96th Academy Awards (2024 Oscars for 2023 films)

Jay

6 hours ago, Bayesian said:

I like you, Edmilson, so it’d be a crying shame if I had to (regretfully, unwillingly) block you for a month so I don’t have to see Boasty “I slaved for a year and went to all kinds of trouble to hire half of Europe to play my shitty music” McBoastface when I browse the forum. A real shame, because I think the odds JW gets nominated are well better than even.

I have to admit, a week ago, when I made that post, I was fairly certain that Williams would not make the cut. DoD wasn't beloved by critics, wasn't a box office success, and if it was nominated it would be on the basis of Williams' prestige on the Academy alone. But they might think that they gave him "one last nomination" for respect for his career last year and for a much better received movie.

But now... I don't know. This year was so pitiful that it wouldn't be surprising to see him sneaking out a nomination. All will depend of how much campaigning the studios will make during this month, and I don't know how much Disney and Williams are willing to invest on DoD... Either way, I'd better prepare myself to change my avatar for a picture of Mr. "My score is performed by 500 musicians and yet somehow it sounds like it was all synth".

• 2 weeks later...

Has anyone listened to all the 15 scores in the short list?

Which are worth listening to besides these that I have listened (Society of Snow, Boy and Heron, Poor things, DOD, Oppenheimer) ?

6 minutes ago, filmmusic said:

Has anyone listened to all the 15 scores in the short list?

Which are worth listening to besides these that I have listened (Society of Snow, Boy and Heron, Poor things, DOD, Oppenheimer) ?

I have, yes. Quick rundown:

Disliked SOCIETY OF THE SNOW.

BOY AND THE HERON was okay, but too stripped down.

POOR THINGS was a tad too bizarre for me.

DIAL OF DESTINY is good, but also plagued by some contemporary "cellularisms" in JW's style.

OPPENHEIMER has some good cues (to my amazement, as I dislike Göransson), but also a lot of non-descript stuff. Really disliked the film too, so that doesn't help.

The best score on the list is RUSTIN. Old-school jazz, like it came from a 60s TV show. Wonderful work by Marsalis, and a runner-up on my own top 10 of the year.

I liked the pop score to BARBIE, but I hated the film, so a difficult situation for me.

SALTBURN and NAPOLEON have a couple of good cues, but also a lot of underwhelming stuff.

ELEMENTAL was typical Newman, but without any definition or soul, IMO.

SPIDER-MAN, I listened to once and didn't make an impact. But I'm allergic to superhero stuff these days, so probably didn't listen as intently as I should have.

KILLERS OF THE FLOWER MOON works great in context (the film is beautifully spotted), but less enthused as a stand-alone listen.

I know I sampled ORIGIN, AMERICAN FICTION and NYAD, but can't remember a single note, that's how little impact they made.

That's for the titles in the first post. Scores in my own running include RUSTIN, DIAL OF DESTINY, NAPOLEON and SALTBURN, but I don't think any of them will make the top 10. So many other good scores ignored by the Oscars that are much, much better. I will not divulge these, however, until I've finished sampling the scores of the year and made my podcast episode.

Thank you @Thor.

Although, I was talking about this list here:

https://www.billboard.com/music/awards/2024-oscars-best-original-score-shortlist-full-list-robbie-robertson-1235563826/

I thought it was the same with the list in the first post. I made a mistake.

Ah, OK. Well, I've heard most of those too. The titles that weren't in the first post of this thread:

AMERICAN SYMPHONY I had some hopes for, after Batiste's fine work on SOUL, but didn't really ignite me.

I can't remember if I sampled Bowers' version of THE COLOR PURPLE in my current walktrhough. Should remedy that.

Mark Horton's THE HOLDOVERS starts off somewhat interestingly, but then falls into boring tropes eventually.

THE ZONE OF INTEREST wasn't that interesting (no pun intended). It's usually the case with Levi. Very intriguing in the film, less so outside (except maybe bits of UNDER THE SKIN and JACKIE). It's droney even by Levi's standards.

Well, from all 6 scores I've listened to now (along with Killers of the flower moon), I liked The Boy and the Heron best. (yeah, even more than Williams's score). Although still I think it's not one of Hisaishi's best efforts.

Oscars Shakeup: ‘Barbie’ Moved to Adapted Screenplay by Academy Despite WGA Classification as Original (EXCLUSIVE)

https://variety.com/2024/film/awards/barbie-moved-adapted-screenplay-oscars-1235848136/?fbclid=IwAR2IqZeTi_G7VwUGttPTdHrLq_MEdTkv6By3lFvnnvdGjQmSHGnFDYllRK8

So, let me get this straight. To the Academy, Barbie is an 'Adapted Screenplay' - likely due to the fact that Barbie and Ken are existing IP.

Even though this specific Barbie story is not pre-existing within the IP. It's not based on a book or any other pre-existing medium other than the characters, seemingly.

However, Biopics, based on real people and real events that are pre-existing and undoubtedly based on research and pre-existing stories, such as King Richard, The Trial of the Chicago 7, Judas and the Black Messiah, Vice, Green Book (which won), Spotlight (another winner), etc. count as 'Original Screenplays'?

I really don't care what Barbie goes under specifically, but it's stuff like this that have made me unable to take the Oscars seriously for years now. Just seemingly arbitrarily applying rules when they feel like it.

The ONLY reason Williams would win for DOD is the "old age lets give him a last Oscar" thing. Maybe Kimmel's comments from last year made them remember

About re-used music from previous scores...nobody outside of this board noticed that

44 minutes ago, Richard Penna said:

Most people wouldn't, despite that being a considerable reason why DoD should probably be ineligible.

Like I said above, the Academy arbitrarily decides when it actually wants to enforce its own rules. Lol.

3 hours ago, King Mark said:

The ONLY reason Williams would win for DOD is the "old age lets give him a last Oscar" thing.

Maybe, but the last time that happened was in 2015 with Ennio Morricone. And, before that, the only one I can possibly think was in 1990 with John Barry. Anyway, even under those conditions I don't think that would happen, since The Hateful Eight and Dances with Wolves were much more beloved by Academy members than DoD will ever be.

If the Academy was going to give Williams a "he's old and a veteran of the industry, this is his last Oscar" award, that would have happened last year with The Fabelmans. Instead, the morons decided to give the Oscar to the horrendous All Quiet score. 

This year, the Oscar already belongs to Göransson. The only way Williams can be competitive again at the Oscars (and even that would be a very long shot) is if Spielberg produces an even more acclaimed movie than The Fabelmans, one so utterly adored by the Academy that it would be impossible for them to ignore.

3 hours ago, King Mark said:

The ONLY reason Williams would win for DOD is the "old age lets give him a last Oscar" thing. Maybe Kimmel's comments from last year made them remember

Or maybe because it is the best score of the year? At least when I listened to the walkthŕough Youtube video above. And there is nothing a little close to the musical quality of Williams' score.

On the other hand, we are talking about the oscars. What does that have to do with quality?

So, probably you are right. There is no other reason.

Dial of Destiny made the BAFTA longlist in Original Score

Slightly notable considering The Fabelmans was omitted last year 

On 04/01/2024 at 2:43 PM, Edmilson said:

Maybe, but the last time that happened was in 2015 with Ennio Morricone. And, before that, the only one I can possibly think was in 1990 with John Barry. Anyway, even under those conditions I don't think that would happen, since The Hateful Eight and Dances with Wolves were much more beloved by Academy members than DoD will ever be.

If the Academy was going to give Williams a "he's old and a veteran of the industry, this is his last Oscar" award, that would have happened last year with The Fabelmans. Instead, the morons decided to give the Oscar to the horrendous All Quiet score. 

This year, the Oscar already belongs to Göransson. The only way Williams can be competitive again at the Oscars (and even that would be a very long shot) is if Spielberg produces an even more acclaimed movie than The Fabelmans, one so utterly adored by the Academy that it would be impossible for them to ignore.

Hateful Eight wasn't all that beloved...arguably Force Awakens was a more acclaimed movie so they could have given it to JW instead (the Grammys did) or indeed Bridge of Spies, Carol, or Sicario. But Morricone had never won in competition and Tarantino did a good job making that a thing at the Golden Globes. 

I don't think it's exactly so cut and dry that it has to be the most beloved movie. The closest he's come to winning since Schindler's List was Memoirs of a Geisha, which was NOT an acclaimed movie but was considered the most "sumptuous" of the year. And strikingly different for Williams. The Yo-Yo Ma and Itzhak Perlman collaboration was also impressive. Brokeback WAS more beloved and probably made a difference, but there are other factors. Best Picture winners lose Score all the time. 

