Temple of Doom is celebrating 40 years in 2024

I have nothing major to add but 40 years ago we were introduced to the COOLEST and most evil Indy villain, in this one scene the audience is left with one message: this guy is a step below the devil and he is not to be messed with, (that is until Indy gets involved;)), the cinematography and of course the score is absolute perfection here. "Kalliiiiiii maaaaaa"

10 hours ago, Tallguy said:

There is only one perfect Indiana Jones movie.

I love all the Spielberg-Lucas movies, but I also agree with this. Raiders is frictionless in its tonal consistency, and, most important to me, it has atmosphere.

4 hours ago, Schilkeman said:

I love all the Spielberg-Lucas movies, but I also agree with this. Raiders is frictionless in its tonal consistency, and, most important to me, it has atmosphere.

Just like DoD.

Or Star Wars.

21 hours ago, Naïve Old Fart said:

Oh, come on!

I did it, last week :lol:

That’s nothing. I ripped a man’s beating heart out last week, then threw him into molten lava.

19 hours ago, Bellosh said:

Temple of Doom doesn't get made today, and not for any of the 'offensive' reasons.

But because it's such an ANTI-sequel to modern day Hollywood Franchise sequels.

Temple of Doom to the Indiana Jones franchise is basically what Empire Strikes Back is to the Star Wars franchise. 

3 hours ago, JTN said:

Temple of Doom to the Indiana Jones franchise is basically what’s Empire Strikes Back is to the Star Wars franchise

It's not quite one-to-one, but it is the kind of sequel you can only get when the creator owns the company. I miss Lucasfilm everyday.

8 minutes ago, Schilkeman said:

It's not quite one-to-one, but it is the kind of sequel you can only get when the creator owns the company. I miss Lucasfilm everyday.

Not like the sure-fire playing-it-safe crowd pleaser that was The Last Jedi?

16 minutes ago, Nick1Ø66 said:

That was pure hubris from Rian Johnson. 

Perhaps. But still daring. And The Mouse let it happen.

For that matter Lucas was not exactly happy with how Empire turned out, especially the part where it almost bankrupted him and made him go back to 20th Century Fox.

1 hour ago, Tallguy said:

Not like the sure-fire playing-it-safe crowd pleaser that was The Last Jedi?

Convincing people that movie was saying anything was the biggest trick Johnson pulled. Deconstruction is never daring.

Yeah and waiting on box office numbers to see how TFA did can't be the reason.

Episode 7 could have been called Turd McTurd it would have made just as much money.

Maybe they were so naive with the 'formula' (if there is even one) that they thought they could wing it.

Fuck the mouse

And yet the Mouse made three movies (five, actually) that I all liked WAY better than the PT.

And a couple that I probably liked better than Indiana Jones and the Temple of Doom.

Nowhere near as much as Indiana Jones and the Raiders of the Lost Ark. (You can do dumb things like that with the name when the creator owns the company.)

7 minutes ago, Bellosh said:

Episode 7 could have been called Turd McTurd

3 minutes ago, Edmilson said:

And congratulations! We now have another non-Star Wars thread Star Wars-ized successfully!

All roads lead to a galaxy far, far away....

5 hours ago, Tallguy said:

The Mouse let it happen.

You mean Bob Iger and Kathleen Kennedy.

Speaking of KK, I liked her more when she was a night club dancer in ToD. 

kk.jpg

1 hour ago, JTN said:

Speaking of KK, I liked her more when she was a night club dancer in ToD. 

Is this for real? I had no idea! :o

2 hours ago, JTN said:

You mean Bob Iger and Kathleen Kennedy.

But I was responding to

2 hours ago, Bellosh said:

Fuck the mouse

If George's tenure on Star Wars and Indy had always been going from strength to strength then I might understand the Kennedy hate. But while she has yet to make the Perfect Star Wars movie or even a really good Indiana Jones movie she has made more Star Wars movies that I like to watch than George did. (Dial of Destiny is still better than Crystal Skull. I think all of the prequels might be better than Crystal Skull.)

Return of the Jedi was when we started to think he might have had feet of clay. And Indiana Jones and the Temple of Doom (thread!) sealed the deal.

There are Star Wars references in every Indiana Jones movie. Are there any Indy references in any of the Star Wars films?

21 minutes ago, Tallguy said:

Are there any Indy references in any of the Star Wars films?

Not films, but several of the animated shows reference Indiana Jones.

1 hour ago, Bellosh said:

Speaking of references, I always thought when Indy freaks out and runs back after seeing all the thuggees chasing him was a direct reference to Han Solo with the stormtroopers in ANH

Well that’s absolutely no question. 

8 hours ago, filmmusic said:

Is this for real? I had no idea! :o

It is true. This woman has no dick.

(She was young, she needed the money.)

1 hour ago, JTN said:

It is true. This woman has no dick.

(She was young, she needed the money.)

Ghostbusters is next month. (And of course The Naked Gun has a few years to go before turning 40.)

Sword fighting with a gun references aside, Indiana Jones and the Temple of Doom is a completely standalone film, isn't it? You can watch either movie first, it doesn't matter. Which I admit, at 15 I saw as a bug more than a feature mostly because I wanted to see Marcus again. But since this film abandoned its Bond trappings it (other than a pre-credits adventure) it also abandoned its M.

I would also say that the pre-credits adventure (yes, I know, the credits in both films open the movie, but you know what I mean) in Temple of Doom is actually better than Raiders. Maybe? They're close. Same, but different. (Damn, is Karate Kid turning 40 this year too? 1984 was NUTS!)

1 minute ago, Tallguy said:

Ghostbusters is next month.

