Hans Zimmer's DUNE PART TWO (2024)

Mephariel

This is a much darker score than the first. There are lots of variations of the "Holy War" theme (which was my favorite theme from the last score) and the Atreides/Love Theme is absolutely rousing. "Kiss the Ring" in particular is GLORIOUS. 

29 minutes ago, MedigoScan said:

I do like the Emperors theme. And the twists on the Harkonnen/Arrakis themes.

The Emperor's theme feels very much like late 90's/early 00's Zimmer

Just listened to the album. Eh, sorry, this isn't my type of score. It has a decent start with some nice ambient music with a few vaguely Arabian/desert feel, but the middle of the album is mostly violent and disturbing action music with the screaming women from the first score.

That said, it's not all that bad. I like the Holy War theme (it reminds of the Zimmer from King Arthur and POTC 2 and 3) and it gets a nice development on track 2. The Emperor theme (not that one ;)) is very 2000s Zimmer and I like it. The final two tracks, where we can actually hear some melody, are pretty good, especially the second one, which has what I think is the end titles suite.

So yeah, it has a nice beginning and ending, but too much of the middle portion of the album is not the kind of music I like. It is well done and I'm sure it works great with the movie, but still.

I will start by saying when the first Dune score came out, I was it was very disappointing because the sketchbook truly had some great creative ideas and the actual album didn’t use most of it. Frankly, the album was a bit of a bore and it took seeing the film twice and a couple more listening sessions to warm up to the score.

I just finished the Dune: Part Two album and I must say, this is a massive improvement. I listened to the whole thing straight and love most of the creative ideas. Finally, the Atreides theme and the Harkonnen stuff got some proper development. The main theme sort of meanders a bit too long at times, but it is affectionate and effective. A lot of people say the best rendition is in “Kiss the Ring” and that is indeed glorious, but I love the variation in “Only I Will Remain” more because it captures the both the enormity and tragedy of the situation. The electric cello Arrakis theme also got more of a spotlight this time, and officially became the “Desert Power” theme, representing the harness of sandworm strength. Perhaps the most surprising thing I like about the score is the new Harkonnen motifs. I am not joking when I say “Harkonnen Arena” is perhaps my favorite cue. The three-note riff, the unsettling horns…if are fighting Feyd-Rautha in a black a white arena…that is the horror you are facing.

Curiously missing for me is the development of the Bene Gesserit. Since I haven’t read the book, maybe that the “Water of Life” material? But I felt their presence in the score was diminished.

Overall, I like this score very much and I can’t wait to see its application in the film.

BTW, does anyone know what "Lisan al Gaib" is? Is that like a sketchbook suite or part of the film?

Water of Life and Seduction are alternate versions from the cue „Song of the Sisters“ (Bene Gesserit)

I've had three whole rounds with the soundtrack so far, yesterday and today. "A Time of Quiet Between the Storms" and "Kiss the Ring" are better than anything in PART ONE, for sure, but the rest of the score is a bit weaker, IMO. I can only take so much of the sturm-und-drang wall of sound before it grates on my feeble ears. The first balanced it better, with the world music, slow music and dense action music evenly distributed. That being said, I've whittled the album down to a reasonable 45 minutes, and it plays much better now, with more even balance of the dread, mystery and love.

dune 2.jpg

I’m surprised how much of a presence the “Nobility” motif had at the end of this score in “Only I Will Remain.” Overall I’m a fan of this score I’m sure it will grow on me like the first. The epicness is there for sure and the soundscape is unreal but Hans really leans into the Atreides theme in this one which I’m not a giant fan of. The theme itself is okay but he doesn’t develop it enough it just plays in the same way over and over again stagnantly until the very end. My personal favorite track is “Southern Messiah” simply because I love the “Impending Doom” motif so much. I sorta wish this score delved into some of the motifs Hans set up into the first score more though. I feel like the “Impending Doom” motif was better used in the first film.

For those who have seen the film are there any tracks that were left out of the score?

7 hours ago, badbu said:

Water of Life and Seduction are alternate versions from the cue „Song of the Sisters“ (Bene Gesserit)

Thanks. Is "Eclipse" spun off from "Moon Over Caladan?" I really like "Moon Over Caladan" and was hugely disappointed it wasn't used in the first album. But thinking about it, maybe it is more like "Holy War."

