Born on the Fourth of July expansion in the works?

crumbs

Saw this on Intrada's Facebook page, I guess take it with a grain of salt.

image.png

Who knows what's happened in 5 years though... I thought Universal scores were relatively straightforward expansions, and BOT4J is the last outstanding JW MCA OST to be expanded.

July 4th 2024 would be a perfect release date though, being July in the film's 35th anniversary.

Considering WB seem to be closed to working with the labels now, we won't be seeing JFK anytime soon. :(

But I see no reason Intrada can't tackle Nixon (even if Disney take forever to approve things) or LLL BOT4J, but they'll probably need Cruise's approval for the artwork and he's a busy man.

27 minutes ago, crumbs said:

But I see no reason Intrada can't tackle Nixon (even if Disney take forever to approve things) or LLL BOT4J, but they'll probably need Cruise's approval for the artwork and he's a busy man.

Do they need the Tom Cruise approval if they just use the OST artwork (which Intrada always does)?

5 minutes ago, Chewy said:

Do they need the Tom Cruise approval if they just use the OST artwork (which Intrada always does)?

If Intrada do it, probably not.

If LLL do it, they'll surely do new artwork. I don't think they've done a single JW expansion that reused the OST cover.

4 minutes ago, crumbs said:

I don't think they've done a single JW expansion that reused the OST cover.

CoS and PoA unless the new borders make them not count? Rosewood though that was long ago? CE3K though completely rebuilt?

Honestly when I read the thread title I was expecting something a bit more concrete than that. There are probably plenty of Williams scores in some stage or other of development. If Hook took the best part of a decade, who knows what issues there may be with Bo4J or The Patriot or Nixon that result in an expansion taking time.

And yeah, the dreaded actor approval. Who here would accept a cover that didn't feature Cruise or any prominent movie artwork if it meant whomever didn't have to wait for 2 years for Cruise to sign a bit of paper? I seem to remember Wyatt Earp having delays because Costner was constantly away filming.

2 hours ago, Chewy said:

Perhaps it would need Cruise's approval with or without his face on the cover, and perhaps he wouldn't give it without it…

1 hour ago, Marian Schedenig said:

Perhaps it would need Cruise's approval with or without his face on the cover, and perhaps he wouldn't give it without it…

This. These things are often dictated in contracts, right down to the percentage of real estate an actor's image must feature, or the font size of their name on the cover.

Both The Patriot and BOT4J OST covers are similar in this respect, with a tight shot of the lead actor's face and their name prominently featured above the title.

Fortunately LLL clearly have a good working relationship with both Cruise and Gibson, considering what's been released over the years. The Braveheart cover tastefully retained Mel Gibson's name, and he provided a generous interview for that release... but Patriot will end up at Intrada anyway.

1 hour ago, Richard Penna said:

Honestly when I read the thread title I was expecting something a bit more concrete than that. There are probably plenty of Williams scores in some stage or other of development. If Hook took the best part of a decade, who knows what issues there may be with Bo4J or The Patriot or Nixon that result in an expansion taking time.

And yeah, the dreaded actor approval. Who here would accept a cover that didn't feature Cruise or any prominent movie artwork if it meant whomever didn't have to wait for 2 years for Cruise to sign a bit of paper? I seem to remember Wyatt Earp having delays because Costner was constantly away filming.

War of the worlds didnt feature cruise.

I was more referring to scores where the default option would be an image featuring the actor and hence an extra approval and complexity is added to the release. In those cases, I suspect fans would rather a product that featured something else but came out a year earlier.

--

When Gibson's credit on LLL's cover is bigger and more prominent than the composer's name, there's definitely an ego issue. It's not even describing the product like it is for a DVD. Mel Gibson as an actor has nothing to do with the score. (argument perhaps to be made that he's the director too, but they don't usually go on album covers either)

You'd think BOT4J would be a comparatively "easy" score to expand. Universal is usually more open to the labels, we got lots of other expansions for Tom Cruise movies in recent years (Minority Report, War of the Worlds, M: I). 

I wonder if those also got "stuck" for five years waiting for whatever legal crap before being released though.

A remastered and expanded release without the pop songs would be most welcome!  It’d probably increase my appreciation of it much like Always did with its wonderful expanded release. 

Yeah I see no reason why they'd include those pop songs on a new remaster, seeing as Always didn't retain them.

The bootleg (JW music only) is 77:50 which is perfect for a 1CD album, unless there's a bunch of extra stuff recorded that didn't leak in the bootleg. It does include 8 "alternates" but I'm not sure if they're actually alternates or just slightly different takes.

It's amazing that only 25 minutes of JW music was included; must be the shortest of any JW OST?

i assume the opening of the end credits was something that Stone decided not to use, given that type of ending the movie has with 'You're a Grand Old Flag' playing.

regardless, the opening 15 seconds is maybe the most heart wrenching/beautiful thing JW has ever done.  it's THE best part of the whole score for me.

6 hours ago, crumbs said:

It's amazing that only 25 minutes of JW music was included; must be the shortest of any JW OST?

Perhaps, but it really does have all the best parts. I had that expanded boot on a CD-R once, and - in essence - the extra material was either more of the dissonant, abrasive bits for Vietnam or more iterations of the Americana theme. Both completely wore out their welcome, even the great theme, so I threw the damn thing angrily in the bin. The OST perfectly balances both bits, letting them shine. One could possibly add some 10-15 minutes without making too much harm.

10 minutes ago, Thor said:

Perhaps, but it really does have all the best parts. I had that expanded boot on a CD-R once, and - in essence - the extra material was either more of the dissonant, abrasive bits for Vietnam or more iterations of the Americana theme. Both completely wore out their welcome, even the great theme, so I threw the damn thing angrily in the bin. The OST perfectly balances both bits, letting them shine. One could possibly add some 10-15 minutes without making too much harm.

Agree. But the suite at the beginning of the boot is a nice addition.

33 minutes ago, Thor said:

One could possibly add some 10-15 minutes without making too much harm.

I'd like to keep this quote for the next monopoly round if I may :) 

But in all seriousness, I think I came across some sort of boot many years ago and didn't really hear anything very notable apart from more thematic variations. There are plenty of scores where having the entire thing opens up the score but others where the overall structure is mostly variations on the same material (maybe because songs take focus) and I suspect this may be one of those cases.

I've got the theme piece from the 'Greatest Hits' album and it's a lovely piece.

Yeah, this is one where I would need convincing to buy an expanded version. The OST is very short, of course, but (not having seen the film), I'm not aware of any stand-out cues or themes that aren't already covered by it. If there is an expansion, and assuming it's in the usual price region, I'd need to have a close listen to any samples to be persuaded that I'd definitely be getting something extra that was worthwhile.

Mark

13 hours ago, crumbs said:

The Fabelmans is shorter if you remove its 3 non-JW tracks