The Empire Strikes Back had two endings.

JoeinAR

https://www.giantfreakinrobot.com/ent/empire-strikes-2-endings.html

My sister and I discussed this recently.  It is the movie we saw at the theatre more times than any other film. 

Talk amongst yourselves.  

Jay move this jf you must but the truth was out there after all.

Giant Freaking Robot isn't the most trustworthy of sources (in fact, not trustworthy at all) but I do believe they discuss reshooting the ending of TESB on the Star Wars website.

https://www.starwars.com/news/empire-at-40-star-wars-the-empire-strikes-back-ending-changes

Most of the reshooting was done to clarify things and not to add an entirely new ending.

32 minutes ago, Jay said:

Huh?

I just figured it had already been discussed in another thread.

17 minutes ago, Giftheck said:

Giant Freaking Robot isn't the most trustworthy of sources (in fact, not trustworthy at all) but I do believe they discuss reshooting the ending of TESB on the Star Wars website.

https://www.starwars.com/news/empire-at-40-star-wars-the-empire-strikes-back-ending-changes

Most of the reshooting was done to clarify things and not to add an entirely new ending.

I noticed the ending changed. In 1980 that basically never happened.

7 hours ago, JoeinAR said:

I just figured it had already been discussed in another thread.

I noticed the ending changed. In 1980 that basically never happened.

It may not have been discussed in this thread, but this news is no longer a surprise to most of us, as this alternate ending was discussed in detail in the 2010 J.W. Rinzler book, ‘The Making of the Empire Strikes Back.’  Die-hard Star Wars fans have known about the alternate ending long before the Rinzler book came out as discussed in these threads from the website, ‘Original Trilogy’ dating back to 2005.

http://originaltrilogy.com/topic/ESB-70mm-Soundtrack-1980-in-theatre-recording/id/12501/page/1
http://originaltrilogy.com/topic/Hopefully-the-last-70mm-vs-35mm-ESB-audio-differences-thread/id/14128/page/1
http://originaltrilogy.com/topic/70-mm-print-of-the-Empire-Strikes-Back-Differences/id/2321/page/1

Also, before David Morgan became a TV-news producer and author, he was a pre-teen film-music geek who snuck in a tape recorder, which at the time was no bigger than the size of a shoe-box, inside a movie theater and made an audio recording of an ESB screening during the first four weeks of its release.  The cut that was shown during that time period had the alternate ending—where you do not hear the Luke theme from the ‘Yoda and the Force’ cue heard over the start of the Rebel Fleet scene and there is no mention of Jabba the Hut or 'that bounty hunter".  Some years later, Morgan had the recordings digitized and shared it on his blog.
http://wideanglecloseup.com/starwarsaudio.html

A fan made this re-creation of the alternate ending with the audio-theatre recording.

10 minutes ago, SilverTrumpet said:

In that recording does it reveal that it actually was "Luke, I am your father" and it was just changed after the theatrical run?

That line is in that recording.

I saw it the week of the 21st, so I might have seen the first version. I can't really be certain because the only two things I definitely remember are that Luke said they were going to Tatooine and that you could see Luke and Leia through the window (which was a big deal back then, FX-wise). Both of those details are in both versions.

I know we didn't see it opening night, and the first night we went we couldn't get in. I'm GUESSING that we saw it by Saturday.

Then there's the fabled "second grappling hook throw" after Luke supposedly missed the first one. The "throw and miss"  that many people swear they saw in select cinemas, May '77.

Mandela effect? Mass delusion? Or, more likely, a conspiracy that goes straight to the dark heart of Lucasfilm?

Discuss.

If people who where invited to pilot screenings starts to speak on the web, it's the beginning of a long and very dull period.

So, this is where the two williams finale cues (short and long version) came to be? Or not?

with these modifications happening from time to time… is is posible that jurassic park had an early version with the triceratops gizzard stones explanation? Or mandela effect…

The special edition soundtrack has a tracked bit in the finale?

I thought the anthology version (6:18) was a shorter version and the special edition (6:28) the longer version...

1 hour ago, Luke Skywalker said:

So, this is where t

he two williams finale cues (short and long version) came to be? Or not?

Of course not. Williams recorded the music months before, around Christmas 79! 

When they added the three new shots for the June 80 release they just tracked a few seconds of "Yoda raises ship" to the beginning of the scene. 

Williams didn't record a long and short version of the finale.

The shorter version that appeared on the 1993 anthology set is just a film edit (some tracks on that box set are pulled from the film stems)

He did record two different endings to the cue, but the alternate ending never appeared in any version of the movie (or any album)

What do you mean?  Isn't the version on the 1993 anthology set already identical to what's in the film?

2 minutes ago, Jay said:

What do you mean?  Isn't the version on the 1993 anthology set already identical to what's in the film?

I was referring to the finale cue clean ending, it doesn't include the ending, it segues into the end credits.

17 hours ago, MedigoScan said:

I myself recall a rumor that supposedly had the rebel fleet all fly off into the distance at the ending... for some reason.

You're probably thinking of the ending of The Last Crusade. 

17 hours ago, MedigoScan said:

I myself recall a rumor that supposedly had the rebel fleet all fly off into the distance at the ending... for some reason.

They're probably thinking of the RotJ shots where they jump to hyperspace, very similar setup of the fleet from the back.

4 hours ago, Jay said:

Williams didn't record a long and short version of the finale.

The shorter version that appeared on the 1993 anthology set is just a film edit (some tracks on that box set are pulled from the film stems)

He did record two different endings to the cue, but the alternate ending never appeared in any version of the movie (or any album)

I'd heard of this alternate ending before, but never actually gotten to hear it until now! Thank you, @Jay.

5 hours ago, Jay said:

It's not. I tried to get both versions to sync up to the film to no avail. Whatever set of takes were used in the film as far as I can tell remain unreleased, or at least sections of them.

1 hour ago, Luke Skywalker said:

So… i may have been onto something?

No.

All the music was recorded at the same time, around Christmas 79, long before any additional shots.