5 hours ago, MaxMovieMan said:

For those who have seen the film are there any tracks that were left out of the score?

How could anyone on JWFan have seen the film when it does not open until March 1st?

27 minutes ago, Jay said:

How could anyone on JWFan have seen the film when it does not open until March 1st?

Perhaps some of us are film critics? I used to go to many advanced screenings when I wrote film reviews for newspapers and magazines.

30 minutes ago, Jay said:

There have been screenings of the film for critics and I'm personally going to see the film on Sunday. 

6 hours ago, MaxMovieMan said:

The movie is almost 3 hours long and we have 81 minutes of music here. Fairly certain there will be a good amount in the film that we haven't received here!

58 minutes ago, Tallguy said:

Are you going to see the whole thing or only the selected highlights? ;)

;)

For this type of film, it's always a rush to be there the earliest, to get the best seats. There's another critic that prefers the same seat as I do in the IMAX theatre, so we always fight for that.

6 minutes ago, Thor said:

;)

For this type of film, it's always a rush to be there the earliest, to get the best seats. There's another critic that prefers the same seat as I do in the IMAX theatre, so we always fight for that.

May his blade chip and shatter!

While I am not the biggest fan of the first film, I am looking forward to seeing this. At the very least, it should be quite an immersive experience. I was even thinking of catching the 70mm screening in IMAX. Apparently, London is the only place in Europe who will be showing this version.

Karol

4 minutes ago, Tallguy said:

Wasn't there a whole to-do that said London isn't part of Europe? :devil:

Haha, I see what you did there. But you wouldn't say that to Switzerland, Norway or any Balkan country, would you? ;)

Karol

11 minutes ago, crocodile said:

Haha, I see what you did there. But you wouldn't say that to Switzerland, Norway or any Balkan country, would you? ;)

If I was smart enough, that sound like the exact sort of thing I would do. (And thank you for the additional education.) :znaika:

18 hours ago, Mephariel said:

Thanks. Is "Eclipse" spun off from "Moon Over Caladan?" I really like "Moon Over Caladan" and was hugely disappointed it wasn't used in the first album. But thinking about it, maybe it is more like "Holy War."

for me, Eclipse is basically the the same cue like „Night on Arrakis“ 

After listening a few times now, i like this one more then part 1. And finally we have two cues with „song of the sisters“ material :) But please this time, no major cues missing! :D 

I just came back from the film too, an IMAX screening. My mind wasn't geared towards what music is missing from the OST, as that's not something that interests me. But the end titles were very nice; I'm not sure that was on the OST?

In any case, spectacular film! Better and richer than the first part, which was already one of my favourite films that year. Villeneuve approaches the visuals as if it were "action painting" -- not that it looks like Jackson Pollock, necessarily, but infusing it with gorgeous layers between dream and reality. Broad, impressionistic strokes one moment, then images that reverberate with intuitive tension the next. While there are some amazing action setpieces, it's surprisingly heavy on the religious parts of the story - it's a film that exists on a far more individual plane than the first, I think. More inwards, less outwards. As if it were a Catholic church service set in Tibet. Loved it! Villeneuve truly is the new Ridley Scott (when Scott was consistently good).

Zimmer's themes/leitmotifs are allowed space to breathe in many sequences, especially the stunning love theme, and developped further. Although, of course, the "wall of sound" elements that blend with the sound effects don't do that much for me. Same as the first.

The film is currently my no. 1 of 2024, and I wouldn't be surprised if it at the very least lands a top 3 spot by the end of the year.

I rather like the first album with its faintly religious/ethnic flavour, but disappointingly this one really isn't doing anything for me. I put it on as a background listen earlier during work and I got a bit restless after about a third of the album. The action material is the wrong sort of 'wall of sound' for me but I wasn't expecting much from that to begin with, but aside from that nice new theme we heard before the album dropped, it feels like just fairly typical atmospheric stuff to me. Probably just the wrong sound for my ears - it happens.

