New Ghent Festival CD - Laurence Rosenthal

JNHFan2000

1 hour ago, Cameron007 said:

No new Young Indy material? Yawn.

It claims there is:

as well as several previously unreleased tracks, including the suite from the documentary Michelangelo: The Last Giant (for which he won his first Emmy Award) and the suite from Young Indiana Jones and the Hollywood Follies.

Is that incorrect?

Yavar

Honestly, I must admit my total lack of knowledge about Laurence Rosenthal.

It's definitely a great opportunity to explore his music!

Two of his scores are on the AFI's 250 list: "The Miracle Worker" (1962) and "Becket" (1964).... Hmmm...

2 minutes ago, Tom said:

No, but you get to hear what was better than Williams's Meteor score.  

But that's already been released:

1 minute ago, Bespin said:

Do you really think I'm the kind of person who'll discover a composer by listening to Youtube videos? :huh:

Get the album then. It's a great score.

3 minutes ago, Marian Schedenig said:

Get the album then. It's a great score.

"Clash of the Titans" (1981) appears to be the only movie from the list that I have seen, most likely on television during the early 80s when I was quite young. I've always had a fondness for that film.

I had CLASH on CD once, as well as selections on compilations (like The Great Fantasy Adventure Album), but it was a little too bombastic for my taste, so I think I traded it off.

MEETINGS WITH REMARKABLE MEN is a fairly recent, semi-rare Rosenthal discovery of mine that would have been nice to have on the CD. But probably a bit difficult with the alternative ensemble.

• 1 month later...
On 25/10/2023 at 8:10 PM, JTWfan77 said:

@Film Fest Ghent will this be available for digital download and streaming?

Yes, the album will become available online early November. 

Here is some more footage from this year's World Soundtrack Awards, including a very brief interview with Laurence Rosenthal:

• 2 weeks later...

I don't have lots of Rosenthal in my library, but 'Clash of the Titans' is an all-time fave. Besides 'Young Indy', I also picked up 'Peter the Great' and 'Anastasia, The Mystery of Anna'.

• 4 weeks later...
On 26/11/2023 at 5:34 PM, Omen II said:

This CD therefore is a most welcome summary of some of Rosenthal's most notable works for film and television.  If you love top quality orchestral film music, I cannot recommend this recording highly enough.

Thank you!

Here are two Laurence Rosenthal pieces from the World Soundtrack Awards concert: the Suite from "Ireland, April 1916" and the title theme from The Young Indiana Jones Chronicles: