The Indiana Jones and the Last Crusade Enchantment Thread

JTN

I’ve been amazed by how many people prefer The Last Crusade to Raiders. John Williams’ score definitely makes it a great contender for the top spot of the franchise. The amazing chemistry and family dynamics between Ford and Connery is another winning element of TLC. 

Let’s confess our love for the perfect ending to the Indiana Jones Trilogy where after their greatest adventure, Indy, his Dad and friends ride off into the sunset, having found illumination and new appreciation for their loved ones.

I love Crusade, but I think it is second to Raiders, if only because the structure of it is rather dull. It feels like a long string of chase scenes, not unlike Raiders, but not as well done. It’s the father/son stuff that sells the movie. Connery and Ford are a lot of fun to watch, and the writing has heart.

16 hours ago, Mr. Hooper said:

But I still wouldn't change a thing about it.

There are lots of things I would change. Should I start a Disenchantment Thread?

This film has awesome performances. I think it’s real strength is the script.  So many great one liners. It may be the most quotable of all the IJ films. 

But like @GerateWohl, I was disappointed with it when it came out.  But this is an Enchantment thread. 

3 hours ago, Schilkeman said:

It feels like a long string of chase scenes, not unlike Raiders, but not as well done.

That's a criticism I'd direct at 'Dial of Destiny'.

8 minutes ago, Andy said:

There are lots of things I would change. Should I start a Disenchantment Thread?

Yes, now would be the time. They're popping up like daisies.

17 minutes ago, Andy said:

Not sure each film needs two threads. And now Dial has, what, two appreciation threads? It’s getting messy. 

One of them is a joke appreciation thread.

Not better than the classic heroic ending of TLC, but it has a redeeming quality after all the crazy stuff, and Indy and Marion getting married puts a huge smile on every Indy fan's face. This should really have been the end for the saga, because you couldn't possibly end it on a more positive and cheerful note. 

15 hours ago, LB Makes Stuff said:

But! No swooping femme fatale theme?

F-

Bad John. DoD better.

At least she has a noirish motif...

5 minutes ago, Bellosh said:

the grabbing of the hat in Dial felt like the first time and only time the franchise breaking the 4th wall.  Why in the world would Indy need to grab the hat so fast in that moment?

I'm not joking here, but what ran through my head was that the kissing in the kitchen led to some mattress spring squeaking, and Indy likes to wear his hat. :lol:

9 minutes ago, Bellosh said:

Unmistakably Spielbergian. He just knows how to create moments, however small, that stir up feelings in a viewer. And of course, Williams' music takes us the rest of the way.

Just now, Mr. Hooper said:

I'm not joking here, but what ran through my head was that the kissing in the kitchen led to some mattress spring squeaking, and Indy likes to wear his hat. :lol:

i've read this theory bed-time story too!  And its like WHAT WERE THEY THINKING?!?! sloppy sloppy.

We need more enchantment threads. Not for DoD, but for things in general. 

The Titanic Appreciation thread (film and score)

The Disney Star Wars Appreciation Thread

The Marvel Cinematic Universe Appreciation Thread

The DC Extended Universe Appreciation Thread

The Lorne Balfe Appreciation Thread

etc

10 hours ago, Schilkeman said:

I love Crusade, but I think it is second to Raiders, if only because the structure of it is rather dull. It feels like a long string of chase scenes, not unlike Raiders, but not as well done. It’s the father/son stuff that sells the movie. Connery and Ford are a lot of fun to watch, and the writing has heart.

The structure of Crusade is, at least on paper, perfectly balanced.

Each 20-minute segment has a beginning, middle and a chase at the end. 

Part 1: Double prologue.

Part 2: Venice and the boat chase.

Part 3: Nazi castle and the motocycle chase.

Part 4: Berlin and the aereal chase.

Part 5: Desert and the tank chase.

Part 6: Emotional climax.

It's way more "perfect" than any of the other two films.

Which is why it feels almost "too" neat.

When the Concord set arrived in 2008...I remember it was a really cold November night.  I got home from work, grabbed it from my mail and immediately got back in my car. 

I opened it up and smelled it of course (I like the smell of new packaging, it's like pissing in the shower, everyone does it but nobody admits to it...)

Anyway I quickly threw in Temple of Doom just to hear short round helps and the broken bridge/British relief cues....then it was on to the main feature....The Last Crusade.

After being so used to the bootlegs, everything I was hearing sounded so fucking perfect. It felt like a holy grail was in my then 2008 Corollas CD player.

I quickly went straight to On The Tank and I think I listened to that cue maybe 20x in a row.  I drove around for like maybe 3 hours that night listening to The Last Crusade.

