What's a score you wished John Williams did?

Too bad Williams didn’t score at least one more Jurassic Park film. I’m sure he would’ve gone down some interesting route for JP3. 

On 10/07/2023 at 2:20 AM, mrbellamy said:

Lowest budgeted movie he's scored since Rosewood 

Rosewood didn't seem like a low budget film to me.

Hmm, I see at imdb its budget was $25 million. Is this low? I don't know...

1 hour ago, Brónach said:

not even Starship Troopers? Flesh + Blood? Wind?

Not a fan of Starship Troopers (film or score), and didn't get too much into what I heard of Flesh and Blood.  Haven't heard Wind

• 2 weeks later...
2 hours ago, Darth Mulder said:

Kubrick originally wanted Williams as the composer for The Shining. It's in the trivia section on IMDB. Is this information true?

I've never heard that until now but I'm leaning towards "I don't think so".  

I'm adding Pacific Rim to my wishes of Agora and Gladiator and Pirates of the Caribbean

On 26/06/2023 at 10:59 AM, Chen G. said:

I disagree. Williams' villain music - stuff like the Imperial March or even Duel of the Fates - is too rhythmically propulsive. It makes it feel groovy. I remember back in 1980 Williams said he wrote a new theme for Vader and the Empire that's "evil but fun."

That kind of treatment of evil - "evil but fun" - would not work for The Lord of the Rings.

it's possible you were looking for JW's imaginary evil music for LOTR in the wrong spots, but we can't really know.

I think it's also possible that Shore's intense need to sound old and "simple" may be counterintuitive to JW's sensibilities in that time period, but that's why i find this idea fun.

1 hour ago, Brónach said:

I think it's also possible that Shore's intense need to sound old and "simple" may be counterintuitive to JW's sensibilities in that time period, but that's why i find this idea fun.

Certainly, I would say.

Of course that makes it fun to imagine, though!

it's true that his famous music can be very cheeky (which i really enjoy), but he has a lot of music going into the opposite direction, so i don't know.

"John look, this is a historical-religious-war drama"

21 hours ago, Darth Mulder said:

Kubrick originally wanted Williams as the composer for The Shining. It's in the trivia section on IMDB. Is this information true?

Maybe Kubrick temped his movie with the score from Images? Or maybe even Jaws?

35 minutes ago, Edmilson said:

Maybe Kubrick temped his movie with the score from Images? Or maybe even Jaws?

That doesn't seem in line with the movie Kubrick made.  At most maybe a producer pitched the idea at the early stages

On 25/7/2023 at 6:02 PM, Darth Mulder said:

I remember reading that Kubrick was looking for a big commercial success, and thought The Shining would be it. Maybe he thought that hiring Williams would add to its commercial appeal...

That said, I've never actually read anything confirming that he was ever seriously considered.

• 1 month later...

DANGEROUS LIAISONS.

The score that we have is good, but doesn't really capture the tragic undercurrents of the story.

The tragedy of JANE EYRE; the sexuality of DRACULA; the playful seductiveness of THE WITCHES OF EASTWICK.

That's Oscar ™ #5, right there.