General movie chitchat

Jay

Saw this on Facebook. These are some classic movies that got, say, "curious" names in Portuguese when they were released here. Here's my best attempt at translating them back to English so you can all appreciate the criativity of Brazilian localizers:

431601404_908586891269982_4413864015594391421_n.jpg

Ferris Bueller's Day Off = Curtindo a Vida Adoidado = "Crazily Enjoying Life"

Or something, this is literally the first and last time someone used the neologism "adoidado", which comes from doido = crazy).

The Hangover = Se Beber, Não Case! = "If You Drink, Don't Get Married!"

Anti-drinking and driving PSAs here use the slogan "se beber, não dirija", so they just replaced "dirija" (meaning "drive") for "case" (from the verb "casar", meaning to get married).

Teen Wolf = O Garoto do Futuro = "The Boy from the Future"

That's an 80s movie starring Michael J. Fox, so of course our creative translators had to tie it somehow to Back to the Future. Believe me, this wasn't the first nor the last time when a movie got a Brazilian title meant to evoke (and perhaps even confound the uninformed customer in a pre-internet time) a more successful movie.

The Graduate = A Primeira Noite de um Homem = "A Man's First Night"

Honestly, a better title than the original.

Evil Dead = Uma Noite Alucinante = "A Crazy/Insane Night"

A literal translation would be "An Hallucinating Night", but unlike in English this word in Portuguese is (or at least used to be back in the 80s) also a slang for "crazy" in a "fun" kinda way.

The Naked Gun = Corra que a Polícia Vem Aí = "Run that the cops are coming!" or "Run! The Cops are Coming!"

A funnier title than the original. Actually, what does "The Naked Gun" even mean?

The Sound of Music = A Noviça Rebelde = "The Rebel Novice"

I guess our translators back in the 60s were more moved by Maria's rebellious nature than by the songs.

Annie Hall = Noivo Neurótico, Noiva Nervosa = "Neurotic Groom, Nervous Bride"

I guess this says more about what audiences are going to see in this movie than just the name of Diane Keaton's character.

Some others that aren't on the meme:

My Girl  = Meu Primeiro Amor = "My First Love"

The funniest part is that the sequel is also called Meu Primeiro Amor - Parte 2 (literally My First Love - Part 2), which doesn't make any sense.

Home Alone = Esqueceram de Mim = "They Forgot About Me"

Much funnier than the original!

Hot Tube Time Machine = A Ressaca = "The Hangover"

Really, I'm not kidding.

Jaws = Tubarão = "Shark"

Yeah, this movie here is known by the name of the animal.

Total Recall = O Vingador do Futuro = "The Avenger from the Future"

Obvious reference to Arnold's other famous futuristic action movie.

Moonraker = 007 Contra o Foguete da Morte = "007 Versus the Rocket of Death"

007 movies could easily fill this entire post. Just for starters, every 007 movie here has "007" in the national title, unlike the original (which I always thought it was odd).

Airplane! = Apertem os Cintos, o Piloto Sumiu! = "Fasten Your Seatbelts, the Pilot Has Vanished!"

Funnier than the original. I mean, the name for a comedy movie is just Airplane with an exclamation mark? Lame.

Wayne's World = Quanto Mais Idiota Melhor = "The More Idiot, The Better"

I think this was an attempt from our translators to sell a crazier  and dumber comedy than the movie actually is. I never saw this movie, is Mike Myers's character really that idiot? They should have saved this title for a movie that came out a few years later...

Dumb & Dumber = Débi & Lóide = ...

See, I think this is one of the most faithful translations. In Portuguese, the word "debilóide" means stupid, moronic, idiot, loon, etc. So, they just divided the word in two and used it to name the main characters, who were renamed here from Harry Dunne and Lloyd Christmas to "Débi" and "Lóide".

This movie was a success here, so of course other studios wanted to ride its wave. So, the 1995 Chris Farley movie "Tommy Boy" became none other than "Mong & Lóide" here. It's the same principle than the Jim Carrey movie but replacing "debilóide" by "mongolóide" (a slang that is actually kinda racist).

Norway has a bunch of these too, and I believe there are several articles around translating the Norwegian titles back into English. Like JAWS is "Haisommer", which translates as "Shark Summer". It's funny.

On 12/04/2024 at 9:07 PM, Edmilson said:

A funnier title than the original. Actually, what does "The Naked Gun" even mean?