Great times.  Now I'm just a jaded motherfucker angry at The Mouse© for reissuing it all.

4 hours ago, Bellosh said:

I quickly went straight to On The Tank and I think I listened to that cue maybe 20x in a row.  I drove around for like maybe 3 hours that night listening to The Last Crusade.

IMG_0005.gif

16 hours ago, Bellosh said:

When the Concord set arrived in 2008...I remember it was a really cold November night.  I got home from work, grabbed it from my mail and immediately got back in my car. 

I opened it up and smelled it of course (I like the smell of new packaging, it's like pissing in the shower, everyone does it but nobody admits to it...)

Anyway I quickly threw in Temple of Doom just to hear short round helps and the broken bridge/British relief cues....then it was on to the main feature....The Last Crusade.

After being so used to the bootlegs, everything I was hearing sounded so fucking perfect. It felt like a holy grail was in my then 2008 Corollas CD player.

Great times. 

Remember when the forums went down right around when the Concord box came out, and when it came back we had lost all our initial posts about it?

Fun times

Did you write this comment in all the other Indiana Jones threads, too? ;)

Why were losing all the posts of the forum members about the Concord Box Set fun times? 

If I lost all your posts, I wouldn’t call it fun times, I would consider it sad times.

It wasn't fun, it was the opposite. I was being sarcastic.

Yes I know it obviously is, and I'm curious why you are being sarcastic? Because I started an Indiana Jones and the Last Crusade Enchantment thread after other members started an Indiana Jones and the Temple of Doom Enchantment Thread or an Indiana Jones and the Dial of Destiny Enchantment Thread? You were OK with all those threads, but you aren't with the Indiana Jones and the Last Crusade Enchantment Thread?

Btw I'm not trying to start a fight with you, the mod, but you were being sarcastic and I would just like to know why. 

What are you talking about? Bellosh shared a memory of getting the Concord box in 2008, so I shared a memory in response.  I didn't even know what thread I'm in.

Oh, OK, sorry, I didn't know you were replying to his post, since you didn't quote him, just wrote it like you meant it to me as my post was above yours. Thanks for clarifying!

A sign of the times - I remember KM declaring the set was 'perfect' when we incorrectly thought that the full film version of the ToD ending was on there.

Even taking the sound issues out of the equation, the Concord box was seen as the best thing ever.

It's a bit more surprising that Indy hasn't been done properly than SW because Indy has at least been expanded once and so the shock for Williams of going from his curated baby to the C&C score isn't as big.

2 minutes ago, Richard Penna said:

It's a bit more surprising that Indy hasn't been done properly than SW because Indy has at least been expanded once and so the shock for Williams of going from his curated baby to the C&C score isn't as big.

But Star Wars hasn't been done properly either, not the modern standards of catalog restoration set by Mike and Neil and the like.

The old SW and Indy expansions from 1993, 1995, 1997, and 2008 were remarkable for their times but nowhere near up to modern standards.  I'm sure they would have been revisited by now if Disney hadn't bought Lucasfilm.  John Williams isn't the roadblock for these scores, Disney is.

You may have misinterpreted what I said - I know neither have been done properly, but I'm a bit more surprised that after Indy's had a relatively modern expansion of sorts, Williams isn't more open to going the whole way.

I'm fairly happy with my exactly 1 hour LC playlist but some of it is a little wobbly on the audio and it'd be nice to remake a curated playlist using materials from a Hook-style rebuilt expansion.

35 minutes ago, Jurassic Shark said:

You'll have to excuse JTW, he's been drinking too much disenchantment brew. :)

So much that I had to create an enchantment thread. :) 

I was confused, but I'm always first to acknowledge my error and never fail to apologize for it. I just wish others would do that more often, too. 

34 minutes ago, Jay said:

John Williams isn't the roadblock for these scores, Disney is.

EXACTLY.

23 minutes ago, Jurassic Shark said:

You'll have to excuse JTW, he's been drinking too much disenchantment brew. :)

image.gif

1 hour ago, JTW said:

Just because your profile pic is Dr. Zhivago, it doesn't mean that everyone has to be unfaithful. ;) 

I was referring to JW "going the whole way", as in finishing what he started and scoring Daisy's new trilogy.

Some of you need to get your minds out of the gutter.

3 hours ago, Jay said:

Remember when the forums went down right around when the Concord box came out, and when it came back we had lost all our initial posts about it?

Fun times

i don't remember that, but that's funny!  i was just lurking back in 2008.

4 minutes ago, Nick1Ø66 said:

I was referring to JW "going the whole way", as in finishing what he stared and scoring Daisy's new trilogy.

Okey dokey, Dr. Zhivago. ;)