I think the exact reasons Williams hasn't won a sixth Oscar change from year to year but mainly it's because everybody knows Williams has a lot of Oscars. The fact that he gets nominated all the time might even work against him too, because it's easy to take him for granted. He's never had a comeback, he's never been the underdog, there's no hook, no reinvention, he's just always been good.

6 is not a very dramatic number either, unlike say Meryl Streep where the narrative became that she should have 3. She basically had her entire career between Sophie's Choice and The Iron Lady. With Williams, there's not that same urgency to reward him for everything he's accomplished since 1993 in particular. That would require an unprecedented level of John Williams appreciation. And many people probably assume he has like 20 Oscars, anyway.

This is all just hot air around the fact that they're indifferent about it altogether. I think it is possible that there could be a movie or score or a competition field with some weird X factor in his favor, but they've just gotten too picky at this point. I think too many people automatically rule him out. 

Alright I see Williams isn't nominated for the Golden Globes tonight (just remembered they were on but less incentive to watch now) so seems less chance for Oscar nom.

This year I hope Oppenheimer wins Best Picture and restore my faith in the Oscars that a movie that doesn't push "The Message" can still win Best Picture.

Williams is a little less popular at the Golden Globes, anyway, and they almost always ignore his blockbusters. They never nominated an Indiana Jones including Raiders, and the only sequel he's been nominated for is Empire Strikes Back. A.I. is the only score with any genre elements they've nominated since E.T. 

I don’t keep up with awards but my parents said the Golden Globes have a popularity/box office(?) award this year, which seems strange.

55 minutes ago, mrbellamy said:

Yeah but depending on who's hosting and who's drunk, they're better than the Oscars 

The Golden Globes ceremony can be very entertaining indeed. Especially when they bring Ricky Gervais, who then procceeds to humiliate the entire Hollywood on his opening monologues.

But the awards themselves are just crap. They give a Globe to any movie or TV show whose studio gifts the voters with trips to Vegas, nice private events, expensive gifts, etc.

4 hours ago, mrbellamy said:

Yeah but depending on who's hosting and who's drunk, they're better than the Oscars 

Yeah sometimes it's better and I thought Ricky Gervais was funny when he was the host, but last year was beyond terrible , with the host going on and on about racism in award shows and basing his entire opening monologue on his race and sexual orientation.

I didn't remember Williams was usually snubbed at the Golden Globes so I guess his Oscar nom chances aren't diminished

At least this year's host is funnier than last year.

Oppenheimer swept all the major awards for Golden Globe

May not affect JW directly but it gives Oppenheimer a signffiicant boost.

I'd support Williams winning as a retrospective for all of the Indy scores, but not for DoD alone. Far too much recycled music and general reuse of standard modern, predictable Williams-isms to be major award-worthy for me. Plus I feel that he wrote Helena's Theme more as 'I want to write this' than 'this is what the film needs', and given that the concert piece itself doesn't appear as underscore, it's difficult to use that piece to justify a win for 'score'.

On 21/12/2023 at 8:58 PM, Edmilson said:

Literally the only things I remember about the Basbie score

:lol2:

9 minutes ago, JNHFan2000 said:

Do any of you think that Williams will get a Honorary Oscar in the next 2 years?

Yes. And if not in the next two, then in the next ten or fifteen for sure. He has plenty of time. ;)

22 minutes ago, Richard Penna said:

I'd support Williams winning as a retrospective for all of the Indy scores, but not for DoD alone. Far too much recycled music and general reuse of standard Williams-isms to be major award-worthy for me. Plus I feel that he wrote Helena's Theme more as 'I want to write this' than 'this is what the film needs'.

Agreed. If he didn’t win for Raiders, Temple and Last Crusade, all of which are superior scores, him winning for DoD would feel strange. But with Oppenheimer being such a fan and awards show favorite, I don’t see much chance for JW to win. And honestly as much as I want him to get as many awards as possible, this score does not deserve to win. Especially compared to the other Indy scores. A future honorary Oscar is more likely imho, but since he already has five regular ones, I don’t know…

Quite honestly there was very little this year that made me think, yes, that score's really quite something - give that person an oscar. DoD was nice as an initial album listen and it's still enjoyable as such, but the more you hear the full score, the more I think it falls apart a bit.

I haven't heard Oppenheimer, something I should correct. Maybe it will turn out I agree with the Globes and the academy...