They didn't want to just name the movie Police Squad (the show it was based on), worried about people confusing it with the Police Academy films. So they came up with a big list of potential names, and picked The Naked Gun because it "promised so much more than it could possibly deliver."

The term originates from the wild west days (a gun without a holster) but I dunno if that is how the name got on the list. I always figured it was a nod to Get Smart's movie followup being called The Nude Bomb

I always assumed it was related to Lethal Weapon or something

I always figured it was a really over the top thing that also sounded like a hard boiled detective novel. If it's the Zuckers assume that it's something 20-30 years out of date.

1 hour ago, Tallguy said:

I always figured it was a really over the top thing that also sounded like a hard boiled detective novel. If it's the Zuckers assume that it's something 20-30 years out of date.

That would be great! Would love to see a comedy again that isn't too afraid to offend "current sensibilites" and thereby lose all its comic power. The original NAKED GUN movies had several skits that wouldn't work today. One of the reasons why I love them. Out of date for the win! :D

10 hours ago, Faleel said:

I always assumed it was related to Lethal Weapon or something

I never understood that one either. Is that something to do with Riggs being completely off his nut and a danger to others?

13 minutes ago, Richard Penna said:

I never understood that one either. Is that something to do with Riggs being completely off his nut and a danger to others?

It's a weapon. It's lethal in the hands of someone willing to use it.

36 minutes ago, GerateWohl said:

"Evil Dead" was called "Tanz der Teufel" in Germany, which means "Dance of the Devils".

Fortunately, it was called just EVIL DEAD over here. It got lots of press at the time, though, and was heavily censored. VHS pirate copies of the uncensored version were doing their rounds in the underground.

But I can talk about Norwegian renaming all day long. It was very common in the 80s and 90s, not so much anymore (mostly for kiddie films these days). One funny aspect is how we often prefaced many wacky comedies with the word "Hjelp" ("Help"). So you have:

NATIONAL LAMPOON'S VACATION -> HJELP, VI MÅ PÅ FERIE! -> HELP, WE MUST GO ON VACATION!

CHRISTMAS VACATION -> HJELP, DET ER JULEFERIE! -> HELP, IT'S CHRISTMAS VACATION!

SPINAL TAP -> HJELP, VI ER I POPBRANSJEN! -> HELP, WE'RE IN THE POP BUSINESS!

AIRPLANE -> HJELP, VI FLYR! -> HELP, WE'RE FLYING!

....and many more.

Loads of other things too, like DIE HARD being OPERASJON SKYSKRAPER (OPERATION SKYSCRAPER), DELIVERANCE being PIKNIK MED DØDEN (PICNIC WITH DEATH) and so on.

Slight rule changes at the coming Oscars for scores.

https://filmmusicreporter.com/2024/04/22/academy-announces-updates-rules-in-original-score-category/

The new rules state that “three composers will be allowed to receive individual statuettes if, in rare circumstances, they all contributed fully to the score. Previously, three composers were required to submit as a group. The rules now clarify the definition of a group as a recognized band. The shortlist will increase from 15 to 20 titles”.

On 18/04/2024 at 9:31 AM, Thor said:

Loads of other things too, like DIE HARD being OPERASJON SKYSKRAPER (OPERATION SKYSCRAPER), DELIVERANCE being PIKNIK MED DØDEN (PICNIC WITH DEATH) and so on.

Operation Skyscraper is a nice title for Die Hard. Here it was called "Duro de Matar", which literally means "Hard to Kill" (which I think it's kinda faithful to Die Hard). 

But yeah, a lot of movies here receive the "Operation" word in the Portuguese title. Skyfall for example became "007: Operação Skyfall" (literally "Operation Skyfall, which is rather funny because that isn't an operation at all) and Big Hero 6 became "Operação Big Hero".

1 hour ago, Edmilson said:

Operation Skyscraper is a nice title for Die Hard. Here it was called "Duro de Matar", which literally means "Hard to Kill" (which I think it's kinda faithful to Die Hard).