IMG_0318.gif

8 minutes ago, JTN said:

IMG_0318.gif

Veering off topic again, my favorite line from the Ghostbusters commentary is on that scene: "I think that's the scariest thing we had in the film." "I thought Bill was the scariest thing we had in the film." :lol2:

1 hour ago, Tallguy said:

Ghostbusters is next month. (And of course The Naked Gun has a few years to go before turning 40.)

Sword fighting with a gun references aside, Indiana Jones and the Temple of Doom is a completely standalone film, isn't it? You can watch either movie first, it doesn't matter. Which I admit, at 15 I saw as a bug more than a feature mostly because I wanted to see Marcus again. But since this film abandoned its Bond trappings it (other than a pre-credits adventure) it also abandoned its M.

I would also say that the pre-credits adventure (yes, I know, the credits in both films open the movie, but you know what I mean) in Temple of Doom is actually better than Raiders. Maybe? They're close. Same, but different. (Damn, is Karate Kid turning 40 this year too? 1984 was NUTS!)

I'd say Temple Of Doom's opening is quite Bond-y (not least because it has Indy looking damn sharp in a tux) and has stuff like him using the giant gong as a bulletproof shield, but admittedly the movie becomes less so as it goes on. A footnote is that David Yip dies as an ally of Indy's in it, and the following year he dies as one of Bond's in AVTAK. 

57 minutes ago, Sweeping Strings said:

I'd say Temple Of Doom's opening is quite Bond-y (not least because it has Indy looking damn sharp in a tux) and has stuff like him using the giant gong as a bulletproof shield, but admittedly the movie becomes less so as it goes on. A footnote is that David Yip dies as an ally of Indy's in it, and the following year he dies as one of Bond's in AVTAK. 

I think Indy in the tux straddles the line between Bogie and Bond with the young ignorant folk (me!) thinking more of Bond.

"If adventure has a name... it must be Indiana Jones" has to be one of the greatest tag lines of all time. ("The Man with the Hat is back. And this time he's bringing his dad" is no slouch either.)

On 08/05/2024 at 10:23 PM, Schilkeman said:

That is why I did not like Rebel Moon.  It had no atmosphere.  

(Damn, is Karate Kid turning 40 this year too? 1984 was NUTS!)

'Gremlins' is next month too!

3 hours ago, Tallguy said:

("The Man with the Hat is back. And this time he's bringing his dad" is no slouch either.)

I don't remember that one. I liked "Have the time of your life, keeping up with the Joneses."

4 minutes ago, Nick1Ø66 said:

"Trust Him" was the best.

Yeah, that one puts a smile on my face.

2 hours ago, Tom said:

That is why I did not like Rebel Moon.  It had no atmosphere.  

It also didn't have a decent script, memorable characters, fresh new ideas for the space opera genre...

28 minutes ago, Mr. Hooper said:

'Gremlins' is next month too!

Weirdly, I only saw Gremlins last year during a flight. I actually watched The New Batch years before I saw the first one. Of course, TNB is the superior Gremlins movie.

38 minutes ago, Edmilson said:

TNB is the superior Gremlins movie.

I could never really get into TNB's over-the-top, go-for-broke humour. Too much unfocused and zany parody for me.

I preferred the dark, cautionary tale that was the original. And boy does it get dark... Do we all know why Kate hates Christmas?

That movie must come with a trigger warning now.

31 minutes ago, Naïve Old Fart said:

... STAR TREK III: THE SEARCH FOR SPOCK :)

OBviously. ;)

Indy, The Search for Spock, The Natural,  Gremlins (hello, PG-13!), Red Dawn (like I said), Top Secret, The Karate Kid, Dreamscape, The Muppets Take Manhattan, The Karate Kid, THE ADVENTURES OF BUCKAROO BANZAI (Across the 8th Dimension), The Last Starfighter, The Neverending Story, The Terminator and then later in the year Dune and 2010: The Year We Make Contact! WHEW! And I bet I missed something, too!

13 minutes ago, Mr. Hooper said:

I could never really get into TNB's over-the-top, go-for-broke humour. Too much unfocused and zany parody for me.

To be honest I saw it like over a decade ago, not sure if I'd still like it in a rewatch.

13 minutes ago, Mr. Hooper said:

I preferred the dark, cautionary tale that was the original. And boy does it get dark... Do we all know why Kate hates Christmas?

That movie must come with a trigger warning now.

Yeah, not exactly a movie I would choose to put my kids to watch :lol: I'd rather for them to watch Temple of Doom. Both are fantasies, but Gremlins is set in a typical suburban and thus closer to their reality than a remote location in India.

Goldsmith's score is great though

2 minutes ago, Edmilson said:

To be honest I saw it like over a decade ago, not sure if I'd still like it in a rewatch.

We watched it a couple of years ago. We watched Gremlins and when it got to the blender my wife and daughter bailed. Then my son and I watched 2. And it's as awesome as it always was. (I think the version of Max has the theatrical version of when the Gremlins get into your movie theater. I love that the VHS had a version where instead of the film breaking it looks like the tape got eaten.)

7 minutes ago, Tallguy said:

And I bet I missed something, too!

Let's not forget the Horror genre. There was Children of the Corn, and Friday the 13th: The Final Chapter, which was peak Jason for me.

2 minutes ago, Tallguy said:

(I think the version of Max has the theatrical version of when the Gremlins get into your movie theater. I love that the VHS had a version where instead of the film breaking it looks like the tape got eaten.)

Yeah, that breaking the fourth wall stuff. Part of the everything-and-the-kitchen-sink zaniness I guess I didn't really care for. But good fun for the kids.