12 hours ago, mstrox said:

I don’t keep up with awards but my parents said the Golden Globes have a popularity/box office(?) award this year, which seems strange.

Not really strange when you think about it. The show is about attracting viewers and promoting Hollywood's product. So it's unsurprising that people might be more inclined to watch if they thought a movie they actually saw and loved might win something, rather than depressing dreck like Coda and Nomadland.

3 hours ago, JNHFan2000 said:

Do any of you think that Williams will get a Honorary Oscar in the next 2 years?

Like the one Morricone got before being awarded for The Hateful Eight? That's a good question.

On one hand, both Morricone and Williams are two of the most influential composers ever in the entire history of the Seventh Art, so if Morricone got one it seems fair that JW will get one as well.

On the other, that award was kinda like the Academy saying to EM "We're sorry we didn't give you a competitive Oscar before, hope we can make things right with this Honorary statue". He didn't have a single Oscar before that. John Williams has five. So they may think this is enough recognizement and there's no need for an honorary award.

14 minutes ago, Edmilson said:

On the other, that award was kinda like the Academy saying to EM "We're sorry we didn't give you a competitive Oscar before, hope we can make things right with this Honorary statue". He didn't have a single Oscar before that. John Williams has five. So they may think this is enough recognizement and there's no need for an honorary award.

That's sort of what I was thinking as well. Don't they typically throw honorary Oscars at people who deserve, but never got one?

As much as I love JW, he's gotten so many (though at the same time, not enough), I wouldn't want to see someone who really deserves it lose out just because the Academy wanted to throw another one his way because of sentimentality.

Yeah, I wouldn't call it a worthy nominee even if they allowed a hundred nominees (though not hugely surprising that it was, given that it's fairly standard feel-good Oscar bait). But "depressing" seems way off the mark as a description of it.

Even Nomadland doesn't really fit that description, I think, though I could more easily see how someone else might find it so...

You're right. I got Coda mixed up with Roma.

To be fair, they both have four letters, including an "o" and "a", as their second and last letter, respectively. And as everyone knows, Coda star Emilia Jones was in Youth with Rachel Weisz, who was in Let's Dance with Roma star Yalitza Aparicio, so it's a common mistake.

Roma isn't bad, saw it on Netflix during that Oscar season. A very intimate look into the lives of a Mexican family during the 70s (stand-in for Cuarón's own family and childhood).

So if you like coming of age movies set in an specific time and period and where the biggest events are just the family lives and childhood stuff, and that obviously are vehicles for directors to show their own childhoods to the world, then you'll like this one. Otherwise, no, stay away.

Haven't seen Coda.

Anyway, here's the complete awards season calendar for this year:

January

8: Association of Motion Picture Sound Awards nominations

9: Governors Awards (moved from November 18)

9: DGA Awards TV & documentary nominations (Directors Guild)

9: ADG Awards nominations (Art Directors Guild)

9: CAS Awards nominations (Cinema Audio Society)

9: Movies for Grownups Awards nominations (AARP)

10: SAG Awards nominations

10: DGA Awards film nominations (Directors Guild)

10: ICG Publicists Awards film nominations announced

11: ASC Awards nominations (American Society of Cinematographers)

11: National Board of Review Awards Gala

12: AFI Awards (moved from January 5)

12: Producers Guild Awards nominations (Theatrical, Animated and Streamed/Televised Films; TV Series/Specials)

14: Critics Choice Awards

15: Primetime Emmy Awards (postponed from September 18)

15: MPSE Golden Reel Awards nominations (Motion Picture Sound Editors)

18: BAFTA Film Awards nominations

23: Oscar nominations

25: ACE Eddie Awards nominations (American Cinema Editors)

25: NAACP Image Awards nominations

27: Family Film and TV Awards

27: Association of Motion Picture Sound Awards

February

4: Grammy Awards

4: London Critics Circle Awards

4: Saturn Awards (Academy of Science Fiction, Fantasy and Horror Films)

5: Dorian Awards nominations (Society of LGBTQ Entertainment Critics)

10: DGA Awards

10: ADG Awards

10: AACTA International Awards

12: Oscar Nominees Luncheon

13: Society of Composers & Lyricists Awards

15: American Cinematheque Awards (postponed from November 4)