Maybe I'm in the completely wrong mindset for this score and I'll hear it in a better mood and enjoy it some other time (happens quite a lot - I didn't like Oppenheimer much to start with and now I'm on the verge of buying it).

51 minutes ago, Richard Penna said:

I rather like the first album with its faintly religious/ethnic flavour, but disappointingly this one really isn't doing anything for me. I put it on as a background listen earlier during work and I got a bit restless after about a third of the album. The action material is the wrong sort of 'wall of sound' for me but I wasn't expecting much from that to begin with, but aside from that nice new theme we heard before the album dropped, it feels like just fairly typical atmospheric stuff to me. Probably just the wrong sound for my ears - it happens.

Maybe I'm in the completely wrong mindset for this score and I'll hear it in a better mood and enjoy it some other time (happens quite a lot - I didn't like Oppenheimer much to start with and now I'm on the verge of buying it).

I would agree if this was your assessment of the first score. I found the "atmospheric" stuff on the first score pretty boring on album to be honest. And some of the best "ethnic flavor" wasn't even on the album (like the music when they were flying to the spice field). I ended up really appreciating the score a lot more over time, but it took for a while for me to want to listen to it again. I think the "atmospheric" stuff in Dune: Part Two is just incredibly creative, both in sound and scope. "Harkonnen Arena," one of my favorite cues, is just downright frightening and satanic. Even something like "Harvester Attack" is the type of intense, multi-layered "wall of sound" that was missing in the first album.  I listened to the score 3 times already and I haven't even seen the film yet. 

Apparently that 8minute long track at the start is not even from the movie. I really wish that space could have been used for something else.

5 hours ago, MedigoScan said:

Apparently that 8minute long track at the start is not even from the movie. I really wish that space could have been used for something else.

Agreed. "Lisan al Gaib" is also a suite not in the movie. But that cue is pretty awesome and encompasses a lot of the Dune ideas as a whole. The 8 minute long track at the beginning doesn't have any new ideas and the theme is done better in subsequent cues.  

28 minutes ago, Mephariel said:

Agreed. "Lisan al Gaib" is also a suite not in the movie. But that cue is pretty awesome and encompasses a lot of the Dune ideas as a whole.

It isn't the end credits suite? Judging by its placement on the album I thought it was the credits. 

11 minutes ago, Edmilson said:

It isn't the end credits suite? Judging by its placement on the album I thought it was the credits. 

No. "Only I Will Remain" has been confirmed as the end credit suite. 

Thanks. I was under the impression that Only I Will Remain scored the final scene and Lisan al Ghaib the end titles, mostly because the former seemed to me more like "film cue" while the latter, being obviously a suite, it could only be the credits. Guess it's not the case then. 

On 22/2/2024 at 1:05 PM, badbu said:

Idk…but the cue „Kiss the ring“ is so powerful at the end (big build up) so i think this could be the last cue.

Only i will remain sounds like the end credits and Lisan al Gaib maybe o bonus track. But i will find it out on Wednesday :) 

🏻the sixth sense :D 

23 minutes ago, Edmilson said:

Thanks. I was under the impression that Only I Will Remain scored the final scene and Lisan al Ghaib the end titles, mostly because the former seemed to me more like "film cue" while the latter, being obviously a suite, it could only be the credits. Guess it's not the case then. 

"Only I Will Remain" appears to be the end titles, yes. I was unsure before, but listening to it again now, I remember the singing and ambiance in the beginning.

On 27/2/2024 at 2:43 AM, MedigoScan said:

This is correct. Eclipse starts with the music that shows the title of the film and there's a short prologue that is scored but not featured on the soundtrack as it appears in the film. There's also some missing music from the Water of Life track (from what I can remember). Most of the major beats are represented in the soundtrack, however; there just appear to be minor cues missing/alterned. 

Probably the most glaring missing piece of music has to do with Gurney Halleck

Spoiler

and a certain instrument missing from the last film. 

But I wasn't necessarily expecting that to appear here. Hopefully the FYC will include that track in an extended form. 

And I can confirm, the ending of Kiss the Ring is the smash to the End Credits. Only I Will Remain is the first part of the End Credits suite, but does not contain all the end credits music (which ends with a reprisal of the Seduction theme).