What was Steven Seagal's 'Hard to Kill' called there? 'Die Hard'? :)

1 hour ago, Edmilson said:

THE GLASS JUNGLE

5 minutes ago, Mr. Hooper said:

What was Steven Seagal's 'Hard to Kill' called there? 'Die Hard'? :)

"Difícil de Matar", or, in a literal translation, "Difficult to Kill" lol

Of course our translators wouldn't miss the opportunity to make a similar title to the Bruce Willis movie, maybe in order to try to trick some people into thinking it was Die Hard in the pre-internet days :lol2:

10 hours ago, Edmilson said:

"Algorithms" is a much scarier word that "focus testing" or even "decisions by the suits".

Every time there is a breakout success like Oppenheimer or Dune going back to Star Wars and certainly beyond everyone says "Oh! Someone took a big gamble and trusted the audience" or whatever. But then there is some weird thing that is an absolute disaster (like... Dune) and everyone says "Who thought THIS was a good idea?!?"

"So! You've got a new movie for me?" "Yes sir, I do!"

“Some new things frustrate me: algorithms, for example,” Blunt said.

Reminds me of the story a couple of years ago when the Culture Secretary of the UK had a meeting with Microsoft executives and reportedly asked them when they were going to get rid of algorithms.

12 minutes ago, Glóin the Dark said:

Reminds me of the story a couple of years ago when the Culture Secretary of the UK had a meeting with Microsoft executives and reportedly asked them when they were going to get rid of algorithms.

I learned the word algorithms when I was 13 from the novelization of Tron. Flynn would describe his chemistry with Lora by obnoxiously declaring "Algorithms!"

(Yup. I'm a nerd going way back now.)

I don't think no algorithm nor human could have predicted that Oppenheimer would be the monster hit it was. Heck, before 2023 begun how could anyone predict that Oppenheimer would outgross every Marvel and DC movie of the year? Indy 5, The Flash, those were the movies people were expecting to be highest grossing movie of the summer, not a 3 hour biopic set in WWII where most of the scenes is people in suits in tense discussions.

Not even the fact that it was a Christopher Nolan movie would be enough. His latest movie before Oppenheimer wasn't exactly beloved (Tenet). Also, his biggest hits either had Batman and/or action and sci-fi elements that theoretically made them closer to what we understand as a big blockbuster movie on these days.

Also, there are a lot of other factors that could have impacted in Oppenheimer's performance. Barbie could've moved to another date and the whole Barbenheimer thing would've never happened, the movie itself could have been "less good" and not have connected to the audiences as much as it did, Flash, Indy or M: I could've been the big summer movies (and the latter two in particular were thought by some to be the "Top Gun: Maverick of 2023" - another movie whose monstrous box office couldn't have been predicted by anyone)...

In other words: since 2022 (the first year post-pandemic to have actually a relatively normal release schedule) it became harder and harder to predict which movies are going to break out in a given year. Before Covid it was easy: just bet on the big Marvel movie of the year or the Disney live-action remake, Pixar sequel, etc. Now it's harder than ever.

For this year, people are expecting Despicable Me 4 and Deadpool & Wolverine to be the summer's biggest hits. But what if neither of them even reaches Dune 2? What if this summer's big hit is actually, I dunno, the new Planet of the Apes? Furiosa? Twisters?

6 minutes ago, Edmilson said:

I don't think no algorithm nor human could have predicted that Oppenheimer would be the monster hit it was. Heck, before 2023 begun how could anyone predict that Oppenheimer would outgross every Marvel and DC movie of the year? Indy 5, The Flash, those were the movies people were expecting to be highest grossing movie of the summer, not a 3 hour biopic set in WWII where most of the scenes is people in suits in tense discussions.

Not even the fact that it was a Christopher Nolan movie would be enough. His latest movie before Oppenheimer wasn't exactly beloved (Tenet). Also, his biggest hits either had Batman and/or action and sci-fi elements that theoretically made them closer to what we understand as a big blockbuster movie on these days.

Also, there are a lot of other factors that could have impacted in Oppenheimer's performance. Barbie could've moved to another date and the whole Barbenheimer thing would've never happened, the movie itself could have been "less good" and not have connected to the audiences as much as it did, Flash, Indy or M: I could've been the big summer movies (and the latter two in particular were thought by some to be the "Top Gun: Maverick of 2023" - another movie whose monstrous box office couldn't have been predicted by anyone)...

In other words: since 2022 (the first year post-pandemic to have actually a relatively normal release schedule) it became harder and harder to predict which movies are going to break out in a given year. Before Covid it was easy: just bet on the big Marvel movie of the year or the Disney live-action remake, Pixar sequel, etc. Now it's harder than ever.

