marvel stuff you never feel like there are any real stakes at all. I hope they can conclude the season on a high note, and finally establish Kang as the ominous and powerful villain he's supposed to be!

There haven't been any news on the music yet, so I guess they will do a single album when the season is over. I hope it's a long one!

3 minutes ago, Knight of Ren said:

There haven't been any news on the music yet, so I guess they will do a single album when the season is over. I hope it's a long one!

Holt has confirmed in a reply on twitter that there will be 2 volumes. (See below)

Spoiler

My theory:

This episode's ending I feel is gonna have repurcussions for the whole MCU and I think the final 2 episodes are gonna be big. So I wouldn't be surprised (because no music was released this week) if the first volume of music is from episode 1-4 and and the 2nd for the final 2 episodes.

Just a theory. It also could just be that the album wasn't ready yet

What an episode! God this is what I loved about the MCU. At the end of the day it’s a a giant serial series and Loki completely has that feeling. You actually feel the weight of what’s happening. By far the best Disney Plus Marvel show and to me it’s not even close, especially if this sticks the landing.

SPOILERS

Spoiler

This has got to be the most brutal piece of MCU media I’ve seen in a long time. The box scene for one was wild honestly gave me the chills (Massive “Nope” vibes with the UFO above the house) and the spaghettification of Victor Timely also left me stunned. I really liked him as a character and didn’t expect him to be taken out so fast. By the end of this whole Multiverse Saga we’ll look back and say he was probably the closest to a pure-hearted Kang variant.

Does this whole ordeal mean that He Who Remains’ plan is thrown out the window now? Or did he know this was gonna happen. I love theorizing this stuff and it’s why I used to be such a big fan of the MCU. Hopefully they can keep up this momentum and Jonathan Majors can return as Kang.

Not watching the show but looking forward to the OST, which should be coming now? DSN licensing updated their listing with Original Album Release Date 10-27-2023.

Burden of Wisdom
Face Through the Wall
O.B.
Slip in Time
Temporal Loom
Origins 1868
Evacuate TVA
One Shot
The Architect (Demo)
Zaniac
Jet Ski Whisper
Tricks
Ready for Round Two
Q&A
Minute Men Attack
Those Were Lives
Golden Olden
Chicago 1892
Time to Go
You
Your Girl
Giant Clock
Not the Man You Think
Delivery
Requiem for All Time

Total Duration 52:07

Looks like another incomplete soundtrack like the first season.

I was hoping for some season 1 bonus tracks but with these titles and length of album... probably no luck. (Maybe they're still here - I didn't bother listening to the samples on DSN's site.)

19 minutes ago, filip said:

I was hoping for some season 1 bonus tracks but with these titles and length of album... probably no luck. (Maybe they're still here - I didn't bother listening to the samples on DSN's site.)

Do you have a link for the site?

20 hours ago, JNHFan2000 said:

Do you have a link for the site?

disneymusiclicensing.com ?

20 hours ago, MedigoScan said:

I dont recall much from season1 that could be worth as a Bonustrack.... besides almost half of episode 3 lol.

I mean, there's a lot of underscore, maybe nothing exciting but like you said most of episode3 remains unreleased, (correct me if I'm wrong) including the ending cataclysm "1shot".

I quite wanted the timekeepers chamber fight from episode 4.

14 hours ago, JNHFan2000 said:

Yay! Can't wait til it pops up for me.

Oh wait, it's available on streaming but not qobuz. wut. Oh well.

Edit: Still not available for purchase on qobuz. Maybe it's a blessing cause I didn't enjoy it listening on youtube. I'll give it another go when vol2 comes out.

Volume 1 Chronological Order

Episode 1

Burden Of Wisdom (The previously on music for each episode)

Slip In Time

Jet Ski Whisper

Face Through The Wall

O.B.

Temporal Loom

Evacuate TVA

One Shot

The Architect (Demo) (not used, best fit here)

Episode 2

Zaniac

Tricks

Ready For Round Two

Q&A

Minute Men Attack

Those Were Lives

Episode 3

Golden Olden

Origins 1868

Delivery

Chicago 1892

Time To Go

Giant Clock

You

Your Girl

Not The Man You Think

Requiem For Time is actually used in Episode 4. It's heard after the main part of the credits and it plays over the credits till the end.

Not sure why it's on Vol. 1, that space could've been filled with some music from somewhere else.

I hope Vol. 2 is longer than these 50 minutes.

So far the music this season hasn’t impressed me as much as season 1’s did but maybe that’s just me. I think it might be the lack of my favorite theme (Sylvie’s theme) from almost the entire season or maybe it’s because it seems like they’re reusing a lot of tracks from the first season. Episode 4 had probably the best music so far in the season for me so that gives me hope that Holt is gonna put her all into these last 2 episodes.

This first album is a tough listen on the last third. Not a fan at all of that old-timey piano music even if it fits the episode.

Another great episode with great music as well.

SPOILERS

Spoiler

Seeing what the main characters’ lives were like on the timelines was very cool. Always wanted to see Mobius on a jet ski. My only problem with the whole branched timelines was the fact that Loki didn’t make it imperative that they were dying to Sylvie and therefore she didn’t go with him causing everyone to die. If he had just laid out the problem then they could’ve done it in time maybe.

