What are your gold, silver, and bronze Olympic medals for JW SW themes?

artguy360

Here are mine and why:

Gold = Leia's theme

Silver = Rey's theme

Bronze = Imperial March

Leia's theme decided a love theme. JW writes amazing love themes. This one also has a sublime, maybe GOAT, climaxes. The theme is beautiful and memorable from beginning to end. Rey's theme on the other hand is definitely not a love theme: it is a wonderful and fun character theme. Rey's theme has several distinct musical ideas that express aspects of her character in addition to the b-part. The whole listening experience is a journey in JW weaving these motifs together. The theme both perfectly captures Rey's character and is musically fun to listen to. I could go on and on about the genius of Rey's theme. The Imperial March is the funnest of all 3. It is so brash and the most memorable of all 3, but it can be too much with frequent listening and I listen to SW music A LOT! Yoda's theme is the next runner up.

So, I'm very curious, what are your Olympic medals of JW's SW themes and why?

Boring answers here, sorry in advanced. 

Gold - The Imperial March
Silver - Main Titles/Luke's Theme
Bronze - The Force Theme

Gold - The Imperial March

I don't really know what I can say here that hasn't been said many times, but has there ever been music (in film) more iconic and a more characteristically successful theme in portraying a character, vision or affiliation? If there is, it's probably something else by the Maestro himself (likely from Star Wars). The speed in which Darth Vader and The Empire are conveyed and delivered in the statements of this theme are truly spectacular in it's use and musical design. The problem here is I struggle to look at this and most of Star Wars objectively (especially The Imperial March). I am far too obsessed with this music too not be blinded by bias. 

Silver - Main Titles/Luke's Theme

Almost the same reasons as above, it encapsulates all the excitement I associate with all the Star Wars films and manages to achieve this very quickly when it’s stated. Would I feel the same if this was a piece of concert music without any film association? Hard to say, but I’d like to think so. I think the Main Titles probably receives most of its positive praise due to its melody, I think the orchestration becomes overlooked. If you listen to the music without the trumpets, you can see the point I’m trying to make. 

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1FISl_GaFwMIAxSYf55CEjiU4MCKeV7Tj/view?usp=sharing

Bronze - The Force Theme

One of the most beautiful pieces of music written for me, a ridiculous thing to claim considering how much beautiful music there is (even in the Star Wars scores alone), however this piece moves me emotionally unlike much else. There has to be honourable mentions as this list was very difficult to choose after the gold and silver awards (Across the Stars, Rey’s Theme, Leia’s Theme etc). It works in every textural iteration that Williams employs through its various uses. From the Solo Horn in Binary Sunset to the Trumpet section of The Throne Room it always conveys that sense of mystery, hope and subtle heroism. 

A very difficult exercise to take part in, but more than welcome. Thank you artguy360. 

Gold: Luke’s Theme/Summon the Heroes

Silver: Darth Vader’s Theme/ Olympic Fanfare

Bronze: Force Theme/Call of the Champions 

Luke’s Theme is really to me “the Star Wars” theme. When that movie first hit, EVERYONE was humming - no- singing that glorious melody for months and months. 

Are we talking about the themes themselves, or the concert suites that act as formal standalone statements of some of them?

If it's the former:

Gold - the Force theme

Silver - ESB love theme

Bronze - Rebel fanfare

If it's the latter:

Gold - Leia's Theme

Silver - Main Title (the long OST edit)

Bronze - Rey's Theme

Insert standard disclaimer here: This is a really tough thing to rank, I might give different answers another day, yada Yoda yada.

If we're talking about the themes themselves and how they are used in the movies, I'd go for:

Gold: Force theme

Silver: Han and Leia

Bronze: Luke's theme

If we're talking about the album tracks / concert pieces, I'd go for a very different list:

Gold: Princess Leia's theme

Silver: Luke and Leia

Bronze: The Imperial March

6 hours ago, Score said:

If we're talking about the album tracks / concert pieces, I'd go for a very different list:

Gold: Princess Leia's theme

Silver: Luke and Leia

Bronze: The Imperial March

When it comes to concert arrangements my number one would probably be Across the Stars. Then Imperial March and then Rey's Theme.