For this year, people are expecting Despicable Me 4 and Deadpool & Wolverine to be the summer's biggest hits. But what if neither of them even reaches Dune 2? What if this summer's big hit is actually, I dunno, the new Planet of the Apes? Furiosa? Twisters?

As the man said:

Nobody knows anything. Not one person in the entire motion picture field knows for a certainty what’s going to work,” he continued. “Every time out it’s a guess and, if you’re lucky, an educated one.

Maverick being a huge hit in the summer of '22 and MI : Dead Reckoning failing to be last summer (especially unexpected for a franchise that has delivered success after success) illustrates 'nobody knows anything' quite well, I think.  

16 minutes ago, Sweeping Strings said:

Maverick being a huge hit in the summer of '22 and MI : Dead Reckoning failing to be last summer (especially unexpected for a franchise that has delivered success after success) illustrates 'nobody knows anything' quite well, I think.  

Yeah, the tepid response to 'Dead Reckoning' had everybody scratching their heads.

As for 'Oppenheimer,' I also think the whole "Barbenheimer" thing that went viral on social media played a significant role in its success. It piggybacked on the buzz around 'Barbie.'

Paramount was mind-numbingly stupid when releasing M: I Dead Reckoning. They released their mega expensive movie (almost $300 million budget) that absolutely depended on the "you must see this on an IMAX screen" kind of buzz one week before Oppenheimer, which would also use IMAX.

Instead, why didn't they release the movie in a less crowded date? Like October or November or whatever, those months were pretty devoid of blockbusters.

In retrospect, I guess they were so confident with the mega success of Maverick that they thought "Heh, we have another Tom Cruise action epic, everyone is craving that after Maverick! Nolan with his stupid WWII drama biopic won't be a match for us! Of course IMAX will prioritize our movie instead of Oppenheimer!"

They didn't count on two factors:

1. IMAX's loyalty to Nolan (despite Cruise's desperate appeals to them); and
  2. The whole Barbenheimer thing. 

This story only illustrates how unpredictable movie audience has become post-pandemic.

In 2022, six months after the success of No Way Home Hollywood thought people wanted more Marvel multiverse epics featuring the return of older characters played by their original actors. Then, to the surprise of anyone, Maverick outgrossed Multiverse of Madness.

So, in 2023 Hollywood thought people wanted Tom Cruise action movies (Dead Reckoning), the return of beloved 80s heroes (Indy 5)... and of course more superhero multiverses (The Flash) No one thought the two biggest movies of that summer were going to be a fantasy feminist comedy and a World War II drama.

For 2024, the main bets based on conventional wisdom build throghout the 2010s are on Despicable Me 4 and Deadpool & Wolverine. Will these bets pay off and so this will be a rather "boring" summer (in terms of not having a surprise hit)? Or will some movie that no one thought would be "big" is going to make a billion dollars? And if so, which one? 

8 hours ago, Edmilson said:

So, in 2023 Hollywood thought people wanted Tom Cruise action movies (Dead Reckoning), the return of beloved 80s heroes (Indy 5)... and of course more superhero multiverses (The Flash).

Despite its aging hero, an Indy 5 could've been a big success, if the end result hadn't sucked so damn hard.

(Countdown to @Jurassic Shark's rebuttal...)

image.gif

47 minutes ago, Edmilson said:

image.gif

13 hours ago, Edmilson said:

Definitely won’t be Twisters, if that trailer was anything to judge the movie by. Alas. 

So Emily Blunt says that there are a few things that frustrate her?

Yeah, well, there's a few things that "frustrate" me, about Emily Blunt... her acting ability, for instance ;)

Agreed, about M:I-DR. If it had been released last Christmas, it would have cleaned up. The only serious competitor was WANKA.

It's interesting how such unexpected films became hits, and those expecting to be hits, weren't:

A film set in a 1950's high school with a cast of 30 year olds playing teenagers, and based on an off-Broadway play, vs. an A-list disaster movie about honey-makers.

A romantic drama vs. some silly kids' movie set in outer space.

A science fiction epic starring the actor de jour vs. a film about a broken family, where the middle child discovers an alien in a forrest.

It just goes to show.

45 minutes ago, Naïve Old Fart said:

So Emily Blunt says that there are a few things that frustrate her?

