John Williams 2023 Tanglewood concerts

Falstaft

Oh my God...I am now thinking that there may be surprise appearances of JW in Salzburg and Lucerne and at other places where the BSO is playing Violin Concerto No. 2.

9 minutes ago, BB-8 said:

Oh my God...I am now thinking that there may be surprise appearances of JW in Salzburg and Lucerne and at other places where the BSO is playing Violin Concerto No. 2.

Nah, he has Japan coming up, and their tour schedule is pretty fast. Its not like taking an hour or two flight from LA to texas like that last time

42 minutes ago, WilliamsStarShip2282 said:

Nah, he has Japan coming up, and their tour schedule is pretty fast. Its not like taking an hour or two flight from LA to texas like that last time

Yes, can't see that happen, as cool as it would be to have Williams at Salzburg. At least, having his Violin Concerto performed there, at such a revered festival, is quite something. Unfortunately I won't be able to travel much this summer, otherwise I would love to be there, independent of Williams himself being present.

On 14/08/2023 at 3:16 PM, WilliamsStarShip2282 said:

Nevertheless, ASM's pos(t)ing on social media has prompted me to get tickets for the German premier of Violin Concerto No. 2 in Hamburg.

1 hour ago, DangerMotif said:

Based off my conversations with the BSO ticket office I think there’s a solid chance they play Duel Of The Fates at the Star Wars concert next Sunday.

Do tell!

8 hours ago, rpvee said:

Do tell!

They said they’ll be playing pieces with some videos of Williams recording them or film. He said that they played DOTF a couple weeks ago and said he he thinks they may do it again but he has no clue until the day of the concert and it was probably a guess.

A good photo for the caption competition thread.

1 hour ago, BB-8 said:

John Williams appears here during rehearsals of Mutter, BSO, Nelsons...and give some advice:

https://www.instagram.com/p/CwSt7fMglvl

image.png

I assume the odds of him showing up sunday are pretty low due to the Japan trip but you new know

1 hour ago, DangerMotif said:

I assume the odds of him showing up sunday are pretty low due to the Japan trip but you new know

If he's been micro-managing the cadenza he may wish to show up...

27 minutes ago, BSOinsider said:

This is correct, a specific wooden rostrum travels with the orchestra. There are multiple, but they look the same. 

Cool, so I might be seeing one next week in Hamburg.

Wed, 6 Sep 2023 - Boston Symphony Orchestra / Anne-Sophie Mutter / Andris Nelsons - Elbphilharmonie Hamburg - Elbphilharmonie

P.S. - TICKET ALERT!

Boston Symphony Orchestra

• 3 months later...

So I said I wasn't sure how I felt about the arrangement of 'The Asteroid Field' performed for Film Night...and put it down to just being surprised because I expected to hear the film version.

I tried listening to the radio broadcast online, and still couldn't get into it. It felt disjointed and like the original version was chopped up and shuffled around.

Well it seems it was just missing energy for me, and needed to be more uptempo, which I realized when I saw this performance:

Now this version might just be too uptempo, and on the frenetic side. But it at least doesn't feel disjointed, and the abrupt shifts in the music feel organic.

I guess what I'm saying is that I quite like the arrangement, if it's played with enough oomph!