However this problem might be removed because of the twist. It’s not science it’s fiction and Loki can’t solve the problem by bringing all the variants together (Which kind of makes the bulk of the episode pointless but anyways) so he instead solves it by realizing he’s the main character basically? Is Loki the god of the MCU or something? He says that it’s not what, when, or why but who. For some reason Loki can control time. Then that final shot with Loki time-slipping back to right before Timely died. Such a great way to end the episode. I thought the thing was gonna end with another downer cliffhanger but no it makes you even more hyped.

Overall this episode brought lots of stakes (The Loki series overall seems like the most important thing in Phases 4 and 5) and makes me very excited for the finale. This is great television.

5 hours ago, MaxMovieMan said:

Another great episode with great music as well.

SPOILERS

Hide contents

My only problem with the whole branched timelines was the fact that Loki didn’t make it imperative that they were dying to Sylvie and therefore she didn’t go with him causing everyone to die. If he had just laid out the problem then they could’ve done it in time maybe.

I think this is because Loki doesn't know that that is what will happen

I found the main idea of today's episode really good. It was great to finally really see Loki for an entire episode. I really wish this episode would have been use as the first of season 2 (with some obvious rewriting) instead of this late arrival. Anyway, like for the previous episodes I really miss Kate Herron and Arkapaw who had far more interesting images. Holt's music is still very good

That was nonsense. This show can't establish and stick to rules to save its life and takes the horribly dull approach of just making things happen

Loki reasonably assumes all the universes are ending, yet apparently that was him coping with not wanting to admit he wants to force these people into the TVA so he has friends? The fuck? And then Sylvie doesn't think that all the universes are ending until she sees things literally unravel in front of her. No one assumes the obvious so we can have some trite character conflict that is undone immediately when Sylvie comes up and says 'actually everything is ending' which yeah, no shit what did you think time ending was going to do.

I thought this was fantastic!!!!!

The way they played around with different moments from both S2 & S1 was really well done. Especially when Loki got a bit upset, Hiddlestone played that very well.

Then going back to He Who Remains and later Mobius was really cool. The scene with Mobius was very well done and had a great emotional hook.

Then for Loki to become the person at the end of time (costume change and all included) was brilliant. The visuals are some of the most inventive I've seen in a long time. The VFX team really brought their A-game!

Holt's music was fantastic, especially for Loki's big moment and the end credits. I really hope the 2nd volume is a big one!

Solid fan of the series too overall. Finale was a lot of fun and tbh…

Spoiler

leaves Loki in a Bran Stark-like state as he is now stuck in a tree full of knowledge.

The brass in that final track was incredible.

Yeah, great finale! Fitting and a great ending to both seasons, and I thought it had some pretty epic moments, especially during the final moments of the episode.

Spoiler

That image of Loki holding the branches together, and then the reveal that it's shaping into a huge tree feels like a direct reference to an element in Norse mythology, the Yggdrasil, the tree of knowledge, associated with both life and death, which makes sense, since now Loki is the now in control of the lives of all people in the different timelines

Pretty solid show, and one of my favorite things Marvel has done in the last few years. Holt's music was pretty great too, and especially the last couple of tracks showcased what a great composer she can be!

It was the best thing to come out of the MCU by a country mile for years. And the last ten minutes actually reminded me of an exchange of dialogue back in The Avengers

Spoiler

where Tony told Loki that there was basically no version of that where he came out with a throne, or coming out on top. While obviously not the intent at the time, the finale recontextualises that, and when you think a little bit more about it, you realise that Loki being where he is right now actually all comes down to actions that Tony himself took part in to begin with.

Hulk blasting that door open might be the single most significant event in the MCU now. Literally reshaped all reality.

Spoiler

Now that Loki is in charge and the TVA is destroying HWR variants I wonder if this might make it easier for them to shift away from the whole Kang thing if Jonathan Majors is guilty. It’s also a great set-up for Deadpool 3.

Just a small note on the music

That end credits music was sooo good in the way that it mixed Loki's Green Theme & the TVA/He Who Remains theme. It's quite subtle at points but it speaks to where Loki ends up in the series.

Finally a good episode for that second season (too bad it was only the last one). The plot was very interresting, acting is really good, Holt's score is great (although it has been the all time), VFX were okay (a couple of bad green screen but I guess that's what we're stick with now). The only weak parts are still the directing and cinematography but I wasn't expecting them to change that just for the finale.

Overall the series was really disapointing IMO, with a story dragging around to get to ultimatly this clever finale. In the end I think that a Loki movie would have been far superior, taking away the filler parts to get one strong movie.

Surprised there isn’t more chatter about this finale. Thought it was great… loved the show despite not really knowing 50% of what was going on lol. Great effects and acting. Music was top notch… was hoping the 2nd vol dropped but have to wait another week. Good stuff Marvel.

39 minutes ago, Raiders of the SoundtrArk said:

I've listened to the vol. 2 and it's a nice selection although it's missing the best cue from the whole show with that render of the Vth symphony. How could they not include it?

You mean "A Fifth From Beethoven" by Walter Murphy. It's not on there because it's not by Holt. It's a decade old cue

I didn't mind this new season of Loki but I have to say, like the majority of these Disney shows, it feels like a story for a fairly decent 2-hour movie stretched way too thin over this many episodes.

Karol