18: BAFTA Film Awards

18: Make-Up Artists & Hair Stylists Guild Awards

21: Writers Guild Awards nominations

21: CDGA (Costume Designers Guild awards)

23: Sci-Tech Oscars

24: SAG Awards

24: Society Of Camera Operators Awards

25: Film Independent Spirit Awards

25: Producers Guild Awards

26: HCA Film Awards

26: Dorian Awards

March

2: CAS Awards (Cinema Audio Society)

2: USC Libraries Scripter Awards

2: Crunchyroll Anime Awards

3: ASC Awards

3: ACE Eddie Awards 

3: MPSE Golden Reel Awards

7: Artios Awards (Casting Society)

8: ICG Publicists Awards

10: Academy Awards

12: Olivier Awards nominations

16: NAACP Image Awards

April

14: Writers Guild Awards

14: Olivier Awards

27: AFI Life Achievement Award Honoring Nicole Kidman

30: Tony Awards nominations

June

16: Tony Awards

https://deadline.com/feature/awards-season-calendar-oscars-emmys-golden-globes-list-1234814076/

Still find it ridiculous that Oscars are so late. It takes all the "tension" out of the awards because you can pretty much guess who will win

• 2 weeks later...

Don't know if this should be here, but anyway

Here's the Razzie nominees:

WORST PICTURE
The Exorcist: Believer
Expend4bles
Meg 2: The Trench
Shazam! Fury of the Gods
Winnie the Pooh: Blood and Honey (Wait, shouldn’t that be spelled “Hunny”?)

WORST ACTOR
Russell Crowe / The Pope’s Exorcist
Vin Diesel / Fast X
Chris Evans / Ghosted
Jason Statham / Meg 2: The Trench
Jon Voight / Mercy

WORST ACTRESS
Ana de Armas / Ghosted
Megan Fox / Johnny & Clyde
Salma Hayek / Magic Mike’s Last Dance
Jennifer Lopez / The Mother
Dame Helen Mirren / Shazam! Fury of the Gods

WORST SUPPORTING ACTRESS
Kim Cattrall / About My Father
Megan Fox / Expend4bles
Bai Ling / Johnny & Clyde
Lucy Liu / Shazam! Fury of the Gods
Mary Stuart Masterson / Five Nights at Freddy’s

WORST SUPPORTING ACTOR
Michael Douglas / Ant Man & The Wasp: Quantumania
Mel Gibson / Confidential Informant
Bill Murray / Ant Man & The Wasp: Quantumania
Franco Nero (as “The Pope”) / The Pope’s Exorcist
Sylvester Stallone / Expend4ables

WORST SCREEN COUPLE
Any 2 “Merciless Mercenaries” / Expend4bles
Any 2 Money-Grubbing Investors Who Donated to the $400 Million for Remake Rights to The Exorcist
Ana de Armas & Chris Evans (who flunked Screen Chemistry) / Ghosted
Salma Hayek & Channing Tatum / Magic Mike’s Last Dance
Pooh & Piglet as Blood-Thirsty Slasher/Killers(!) / Winnie the Pooh: Blood and Honey

WORST PREQUEL, REMAKE, RIP-OFF or SEQUEL
Ant Man & The Wasp: Quantumania
Expend4bles
Indiana Jones and The Dial of … Still Beating a Dead Horse
Winnie the Pooh: Blood and Honey

WORST DIRECTOR
Rhys Frake-Waterfield / Winnie the Pooh: Blood and Honey
David Gordon Green / The Exorcist: Believer
Peyton Reed / Ant Man & the Wasp: Quantumania
Scott Waugh / Expend4bles
Ben Wheatley / Meg 2: The Trench

WORST SCREENPLAY
Expend4bles
Indiana Jones and the Dial of … Can I go home now?
Shazam! Fury of the Gods
Winnie the Pooh: Blood & Honey

Source: https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/movies/movie-news/razzie-awards-nominations-2024-full-list-1235803012/

14 hours ago, Edmilson said:

Indiana Jones and The Dial of … Still Beating a Dead Horse
Indiana Jones and the Dial of … Can I go home now

:lol:

Man, anyone who thinks Williams has a hope of winning based on this reception of the movie... you have an optimism I do not possess :) 

2 1/2 hours to go till Hollywood goes nuts.

And the Obligatory Oscar Nomination for Best Original Score goes to…

John Williams for Indiana Jones and the Why Hasn’t He Received His 6th Oscar Decades Ago!