E.T. The Extra-Terrestrial - 40th Anniversary Edition from La-La Land Records

Jay

Isn't the as-written start of the credits missing? I believe they recorded three versions: that one, then one omitting the strings, then one omitting those and the sparkly woodwinds. As I recall, only the latter two have been officially released. I think the only place the original version has been (partially) heard is in footage of the recording sessions. Am I misremembering?

• 2 weeks later...
On 6/8/2022 at 3:16 AM, Andy said:

Steven’s Fix is the more emotional sweeping melody that underscores Elliot saying “Ouch” to E.T.  It replaces a quote of the “signal” motif in a more satisfying way.

Sorry for dragging this up from a while back, but I’ve looked at the (very helpful) second tab on the spreadsheet, and I’m still struggling to hear a what Steven’s Fix actually is. I’m on my LLL 40th anniversary edition, comparing:

Disc 2, Track 8, 10:50 to 11:16 (spreadsheet says Insert is used)

and

Disc 2, Track 19, 2:46 to 3:12 (spreadsheet says original version)

They sound the same to me, even when using the HL Adventures on Earth suite score (bars 227-233).

There is a much more obvious difference (woodwinds playing ‘signal’ compared to horn playing ?Friendship) after those sections (T8, 11:16 onwards versus T19, 3:12 onwards), but the spreadsheet references ‘approx 11:03’ and the rest of the time stamps are pretty much bang on, so I don’t know if my ears are shot or the time stamp’s just a little out.

Guidance appreciated…

Mark

Steven's Fix is the really emotional string bit that was in the film and on the original soundtrack album, then not in his concert version, the 1996 expansion, or the 2002 expansion, then we finally got from the first gen element on the LLL set in the main program.

Thanks, Jay. So why do those two segments I’ve time stamped above sound the same to me? LLL 2-8, 10:50-11:16 could reasonably be described as a’really emotional string but’, but isn’t it identical to LLL 2-19, 2:46-3:12?

Am I listening to the wrong segment (as I say, there is an obvious difference after the section around 11:03, but not during it)?

EDIT: Yes, I am! The main spreadsheet has time stamps that match mine (in the Notes column for The Departure). It was the reference for ‘at approx 11:03’ in the other tab that had misled me. Can I suggest this be changed to ‘at approx 11:20’?

Doesn't the main tab tell you exactly where the Steven's Fix insert is? 

11M4/12M1 w/ Steven's Fix Insert [approx 3:11-3:28 or 11:18-11:32] ; 1982 OST also features unused horn overlay [at approx 12:42]

That note means it's at 3:11 of the LLL track and 11:18 of the OST track. If you go to that same area in the 1996, 2002, or LLL bonus track, you'll hear what he originally  wrote instead.

Yes, thanks - see my edit, above. It was the slightly inaccurate time stamp on the second tab that had me listening in the wrong place. Apologies for troubling you all with my confusion.

Mark

• 1 month later...

Sorry to bump this but I need some info. I own La La Land's release and also the original OST and the expansion from 1996.

The edition of the original OST I own is this one https://www.discogs.com/es/release/7972091-John-Williams-ET-The-Extra-Terrestrial-Music-From-The-Original-Motion-Picture-Soundtrack

I wanted to know if there is any point keeping this release already owning La La Land one. I read at FSM board that the master from the original OST is better than the mix presented on La La Land but I am not sure, also I don't really know if mine is that DDD album they are talking about.

Any advice would be helpful on this issue, thank you!

Not talking of keeping for nostalgic reasons!

The original ET album included on tracks 1-8 of Disc 2 of the LLL set is not a rebuild from original elements, because the original element for the 5 cues recorded specifically for the album could not be located (most likely having burned up in the 2008 Universal fire). 

So, those 8 tracks do not come from the same element as all the other tracks* on the LLL set - They are a new transfer of the 1982 album master, so sound very similar to the CD you have.  There's no need to keep your old CD except for nostalgia.

*Except for the theme park cue, which is from a different source as well.

Digital, I believe.

The day that they recorded the 5 album pieces (and also the revised Stay With Me opening), they were recorded directly to digital.  Those 5 tracks (2,3,4,5,7) were combined with digital transfers of 2 analog-recorded film cues (1,6), and a digital recording of the analog film dub of the final 15 minutes of score in the movie (8) to make the album.  (Spielberg would ultimately remove the horn overlay heard in the album track before the film debuted).

The horn overlay is of course in the album area (because all 8 tracks come from the album master), and can also be heard (from from the same 1st gen element source as the rest of the LLL album) in the "The Departure (Alternate)" track

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1QpVGzKLbN19_Tw2lwEU7LVglmqL3ogBrUWhTVUwHjww

If I remember Mike had the OST album source master found through his network all the way at Warner Japan of all places. 

And Japan Warner had also pressed a more improved a near audiophile version in Japan (which I have) in the late 80's or early 1990's

1 hour ago, Amer said:

If I remember Mike had the OST album source master found through his network all the way at Warner Japan of all places. 

Wasn't the master found in UMG UK vaults?

1 hour ago, QuartalHarmony said:

So, if I’m following correctly, in old-fashioned SPARS code terms the OST is:

DDD for tracks 2-5 & 7

ADD for tracks 1 & 6

AAD for Track 8?

Yes! 

15 hours ago, Jay said:

The horn overlay is of course in the album area (because all 8 tracks come from the album master), and can also be heard (from from the same 1st gen element source as the rest of the LLL album) in the "The Departure (Alternate)" track

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1QpVGzKLbN19_Tw2lwEU7LVglmqL3ogBrUWhTVUwHjww

I love your work with the spreadsheets.