The Official Michael Giacchino Thread

• Replies 4.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'd love to jot down a list of themes and their appearances. I just don't have the time.

Well if you or anyone else ever gets around to it, I'd love to read it!

I don't suppose the albums have liner notes that go into any such detail?

The only liner notes on the Lost albums are a note from the composer on the second and a little bit about the pilot signed by the producers on the first one.

If I were to make a list of themes I would go through the series rather than the albums, as there's a few themes that are still unreleased (such as one of the first island mystery themes that still makes regular appearances - and did Charlie's theme ever find its way onto the second album?).

Via Soundtrack.net

Emmy- and Grammy-winning composer Michael Giacchino will join journalist and USC professor Jon Burlingame for "How To 'Score' Big in the Movies," a discussion of Giacchino's career in film scoring, on Thursday, March 20 at 7:30 p.m. at the Los Angeles County Museum of Art's Bing Theatre.

The evening is part of a lecture series presented by Zócalo (Spanish for "Public Square"), a Los Angeles-based organization that creates non-partisan, multi-ethnic forums in which participants can enjoy a rare opportunity for intellectual fellowship.

Giacchino, whose music credits include the animated feature The Incredibles and television's Lost and Alias, recently earned an Oscar nomination for Ratatouille. He will discuss his studies in film production at the School of Visual Arts in New York and composition at Juilliard that eventually led him to film scoring.

Zócalo Radio broadcasts its Public Square series on Sundays at 9 p.m. on Southern California public radio KPCC 89.3 FM or continually on its web site podcast. The discussion between Giacchino and Burlingame will air Sunday, March 23.

LACMA is located at 5905 Wilshire Blvd., Los Angeles. Tickets are free; reservations are required. For more information, call (213) 403-0416, or visit the Zócalo or LACMA web sites.

Just watched Through the Looking Glass part 1, and there's some really nice music in there. The final cue with Charlie and Desmond in the boat is one I'm particularly looking forward to. (could be extracted from the 5.1 file, but that'd be spoiling it)

As for the American release, no one knows.

You might if you read the rest of that article. :lol:

It says the rumored US date is Apr. 22, which seems awfully soon. Dubious.

John- who will neither confirm or deny speculation that thoughts of the release date centered around the chance of ripping Roar as soon as possible

Well, that's just a rumor. I also heard that the release date would be officially announced on March 17, but that is also unconfirmed.

I've heard April 22nd but possibly just a plain DVD with no extras. Supposedly that news came from Matt Reeves.

I've heard that the HD-DVD was going to be loaded but because of it's demise Paramount is scambling to get it ready for Blue-Ray, which will be later in the year.

Hey, I wasn't a fan from the beginning!

Ray Barnsbury - who is now

Ah another convert! Excellent. I still need to get Lost S2.

Random thought bourne by another thread: the more I think about it, Roar is the best piece of film music I've heard since 2005. Discuss.

I wasn't from the beginning and still am only a casual listener. I'm looking forward top the upcoming release though, as the first part of the finale episode had some amazing material.

I only stayed in the cinema for about the first 30 seconds or Roar! and heard a little more as I was walking out, but I liked what I heard. Even if it never does get a release it can still be extracted from the DVD.

Geez I bought both volumes as soon as they were released. :P

Same here.

Anyone else think his clever track titles make the whole score experience much better? I just love the puns and "world's worst/best..." in the names.

I only stayed in the cinema for about the first 30 seconds or Roar! and heard a little more as I was walking out, but I liked what I heard. Even if it never does get a release it can still be extracted from the DVD.

That means you are only going to get the edited 10-11 minute version instead of the complete 13 minute version which will be released shortly.

-Erik-

Random thought bourne by another thread: the more I think about it, Roar is the best piece of film music I've heard since 2005. Discuss.

Agreed. Well, except maybe for Ratatouille's end credits.

That means you are only going to get the edited 10-11 minute version instead of the complete 13 minute version which will be released shortly.

-Erik-

Glad to hear it :P Not an itunes exclusive though I hope.

(why do they edit these things? Cretins.)

-Erik-

:P

:fouetaa: YAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAYYYY!!!!!!!!!!!!! :P

Ok, now that I've regained my composure... Just how short is "shortly"? I would guess this might be some sort of DVD promotional tie-in, perhaps the week of or prior to the release. But hopefully I'm wrong and it means tomorrow. :)

Can't wait for the Lost stuff.

Anyways today I was listening to MoH: Frontline...

And honestly, the only complaint I ever see leveled against him is lacking a spark or heart in his music. How can someone listen to "The Rowhouses" or "The Halftrack Chase" and say his music lacks heart or spark?

And now for the encore performance:

Here he comes

Here comes Speed Racer

He's a demon on wheels

He's a demon and he's gonna be chasin' after someone.

He's gainin' on you so you better look alive.

He's busy revvin' up a powerful Mach 5.

And when the odds are against him

And there's dangerous work to do

You bet your life Speed Racer

Will see it through.

Go Speed Racer

Go Speed Racer

Go Speed Racer, Go!

He's off and flyin' as he guns the car around the track

He's jammin' down the pedal like he's never comin' back

Adventure's waitin' just ahead.

Go Speed Racer