Yeah, well, there's a few things that "frustrate" me, about Emily Blunt... her acting ability, for instance ;)

Have you seen the movies she's in? You don't think she's adequate for these type of flicks? 

a-quiet-place-poster.jpg

MV5BMTc5OTk4MTM3M15BMl5BanBnXkFtZTgwODcx

Adequate for, or adequate in, Alex.

Like most actors, she has a decent am-dram ability, but, like most jobbing actors, she's unable to rise above the source material.

That's ok, because few actors are.

To be fair to Ms. Blunt, I don't think that she has had a role that has really challenged her, which says more about the roles that she's offered, than her acting ability.

Is it me, or is the poster for A QUIET PLACE, a direct rip-off of PANIC ROOM?

Speaking of actresses that aren't believable, I had a lot of trouble with Zendaya in the Dune movies. I kept thinking: "C'mon, Villeneuve, you could've squeezed a couple more takes out of her."

She's been fine in lighter fare like the Spider-Mans, but her performance in Dune lacks conviction and credibility IMHO.

Just now, Jurassic Shark said:

Dune is lighter fare.

Not as light as Spider-Man. :)

‘Avengers’ Directors Say Marvel’s Recent Problems Aren’t Due to Superhero Fatigue but a ‘Big Generational Divide About How You Consume Media’

Filmmakers Joe and Anthony Russo were responsible for some of Marvel’s biggest box office hits, from “Captain America: Civil War” to “Avengers: Endgame,” but they don’t necessarily believe superhero fatigue is to blame for the studio’s recent struggles. Marvel had a tough 2023 with two flops: “Ant-Man and the Wasp: Quantumania” and “The Marvels.” Speaking recently to GamesRadar+, the directors said that Marvel’s current issues boil down to the changes in how people absorb media: It’s a Hollywood-wide issue, not just a Marvel one.

“I think it’s a reflection of the current state of everything. It’s difficult right now, it’s an interesting time,” Joe Russo said. “I think we’re in a transitional period and people don’t know quite yet how they’re going to receive stories moving forward, or what kinds of stories they’re going to want.”

“There’s a big generational divide about how you consume media,” he continued. “There’s a generation that’s used to appointment viewing and going to a theater on a certain date to see something, but it’s aging out. Meanwhile the new generation are ‘I want it now, I want to process it now’, then moving onto the next thing, which they process whilst doing two other things at the same time. You know, it’s a very different moment in time than it’s ever been. And so I think everyone, including Marvel, is experiencing the same thing, this transition. And I think that really is probably what’s at play more than anything else.”

Joe Russo noted that the new generation of moviegoers communicates largely though “memes and headlines with nobody reading past two sentences, so everything’s 100 characters or less – or 10-second videos on social media you swipe through.”

“I think that the two-hour format, the structure that goes into making a movie, it’s over a century old now and everything always transitions,” he added. “So, there is something happening again and that form is repetitive. But it’s hard to reinvent that form and I think this next generation is looking for ways to tell their own stories that service their own sort of collective ADHD.”

Anthony Russo told GamesRadar+ that superhero fatigue has nothing to do with superheroes in particular; it’s just “fatigue in general.”

“The superhero fatigue question was around long before the work we were doing,” Anthony continued. “So, it’s sort of an eternal complaint, like we always used to cite this back in our early days with superhero work. People used to complain about westerns in the same way but they lasted for decades and decades and decades. They were continually reinvented and brought to new heights as they went on.”

https://variety.com/2024/film/news/avengers-directors-marvel-flops-superhero-fatigue-1235985270/

In other words: if you think my generation is bad, wait until today's kids, who are growing up with 10-second videos on TikTok or whatever, become adults. They don't have the patience to watch something longer than 20 seconds before swiping to another video, imagine getting out of their house (oh, the horror!) to sit in a dark room filled with strangers to watch a 2, 3 hour movie.

1 hour ago, A24 said:

So it's not the movies but the audience that is mediocre. I see!

You think the solution for young people's preference to the quick gratifications of social media is (what you think are) better movies?

I mean, I know you didn't like the movie, but isn't that basically what Oppenheimer accomplished? Made a bunch of young people in their 20s to watch a 3-hour biographical drama about World War II?

Even Scorsese called Oppenheimer the savior of movie theaters or something.